New Super Tech 15w-40 CK-4/SN Full Synthetic

Is CK-4 ok to use in older diesels?
00 7.3 Powerstroke
02 Cummins 5.9
CK-4 is supposed to be backwards compatible with older specs, but Ford officially had concerns with the reduced anti wear additives in that spec and released a list of oils they said where good enough for their diesel engines. Based in the oil analysis above, this oil has the amount of phosphorous that Ford wants, so I would use it. Since it's new, it probably isn't on Ford's list, if they are even updating it anymore.

By saying the SN rating doesn’t seem legit, are you saying it should be a higher rating or something?
No, I was pointing out that the phosphorous and zinc levels are higher than allowed by the SN spec. Phosphorous is limited in newer specs to avoid damage to catalytic converters.

This oil seems like a candidate to run in my FIL’s 60hp Mercury outboard. Iirc I was using the Chevron 400 sde 15w40 in it for years. The oil gets changed every fall with hardly any hours on it, but it’s only 3 quarts and cheap insurance. MERCURY specs their 25w40 Dino but it’s pricey.

No, I was pointing out that the phosphorous and zinc levels are higher than allowed by the SN spec. Phosphorous is limited in newer specs to avoid damage to catalytic converters.
I may not know what I'm talking about but I think the SN spec for zinc and phosphorous don't apply to a 40 weight oil.
Lower SN ratings only apply to 30 weights and less. BTW , 2 weeks ago I saw this oil at my local Walmart and another in Arizona. Now it's been removed from their webpage and not in my local store.
That's correct, the 40's get an exception to the additive limits for SN. However, If it was SP rated I think there may be some requirements ,even on 40 grade, to lower to the 800 PPM Phosphorus level.

delete, i'm a dumb end user who doesnt know how to search on the internet

I got the last 3 gallons, and the other Walmarts don't have them anymore. Did Walmart stop sales due to the phosphorus and zinc being out of SN spec?
If you were looking at my previous post, I was incorrect. The SN spec only limited the phosphorus and zinc limits at 30 weight and below so this 15w-40 is within the SN spec even though it's got the higher levels.

Back