New sparkplug for lawn mower?

Placebo effect, E3 spark plugs are complete marketing bs. Stick with Champion or NGK
Actually project farm ran a test with these and found a slightly longer run time on the same tank of fuel. I ran a test a couple of summers back with a pre measured amount of fuel and found that I could mow longer on the same tank. Not leaps and bounds but I was able to repeat the test with the same results.

Actually project farm ran a test with these and found a slightly longer run time on the same tank of fuel. I ran a test a couple of summers back with a pre measured amount of fuel and found that I could mow longer on the same tank. Not leaps and bounds but I was able to repeat the test with the same results.
I love PF don't get me wrong but for some of his tests, fuel consumption tests specifically, his sample sizes are far, far too small. You need to test this hundreds of times across multiple different platforms/engines to get meaningful statistics. If they really saved fuel don't you think auto manufacturers would have jumped on the bandwagon years ago? Instead of pouring millions into developing new engine technologies they could just buy different spark plugs and magically get better mpg? And those are fine tuned engines with advanced, precise fuel injection regulated by a computer measuring dozens of factors simultaneously for optimal performance and efficiency. And you think a $5 spark plug is going to meaningfully affect fuel efficiency coupled with a 99c carburetor?

NGK followed by Autolite are my preferred small engine sparkplugs. I've had a LOT of Champion sparkplugs either quit working or start hard even though the plug was clean and in good condition. I even got one out of the package missing threads once. I had used a nearly new RJ19LM to get an old chainsaw running once, (1959 McCulloch) I could never figure out why it had a weak spark, even the inline spark tester the bulb was dim, but when the sparkplug was removed and the plug wire was just jumping a gap to the cylinder it was wicked. It ran but started hard and had poor acceleration. I put a brand new Autolite in it and it started much better and I tried the inline spark tester again, it was as bright as it normally is. That was the final straw for me with champion sparkplugs. For what it's worth, the push mower my dad bought in 1977 went 23 years on the original Autolite A7N sparkplug, followed by another 12 on the SE458 (now XST458) and the standard 458 that's in it now is on it's 10th year. That engine surpassed 1000 running hours in 2004 estimating with quick math... Like it was said above, change the oil, not the sparkplug. My grandparents 1967 Montgomery wards lawn edger I inherited a few years back still has it's original Autolite sparkplug in it too, runs like a champ. The **** sparkplug outlasted both of them...

It's a lousy spark plug in a small engine. He probably already replaced it and moved on.

Last edited:
Back