New Supertech oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Thanks for blowing up the thread with the photo.

Could a mod fix it?

I am not sure we can as Mods reduce the size. It is hosted on another site. I personally only know how to reduce the size of the URL posts.

grin.gif

quote:

Heat,

That's a real sharp picture; what kind or digital camera did you use? Model number?

Fuji Finepix 550 6 MP. The camera takes great pictures, but the zoom lens is very,very,very,very sensitive to being bumped while it is out. It's been back to Fuju twice in the warranty period, and I fixed it once myself. Google "Fuju zoom error" for info.

Triple_Se7en, the thing is the new ones no longer say synthetic blend, and I don't think they make a syn blend at all anymore. My guess is that it is grpII/II+ mix. Has anyone ever called Warren performance products for info before? I might do so tomorrow.

I hit Wallyworld today to see what this stuff was, but the shelves were pretty much empty of it (the tags were there, but the inventory was pretty skimpy). They did have some 5 quart jugs of it (5w30), not to mention the "full synethic" SuperTech too (I've only seen it in 10w30 there before).

OT: Mobil must be laying it on pretty thick lately; Walmart went from mostly 5w30/10w30 to virtually every viscosity and weight combo you can think of. Even saw the Truck & SUV 5qt jugs for the first time (same price as regular Mobil 1 too: $20.87). Wonder who's getting squeezed out...

When I put ST Long Mileage into my Toyota Tacoma, '99 with 182k on it, I figured it would start knocking. I had used various oils then got sold on Havoline. It stopped the knocking immediately. Is that good in itself? Or, just good for the emotions?
I changed the Havoline a week ago and fully expected the knock to come back with the new ST. Nothing! Nothing at all. Quiet as a church mouse. Not sure of the composition of the ST, but this guy is SOLD on ST. Does it have moly in it??

Another oil to look at, folks. Don't look down yer nose at it before you try it in legit fashion.

It might just satisfy you, and even though I don't do analyses of spent oil, quiet is something I tend to associate with the word "good". Anybody know a "good" oil that promotes knocking?

Mike

"Another oil to look at, folks. Don't look down yer nose at it before you try it in legit fashion. "
-------------------------------------------------

Another satisfied customer. I've been using ST oils for years and like them. Up here, the dino is XOM, but the HM (or former syn blend?) and full syn are still WPP(which I still like). Probably one of the best deals going.

I'm interested in the Supertech Synthetic.
Several years ago when I started using Mobil 1 in the wife's '97 Bonneville I believe there was only one version of it and I could usually find it for a little less than $4 a quart. Recently the bottles and labels have changed and I don't know which are equivalent to what I've been using. I just changed oil recently and found I had two different labels, half seemingly original flavor and half extended interval. I suppose it mixes, but what do you imagine the real difference to be? I change at 6 to 7 thousand miles in 6 to 7 months. It does turn brown but is still translucent and I have usually only added an extra quart during that time. The car runs great and has 144,000 miles on it. I use whatever filter is on sale, usually Purolator, Napa, AC or Supertech and seldom Fram. I just bought another '97 Bonneville for myself with 114,000 miles and was considering using the Wallmart synthetic in it. It had 5W-30 Castrol in it according to the window decal. It blew the intake manifold water seal the day I bought it so we had to replace the plastic plenum and the garage flushed the pan with Napa 10w-30 for twenty minutes and then changed the filter and more Napa 10w-30 again and it has stayed clean and full for a thousand miles over two months. Any advice? Also what is the opinion on Pure One filters? Curley

Many regard pure one to be the best, ST synthetic would be a good oil in that car. Cheap but effective.

The new mobil EP is now guaranteed for 15,000 mile protection, so if you used that you could do yearly changes in most cases. The regular Mobil 1 should still be sold right next to it, however some stores may not carry it anymore because of space requirements. So many new oils out.

1970's can of Mobil I good for 25,000 miles.
Mobil I EP worse? Only good for 15,000 miles?

-

[ March 02, 2006, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: csaxon ]

"csaxon -

1970's can of Mobil I good for 25,000 miles. Mobil I EP worse? Only good for 15,000 miles?"

Hotter engines for emissions perhaps?

I picked up 6 quarts of the ST synthetic blend. What I can't tell is if it is a new product, one they revived or the last run of an old product. Any hints??

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
Nothing new with that oil. Outside of having a new, different label, it's been around for the last two years that I'm aware of. Perhaps contains a little group III to meet SM/high mileage specs. I think Conoco had to do the same (add group III) to meet their regular dino SM specs also. Those now say synthetic-blend.

they appear to be different to me. heres the msds on both. http://msds.walmartstores.com/cache/36159_1.pdf
http://msds.walmartstores.com/cache/36354_1.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back