New to EcoDiesel - questions about first oil change

Good morning all. I just bought a 2022 Ram 1500 with the 3.0L EcoDiesel, and I have a few questions. I've searched BITOG and am up to speed on the proper spec - MS-12991 - so no questions there. As a newbie to EcoDiesel and diesels in general, I have two questions:

(1) When is the "ideal" time for first oil change to remove initial wear-in metals, etc.? With my Corvette, GM recommended 500 miles, but that had to do with the dry sump system and some sealants. I'm thinking 1,000 to 1,500 miles should be good for this EcoDiesel engine. Thoughts?

(2) Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 or Ravenol VST 5W-40. PP is GTL, Ravenol is PAO. Both have solid numbers (including HTHS and Noack) based on the VOAs and UOAs I've seen. Does anyone here have any firsthand experience with either or both in an EcoDiesel or otherwise? Pros / cons to both? I'm all ears if one has significant advantages over the other.

Thanks in advance! I love this site for the wealth of information so readily available!

With regard to question 2, just use an oil that meets the specification. One being better than the other is just a pedantic "water cooler" discussion.

The requirements to appropriately protect the engine is baked into the specification.

(1) Whatever you’re comfortable with. I usually go early on the first but that’s me.

(2) Whichever CK-4 rated diesel oil you can find on a shelf these days. Some farm fleet type stores carry a reasonable priced house brand 5w40 diesel oil. Valvoline PBE, Rotella T6, etc. will a do the job well.

Good morning all. I just bought a 2022 Ram 1500 with the 3.0L EcoDiesel, and I have a few questions. I've searched BITOG and am up to speed on the proper spec - MS-12991 - so no questions there. As a newbie to EcoDiesel and diesels in general, I have two questions:

(1) When is the "ideal" time for first oil change to remove initial wear-in metals, etc.? With my Corvette, GM recommended 500 miles, but that had to do with the dry sump system and some sealants. I'm thinking 1,000 to 1,500 miles should be good for this EcoDiesel engine. Thoughts?

(2) Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 or Ravenol VST 5W-40. PP is GTL, Ravenol is PAO. Both have solid numbers (including HTHS and Noack) based on the VOAs and UOAs I've seen. Does anyone here have any firsthand experience with either or both in an EcoDiesel or otherwise? Pros / cons to both? I'm all ears if one has significant advantages over the other.

Thanks in advance! I love this site for the wealth of information so readily available!
Congrats on the new truck! The Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 is readily available on Amazon and, I assume, from other retailers. It meets specifications and should work wonderfully for you.

As someone else pointed out, I would also change your oil early. I would accomplish the 1st oil change around 1500 to 2000 miles myself. Then again at 5000 miles, and every 4000 to 5000 thereafter. Enjoy the truck.

Gen 3 Ecodiesel does not spec a "diesel" oil. It specs a Euro 5W-40.
Meaning that the oil has to be diesel rated. As far as I am aware, all euro spec oils are dual rated, meaning they are rated for both gas and diesel engines. A non-euro spec gas oil will not have the detergents and dispersants needed to keep diesel soot and other combustion byproducts of diesel in suspension. So either a euro spec oil or a CK-4 and possibly an FA-4 spec diesel oil should work great as well.

Did the first oil change Friday at 1,800 miles. Went with Pennzoil. Sending sample of factory fill to Blackstone, will report back here anything interesting.

The correct motor oil for your truck meets the following spec: 5w-40, MS-12991 API-SP. Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil meets that spec. Good choice.

I'd be sure to use whatever is spec'd for warranty cause you can bet it will need warranty work in the near future... those things seem to be about as reliable as a Fiat ;)

Back