New tool thread

F78E0C74-CB62-4F53-9A7E-EE57FB7643EA.jpeg
7E558BB2-944D-4CCB-A4EE-57FD74FEF9E2.jpeg
449bc10a-d386-4a65-9fb1-8d551d2d5701-jpeg.94043
3D20CB32-70D4-4A6C-BD15-472468689DD3.jpeg
A8C8DEF2-CC13-4B5E-AD55-F779324AE09D.jpeg
F29ADA04-F950-4B7F-9DDD-1AF8C0DD959B.jpeg

Pawn shop tools. New to me so new tool arrival for me haha. Craftsman toolbox and some random tools I filled it up with too plus 3 DVD and a Dale Earnhardt license plate for $10 total. Then Honda crank pulley tool, two twisted and broken Snap-on bit sockets 7/32 and 5/32 I will have those replaced. As far as I know they only replace the bits in them these are the pin style now they have pinless ones so I’m not sure if the same type of bit fits it or what but either way my dealer will take care of me. Then a Blue Point E4 E Torx socket. Then a Cat branded socket which is made by Snap-on and a PM T50 torx but socket which I collect that brand so I picked that up. $17.90 out the door for all of that.

They had a Matco dead blow hammer that was pretty used for $45 they said they would take $37 for it I passed on that I’d rather buy one from somewhere else because I have nobody to replace the Matco as my dealership won’t warranty Matco stuff and they banned any Matco franchises so yeah I’d be kind of in trouble if it broke. The second pawn shop is typically where I get all my broken Snap-on stuff and have it replaced because get it cheap then replace that’s the best way to do it. It’s technically only supposed to be for the original owner but you know…. I have spent enough money with them they can take care of me. They had some Mac stuff too and there is a new Mac dealer who is supposed to show up starting in April so we will see how he is. I have not been impressed with modern Mac but the stuff they have is older.

Attachments

• 449BC10A-D386-4A65-9FB1-8D551D2D5701.jpeg
    449BC10A-D386-4A65-9FB1-8D551D2D5701.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 390
.... two twisted and broken Snap-on bit sockets 7/32 and 5/32 I will have those replaced. As far as I know they only replace the bits in them these are the pin style now they have pinless ones so I’m not sure if the same type of bit fits it or what but either way my dealer will take care of me.........The second pawn shop is typically where I get all my broken Snap-on stuff and have it replaced because get it cheap then replace that’s the best way to do it. It’s technically only supposed to be for the original owner but you know…. I have spent enough money with them they can take care of me.
You and your Snap-on dealer have an interesting relationship. 🤼‍♂️ :LOL:

5F7FC634-8901-414E-B968-8A2684FAB417.jpeg
8209AA52-E87D-48BD-B620-37FB49A9CD63.jpeg

A couple new goodies from the orange store. 10mm Husky deep 3/8 10mm 6 point socket. You can’t ever have too many 10mm. I got this to have as an extra.

Then a 15mm shallow 6 point Husky socket. To replace my Craftsman USA that the shop thief got away with 😡. He almost got away with some more of my stuff but I caught him those times. It’s a shame someone would take something that you worked hard to get. I can’t stand a thief. He is one of our express tech. I confronted him and he got red faced saying no man all my sockets are Gearwrench. Someone else confronted him and he started shaking. I said dude if you took it over the weekend just tell me and be honest that’s all I want or if it’s under the hood of a car somewhere just tell me. If you lose something of mine I expect it to be replaced. I’ve always made it even with my coworkers if I broke or lost something of theirs and that’s what I expect too. At least he didn’t get away with my Snap-on one. Don’t think I’m going to put this socket on my rail though. I came up with a plan I bought a really really cheap no name at the pawn shop to put on the rail so if someone does take it they get a crappy one and I’m keeping this one somewhere else. I didn’t have an extra 6 point one to bring there so I got one. Not that I use 15mm a lot but it’s there for when I need it.

Last but not least I got a Milwaukee Inkzall marker. It was .97 cents. I like having permanent markers around you just never know when you’ll need it.

For over 50 years, one of the most essential and used tools in my toolbox is a pair of cheap slipjoint pliers...cheap because the name brands don't, or didn't make such rubbish. One brand I used was ETC...my current pair no name from a hardware store, and over 20 years old. Most common use was and still is brake shoe retaining springs...the washer type - push in, 1/4 turn and off...or on. These days also small spring hose clips like heater and fuel lines.
20220328_154402.jpg

Today I got a pair of Knipex slipjoint pliers - and these are on a whole new level ! 4 settings with just a button, they will even self adjust if you hold the button. These will do all the things I try to do with my old cheap ones...but this time will actually do the job !

20220328_154411.jpg

I also got a Milwaukee 1/4 drive ratchet, looks good - we'll see on that .

I have my eye on a pair of those Knipex pliers, but they are in very short supply and the prices are ridiculous. A year ago they were $30 at Amazon, now they are $55-$60. I can wait for a price reduction.

For over 50 years, one of the most essential and used tools in my toolbox is a pair of cheap slipjoint pliers...cheap because the name brands don't, or didn't make such rubbish. One brand I used was ETC...my current pair no name from a hardware store, and over 20 years old. Most common use was and still is brake shoe retaining springs...the washer type - push in, 1/4 turn and off...or on. These days also small spring hose clips like heater and fuel lines.
View attachment 94327

Today I got a pair of Knipex slipjoint pliers - and these are on a whole new level ! 4 settings with just a button, they will even self adjust if you hold the button. These will do all the things I try to do with my old cheap ones...but this time will actually do the job !

View attachment 94328

I also got a Milwaukee 1/4 drive ratchet, looks good - we'll see on that .
Cee Tee is the name brand that makes good ones. I think they have been absorbed into Crescent so who knows if that is the case anymore.

I agree on them being essential for brake shoe retainers. I have used the correct tool a couple of times but am better at using slip joints.

Wanted a pair of cheap calipers that I won't feel bad about knocking off the workbench onto the hard concrete floor by accident. BTDT.

Actually pretty well made for twenty bucks. I made a conscious effort to avoid those powered by LR44/SR44 batteries, in favor of the now ubiquitous, and cheap, lithium CR2032 cells.

Another factor I consider when shopping cheap Fabriqué en Chine product is to look at the seller's other offerings, and prioritize those who specialize.

A tool from a tool company, or in this case, hardware seller, over one peddling a random mishmash of stuff, including clothing, who won't know or care about what they sell, just moving stuff.

Applicable no matter if it's BezosLand, Aliexpress, or wherever.

Attachments

• vigrue.jpg
    vigrue.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 14
I agree on them being essential for brake shoe retainers. I have used the correct tool a couple of times but am better at using slip joints.
I have the the ''correct'' tools, but slipjoints are my go to for the job. Another use for my slipjoints is motorcycle chain connecting links - so today it was the job for Knipex...the clip almost fell off and on again. I was trying to get the feel of the thin clip in the pliers...and next thing the clip is on the floor !

View attachment 94041View attachment 94042
449bc10a-d386-4a65-9fb1-8d551d2d5701-jpeg.94043
View attachment 94044View attachment 94045View attachment 94046
Pawn shop tools. New to me so new tool arrival for me haha. Craftsman toolbox and some random tools I filled it up with too plus 3 DVD and a Dale Earnhardt license plate for $10 total. Then Honda crank pulley tool, two twisted and broken Snap-on bit sockets 7/32 and 5/32 I will have those replaced. As far as I know they only replace the bits in them these are the pin style now they have pinless ones so I’m not sure if the same type of bit fits it or what but either way my dealer will take care of me. Then a Blue Point E4 E Torx socket. Then a Cat branded socket which is made by Snap-on and a PM T50 torx but socket which I collect that brand so I picked that up. $17.90 out the door for all of that.

They had a Matco dead blow hammer that was pretty used for $45 they said they would take $37 for it I passed on that I’d rather buy one from somewhere else because I have nobody to replace the Matco as my dealership won’t warranty Matco stuff and they banned any Matco franchises so yeah I’d be kind of in trouble if it broke. The second pawn shop is typically where I get all my broken Snap-on stuff and have it replaced because get it cheap then replace that’s the best way to do it. It’s technically only supposed to be for the original owner but you know…. I have spent enough money with them they can take care of me. They had some Mac stuff too and there is a new Mac dealer who is supposed to show up starting in April so we will see how he is. I have not been impressed with modern Mac but the stuff they have is older.
All the pawn shops in my area (all the same company "****'s Pawn" - the name is appropriate) have insanely high prices and limited tool selections. For example, a 5+ year old Dewalt 1/4 impact (minus the battery) is marked at $125 and a set of Snap On combination wrenches is $525. They can keep their used/worn out tools for those prices! I'm just jealous that @AutoMechanic gets all the good deals... :cry:

69F339B1-8C0D-44AE-BB55-23AB3F96A063.jpeg
672D1A96-6228-42CB-912A-F4D49D10978B.jpeg
56FA649D-2595-43AF-84B6-4B5CB07A0AC0.jpeg
1FF5302C-CAE3-4F50-B956-8D13BFCFF473.jpeg

Snap-on Thursday today. My favorite day of the week other than Friday lol 😂. You know I have to have my socks. Everyone can’t understand the draw to them but if you have ever worn them you know how good they are. Also got a multimeter. I’ve been wanting one and they were on sale so I went ahead and got one. He had some more digital type ones but I haven’t ever used one like that so while I’m still a rookie at electrical stuff I chose to get this one and the guy who I do a lot of electrical stuff with has the same one so he is going to help me out with it as I’m learning more electrical as it’s the one area I am working on improving. Then two warranty screwdrivers. The one that looks new is new he ordered a replacement handle and the tip was messed up too so he replaced it. I was a little nervous of how hard he was hitting it since it was a new handle but it went on fine after some persuasion. Then the other screwdriver I got from eBay the tip was ground down on it so he replaced that for me with no hassle which I appreciate. He ordered the two hex bits I needed replaced as he doesn’t stock SAE hex bit replacements on the truck. I guess that’s understandable but I do appreciate him taking care of it as he really doesn’t have too, that’s why I give him my business.

View attachment 94665View attachment 94666View attachment 94667View attachment 94668
Snap-on Thursday today. My favorite day of the week other than Friday lol 😂. You know I have to have my socks. Everyone can’t understand the draw to them but if you have ever worn them you know how good they are. Also got a multimeter. I’ve been wanting one and they were on sale so I went ahead and got one. He had some more digital type ones but I haven’t ever used one like that so while I’m still a rookie at electrical stuff I chose to get this one and the guy who I do a lot of electrical stuff with has the same one so he is going to help me out with it as I’m learning more electrical as it’s the one area I am working on improving. Then two warranty screwdrivers. The one that looks new is new he ordered a replacement handle and the tip was messed up too so he replaced it. I was a little nervous of how hard he was hitting it since it was a new handle but it went on fine after some persuasion. Then the other screwdriver I got from eBay the tip was ground down on it so he replaced that for me with no hassle which I appreciate. He ordered the two hex bits I needed replaced as he doesn’t stock SAE hex bit replacements on the truck. I guess that’s understandable but I do appreciate him taking care of it as he really doesn’t have too, that’s why I give him my business.
How does he get the old handles off? Maybe it’s a dumb question.

View attachment 94665View attachment 94666View attachment 94667View attachment 94668
No hammers?

Back