New To Me Car

BrendanC

$100 site donor 2024
Well, i bought another accord today. i’ve just accepted a new job that will have me commuting 70 miles daily and i didn’t really want to eat the fuel bill on my truck.

it is a 2005 honda accord 2.4L K24 with the 5 speed auto. has 154k miles on it and is a fully loaded car. the seats are trashed and have seat covers on them. despite that the rest of the car is in very good cosmetic condition.

Did a pad slap on all four corners with carquest platinum ceramics. cleaned and lubed all slide pins. changed the intake tube with a dorman unit and replaced engine air filter/cabin air filter. also put a set of Denso Iridium twin tips in it. the plugs that were in it looked to be original denso iridium’s. have an entire front end coming monday utilizing carquest premium parts just like the other accord in my sig. i also have VTC solenoid gaskets and valve cover gaskets to do. both driver side cv axle boots are torn so i have a new one coming in.

also did a short hot berrymans b12 piston soak while i was pad slapping it.

did an oil change on it as soon as i got it back. drained unknown oil with a STP S7317 filter on it. went back in with 4 quarts of PUP 5w-30 and 1 quart HPL EC30 with an OG wire backed Fram Titanium FS7317.

i ordered a 6 row transmission cooler with a derale filter base to plumb in on the transmission. it will use a Carquest Premium filter in a motorcraft FL1a size. the transmission will still be heated by the radiator but then filtered and cooled before returning through the factory external filter.

i also ordered a engine oil cooler for a 2012 kia optima to mount onto the oil filter base of the K24. it will be plumbed in to the throttle body heater lines of the K24 to heat and cool the oil.

i’ll post photos tomorrow, i was too busy to take photos of it today. attached to this post are photos through the oil fill hole and the set of wheels it will be getting. my mother recently totaled her 2017 accord and is gifting me the set of wheels off of it.

IMG_7563.jpeg

IMG_7562.jpeg

IMG_7561.jpeg

IMG_7558.jpeg

Sheesh, that old Accord probably never had it that good in its life! 🤣

This should be a durable, reliable ride for that commute.

I’m looking at something like this for my niece to use for work (her minivan is too large, her words). 🤔

This is a nice generation of Accord. They drive well, handle well, are pretty comfy and are quick enough and quite economical to run.
Hope you enjoy many uneventful miles, particularly since you've addressed a number of potential problems from the start.

Does it really need another trans cooler? planning to tow with this? or just worried about stop and go traffic?

The car should last a long time and save you some gas money too. It sounds as if you plan on keeping it well maintained. I always like the Honda Accords and had a brand new 07 at one time with the V6. I am sure you will probably do a drain and fill on the transmission too.

Does it really need another trans cooler? planning to tow with this? or just worried about stop and go traffic?
without a trans cooler it sits at just 195-200 going down the freeway. the accord in my sig has the same setup i’m putting on this one and never gets above 175. i also have 6 quarts of HPL Green coming for this thing. i’ll do a drain and fill, then pump the cooler lines out with the vehicle running until it’s all nice and green.

May want to check the 2005 Accord for recall of air bags to be sure it didn't slip through the fix . Some are , I tink there was 1 death due to it . Looks like there's 2 recalls for the air bag . You'll need to go to HONDA site ( https://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls ) or NHTSA ( https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls ) and enter V.I.N. to be sure repairs were done . That's if the vehicle was involved . Better to be safe than sorry . Hope it lasts for years .

Last edited:
Gotta agree here. The k24 engine in that year is unlikely to overstrain that transmission, and from experience with that same car, would note that trans trouble is quite often linked to the solenoid sensors. I would add a new PCV and as others have suggested, perform a trans flush and fill. I would add that the right OCI for this vehicle is 5,000 miles imho. Also not really feeling the oil cooler, as not solving a real problem and adding a few catastrophic failure points.

Judging by the '03 my mother had until a careless Fedex delivery driver pulled out into her path and totaled the car, the oil filter is in an awful location on these, way high up in the rear.
Other than oil filter location and interior room and trunk space, this generation is a better car in every way than the Gen 8 I owned.

Really pleased with our ‘07 K24 Accord, bought new in December ‘06. 180k km’s and no repairs yet, just routine maintenance. Great all around car.
After this many years it’s practically a member of the family.

Last edited:
Back