New to me 2020 Acura TLX Technology

Today I bought an Acura Certified 2020 TLX Technology, 2.4L. It came off a 36 month lease, has less than 28K miles and came with all uptodate dealer service records. Average oil change interval was 5,560 miles on Honda synthetic oil. I had been looking for an extra clean 2020 with the K24 motor instead of the 2021 and newer models that came with with the turbocharged motor. Two years ago I had a 2021 TLX as a loaner for three days and didn't like it with the engine noise piped into the cabin, and I wasn't sold on the long term life of the turbo. It's not a world beater with the K24, but to me it rides and drives better than the reviews I've read. It's my 5th ever Acura, so I have familiarity with the brand after a 1990 Legend, a 1996 RL. a 1998 TL and a 2018 RDX (which someone on here referred to as a hairdresser's car). I'll feed it top tier premium fuel and 5w-20 synthetic oil. Since it'll be used between NC and FL in mild to hot climates, I have no need to use 0w-20. It's nice to know that my stash of oil and filters for the Ridgeline can be used on this vehicle. Also a pleasant change I had: an excellent dealer experience at Crown Acura in Clearwater FL.

Last edited:
Nice choice, and good for you sticking with the K24.

I have to say, I love your Acura history. An original Legend? An original RL? Those were (and continue to be) wonderful machines.

I LOVE THE OLD LEGENDS!!! One of my favorite cars of all times. Saved my moms life when she was T-boned by another vehicle at 35mph. They hit the drivers door and she got up and crawled out of the passenger door on her own.

TLX should be a fun, easy and also practical car to live with. K24 is a gooddddd choice!

I have the 2017 version and it’s been a really good car. As you say, it not a high-performance machine, but has more than adequate acceleration, excellent fuel economy (tho the 91 octane recommendation erodes some of the benefit), a massive trunk and very quiet cruising. Very nice DCT, too. Nothing other than routine maintenance thus far.

Just one UOA by OAI: all was in order with fuel dilution of only 2% or so, which I call a win in the DI world. Now that I’m out of warranty think I’ll switch to Mobil1 0W-30.

Good luck with yours!

Nice choice, and good for you sticking with the K24.

I have to say, I love your Acura history. An original Legend? An original RL? Those were (and continue to be) wonderful machines.
The 1990 Legend L sedan was one of my top 3 favorite cars my wife and I have owned. Purchased new in PA, it lasted 220K miles until my two teenage sons knocked the snot out of it.

The 1990 Legend L sedan was one of my top 3 favorite cars my wife and I have owned. Purchased new in PA, it lasted 220K miles until my two teenage sons knocked the snot out of it.

I bet it endured quite a bit of snot-kicking, though!

The newer ones with GDI. Rod bearing issues, mostly on the TLX and some MDX’s.
A j35 is what’s going in all v6 applications? Like a pilot and an odyssey? I haven’t heard of engine issues, I’m on a few groups and boards to keep tabs on issues on cars we’re considering.

The newer ones with GDI. Rod bearing issues, mostly on the TLX and some MDX’s.
I was not aware of this so I looked around some of the forums (TLX and MDX forums) and the people having the problems of spun bearings most appear to use have used 0w-20.

My experience with these GDI J35s is they smell like a gas can when changing oil and the disptick is always over full mark.

Could it be excessive fuel dilution and low HTHS causing all these as the design of the bottom end has really non changed in these engines?

I was not aware of this so I looked around some of the forums (TLX and MDX forums) and the people having the problems of spun bearings most appear to use have used 0w-20.

My experience with these GDI J35s is they smell like a gas can when changing oil and the disptick is always over full mark.

Could it be excessive fuel dilution and low HTHS causing all these as the design of the bottom end has really non changed in these engines?
I run an Xw-30 in my MDX and haven't ever had pronounced fuel smells, and the level never changes over the course of 12 months/7500 miles. It's also short-tripped in a very cold climate, but despite "severe service" conditions I've never had a problem.

Back