New to the Site with Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello oil guru's

I have a 06 Subaru Tribeca I bought it used with 13,000 miles. I have used Quaker State Syn, and Valvoline Syn, and use wix filters ( I just bought a couple factory oil filters the other day). Does anyone know what type of oil and filter a Subaru really likes? I change my oil every 5,000 miles and live in hilly W.V. can or should I go longer.

I also have a 99 Honda Civic and have run Castrol syn since 75,000 and currently have 130,000. I have a small oil leak. I use about 1/4 a quart from 2,300 to 3,000 then I change it and it doesn't require oil again about 2,300. Should I keep changing it at 3,000 or just keep adding oil and wait 5,000. Keep in mind I have no clue how much oil I would loose beyond 3,000 miles.

Thanks for all your advice. Great Site!!!

I'm not familiar with your Subie's engine, but you're using great oils and they can go past 5k - may have warranty issues though.

Depending on where your leak is in the Civic, you may want to look at an A-rx or the use of HM oils. Regardless, I would definitely do at least 5k OCIs. I developed a leak in my 88 Mazda while using Synths (but these were PAO) - I went back to dino and the leak stopped (totally) within one OCI - I now us M1 HM 10w30 and appear to have acheived very low oil consumption (and still no leaks). Close to 220k miles on the engine.

Leaks typically don't react in a non-linear manner. They don't typically care how many miles are on the oil. Are you sure it's a leak ..as in physical dips/drops on the ground or whatever??

You didn't mention your annual mileage. If it's 10k on each, then 5k probably makes sense ..or about 6 months. If you're higher than 10k ..then I'd still stick with 6months up to 15k ..then I might suggest oils that are buffered more for extended drains.

On the honda the shop guy said it was a back end seal leak, it doesn't leave deposits in the driveway. When i change the oil the oil pan has a coat of oil on it. This car see's obout 18,000 a year. 50% highway 50% city. The Subaru see's about 22,000 miles a year 60% highway 40% city.

What is A-rx? I'm not down with the oil lingo yet.

And what is the best oil filter for vehicles?

Thanks for the input.

Well, I think you are good with the 5w30 Synpower personally but your car does spec 5w30 normally so any oil you feel comfortable with will work. As for filters, I really like the SuperTech filters at Walmart.

A-rx is auto-rx - http://www.auto-rx.com. Haven't used it myself but it's got a huge following on BITOG (lot's of good testimonials).

If I were doing 22k/yr with that much HW I would definitely go to 6 mo OCIs (10k+ miles) - actually I would go longer (15k'ish but most folks won't go there). Amsoil is the premiere long drain oil. In the past I've done one yr 25k mile OCIs on Amsoil - that car has close to 220k on it and still runs great - it's now my grocery getter. If you're going to keep it at 10k or under, you have several Synthetic oils to choose from.

My old BMW 3201 didn't use any oil from a fresh oil change, then at 2-2,500 miles would start to consume it.
I assume it was from oil shearing down - who knows?
If you keep adding oil, you get a perpetual oil change, of sorts.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
My old BMW 3201 didn't use any oil from a fresh oil change, then at 2-2,500 miles would start to consume it.
I assume it was from oil shearing down - who knows?
If you keep adding oil, you get a perpetual oil change, of sorts.

My Mitsubishi 3.0 did sorta the same thing. No consumption up to 3k ..then consumed it regularly. Usually the second quart signaled me to change it out before the third one was due.

Don't think that 1/4 in 3k is much to worry about. If it isn't dripping on the ground, it's probably being consumed, but you did say that the pan had oil on it. I would still think that if the leak was bad enough, it would drip (unless it's blowing back at speed but you would see that). My old Corolla (1993) used about 1/4 to 1/2 qt in 3k during it's later years (I kept it 176k and then sold it. It has 220+k on it now and still runs fine). I used Syntec 5w30 in it since 40k.

Search the UOA forums for Subies and see what's been working and what hasn't. I "think" most of the problems those guys had were in the turbo'd engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back