New tool thread

20220309_171626.jpg
1 - Snappy MT302A starter switch. $50 at local pawn. I took it out of packaging to test it and I'm 99.9% sure it's never been used based upon the twist ties, instructions and overall condition

2 - OTC leak down tester. Returned the overpriced Maddox from HF and purchased this. The Maddox is probably great I just don't support HF's attempt at gaslighting the consumer by setting prices high to thus argue their newer stuff must just be that good

3 - RocketSocket set at a good price from Amazon thanks to this forum

4 - random chisel $2 from local pawn. I just so happen to already use this EXACT chisel as my favorite for de-dingleberrying weldments so a spare is appreciated. This one is marked "WF" so I imagine it was built not far from me at Western Forge near Colo Spgs (RIP)

A shorty (5.5 inch) wrench from Lobtex. Max opening is 1 3/16 inch (30mm)
View attachment 92093

Compared to my largest adjustable wrench (Proto 18") and smallest wrench (no-name 4.5")
View attachment 92094
I've got this one from Amazon and absolutely love it. Just measured max opening at 2-3/8". It's what I know as a "beak jaw" design meaning the jaws taper thinner near the top. It's stupid useful for tons of things
20220309_172941.jpg

Doing some demolition/construction at a house my brothers and I inherited so picked up these to assist. 12v 3 3/8" circular saw and the basic 18v reciprocating saw. Already have both 12v and 18v Makita batteries. I have a corded full size DeWalt circular saw but I think this little one will be very useful for some of the tear out and remodeling jobs, always wanted a reciprocating saw and this one should work great. Didn't bother with the brushless or multi-battery model as it'll get pretty intermittent use.

IMG_0419(1).jpg

B035855C-C7C0-4B8B-B635-9CE7BB3457AB.jpeg

Almost missed the truck on Thursday I would of been a sad person then lol 😂. Got so busy with my new guy I’m training I didn’t realize the truck was there as he usually doesn’t get a chance to come in the shop. I had to convince the new guy to go with me because he can’t be left alone since his tech number is not certified yet. Bought these even smaller set of needle nose pliers. I like these for pulling fuses and getting stuff in hard to reach areas. I used them to take off a license plate for a salesman too. It’s another one that the screw holders were trying to come out with so I snuck these behind there and grabbed the holder and twisted the screw out with a screwdriver with these being smaller than my other ones really done well. He had a pink set as well but they were sold.

Most of you probably thought I had finally stopped buying stuff lol 😂. Also had him order me three new hammer handles for my eBay hammers that are Blue Point. Probably will pick up a multimeter next week as they are on sale this month as I’m doing more and more electrical work because I’m trying to learn more electrical diagnostics as that’s what I struggle with the most so they are letting me do it with someone to learn. Just trying to decide if I want auto or manual range I’ve used both.

E0DC3E1E-4111-4809-8BCF-34C798B691C1.jpeg
CD496B11-1ADC-4E11-9572-3368C9F4C9EF.jpeg
7571A639-A58F-4B43-A957-C45C65D92682.jpeg
C561F620-B137-46AA-839D-5F73BAF949D9.jpeg

This is just a few of the new to me tools I got today at an estate sale. Posting them all would require 2-3 posts and tons of writing so I’m just going to post the two coolest ones. The others are mainly just older hand tools and two old baseball gloves for my collection. So got this old Craftsman toolbox for $65 had it priced at $80 dad offered them $50 they said $65 it’s yours, sold. Guessing probably mid 70s could be wrong. And then the only Snap-on tool he had was this really old 1/2 ratchet. On the ratchet is a Snap-on 1946 date code 9/16 socket with two slots cut in it. Pretty interesting modification for sure. I wish I could of asked the guy the story behind it. The ratchet is really hard to see the date code but I believe it is the one for 1945. The person of the estate is still alive just in assisted living it is a friend’s dad of my best friend. So there is a chance I’ll get to talk to him sometime maybe. Now I really have to do some spring cleaning because there is literally no room for this toolbox but I was not passing it up. One guy showed up with the money for the toolbox at the end of the sale but it was mine already lol. He tried offering us $80 for it as we were loading it said no sorry. He got really angry and walked away he went to the guys son who was running the sale and said look I have the full $80 guy said sorry those two gentlemen had the cash on hand for the negotiated price. The sale goes tomorrow too but they need to get rid of everything so they said come back tomorrow for even better prices I just knew the Snap-on for $3 and the toolbox would not be there so I scooped them up.

Those snap on vice grips look awesome a little hard to swallow the price yet (meaning I haven’t talked myself in to them yet)

I am hoping there is a promo coming at some point since they are still fairly new

I got this set recently it was on back order since before Christmas

Attachments

• B92C9F9E-A44E-4E37-BE4D-20CD7DDBED77.jpeg
    B92C9F9E-A44E-4E37-BE4D-20CD7DDBED77.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 17
Doing some demolition/construction at a house my brothers and I inherited so picked up these to assist. 12v 3 3/8" circular saw and the basic 18v reciprocating saw. Already have both 12v and 18v Makita batteries. I have a corded full size DeWalt circular saw but I think this little one will be very useful for some of the tear out and remodeling jobs, always wanted a reciprocating saw and this one should work great. Didn't bother with the brushless or multi-battery model as it'll get pretty intermittent use.

View attachment 92257
I can verify that the reciprocating saw works well, and the little circular saw is awesome. Super handy.

Also not pictured is the Harbor Freight toe-kick saw also procured for this job. Used it for cutting along the perimeter of the subfloor in a bathroom. Made very short work of it, saving a ton of time. Used an oscillating saw to get the corners.

Probably will pick up a multimeter next week as they are on sale this month as I’m doing more and more electrical work because I’m trying to learn more electrical diagnostics as that’s what I struggle with the most so they are letting me do it with someone to learn. Just trying to decide if I want auto or manual range I’ve used both.

I own both.....I prefer manual ranging because I usually know which scale I need to be in.

Most of you probably thought I had finally stopped buying stuff lol 😂. Also had him order me three new hammer handles for my eBay hammers that are Blue Point. Probably will pick up a multimeter next week as they are on sale this month as I’m doing more and more electrical work because I’m trying to learn more electrical diagnostics as that’s what I struggle with the most so they are letting me do it with someone to learn. Just trying to decide if I want auto or manual range I’ve used both.

I just picked this one up. I don't do a ton of electrical but my 20yr old no name gave up the ghost. The reviews on YouTube and Amazon really are fantastic. So far I am very happy with the functionality. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07SHLS639?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

My pawn seems to always have mid to upper end Flukes at considerable savings

I've never really been afraid of used DMMs, particularly something like Fluke. They tend to self-protect very well so if the display works and it looks ok you should be fine. You can easily test continuity right there on the floor and any reputable pawn should let you stick it in a socket to check AC voltage if you want

I needed to do an ignition cylinder on a GMT400 and realized I was woefully unprepared with no lock plate compressor. So I got a little carried away and ordered the full Mac kit (looks like OTC?) and the Matco lower right (edit: both used on ebay)

Lower middle: a baby Tone 1/4" dr ratchet to go with my same one that has a 3/8" anvil

Lower left: IP82 SnapOn swivel from pawn for $21. I didn't even bother to try to talk them down as these are over $150 new
20220315_192613.jpg

I needed to do an ignition cylinder on a GMT400 and realized I was woefully unprepared with no lock plate compressor.

GM/Saginaw column rebuilding used to almost be a business of it's own. The average mechanic would tear them up or put them together wrong.

When I worked a Frank Kent Cadillac in the mid 90's.....I was THE column guy. Wasn't unusual to do 8-9 column repairs a day, Not just Cadillacs, But all GM brands & quite a few AMC/Jeep products.

Theft repair where they beat the cover up with a hammer to expose the key switch rack & ignition switch actuation rod was a big money maker as it was insurance pay.
Tightening up loose Tilt columns was also quite common, Most mechanics at the time didn't have the E-Torx socket to service the 4 tilt base bolts. And the Pin/Bushing puller was never in the tool room....I have a Snap-on one & a Kent Moore one I bought through the dealer.
I preferred OTC lock plate & steering wheel puller tools over the Kent Moore stuff.

Your post just brought up those memories.....I rarely repair a GM/Saginaw column anymore.

Reactions: D60
Pawn shop(s) finds:
Blue Point ball pein $20

Random oil filter pliers for small filters $4

SnapOn 1-15/16" 12pt crow foot line wrench $5. This appears to sell for $122 on SnapOn's site as AN850831B. I'll probably never need it but for $5 it'll look good in my crow foot drawer
20220321_121558.jpg

GM/Saginaw column rebuilding used to almost be a business of it's own. The average mechanic would tear them up or put them together wrong.

When I worked a Frank Kent Cadillac in the mid 90's.....I was THE column guy. Wasn't unusual to do 8-9 column repairs a day, Not just Cadillacs, But all GM brands & quite a few AMC/Jeep products.

Theft repair where they beat the cover up with a hammer to expose the key switch rack & ignition switch actuation rod was a big money maker as it was insurance pay.
Tightening up loose Tilt columns was also quite common, Most mechanics at the time didn't have the E-Torx socket to service the 4 tilt base bolts. And the Pin/Bushing puller was never in the tool room....I have a Snap-on one & a Kent Moore one I bought through the dealer.
I preferred OTC lock plate & steering wheel puller tools over the Kent Moore stuff.

Your post just brought up those memories.....I rarely repair a GM/Saginaw column anymore.
Had an 84 Impala in high school that got so loose on the tilt steering that the dimmer switch wouldn't work most of the time. Bought the switch and went to replace it and couldn't stand on my head enough to do it. I figured out that if you pushed the steering wheel to the left it would work. Used to freak people out to grab the middle of the steering wheel and start rolling the column in a circle. I think it was because i pulled to much on the steering wheel getting in and out of it.

Back