New sparkplug for lawn mower?

was looking for a new spark plug for my flymo push mower with briggs and stratton motor (flymo quicksilver 46s) and saw the plug is too expensive here:

got the part number which is Champion RJ19LM or NGK BR2-LM.

anyone know if there is an iridium variant for this application?

Just replace with a Champion J19LM (non resistor). NGK's are Ok too but I like Champions for small engines. An iridium plug will not make any difference in performance. Unless they are fouled, plugs last for many years with an ocassional regap.

Last edited:
Lawn mowers run so few hours that plug wear isn't an issue, but you do need a spare on hand because they can suddenly stop working due to an internal break. I've never seen a platinum or iridium made in the short form for flathead engines.

Autolite XST458 is an iridium plug that cross references to J19LM according to the folks at Autolite.

yup Champion is the champion of small engines. You might hear a bunch of noise about champion car/truck engine plugs being no good but I think that is more myth than reality. Been using champion plugs forever in mower engines with no issue.

Lawn mowers run so few hours that plug wear isn't an issue, but you do need a spare on hand because they can suddenly stop working due to an internal break. I've never seen a platinum or iridium made in the short form for flathead engines.
There are iridiums that cross to the copper plugs, but I don't see a reason to use them. Lawn mowers and small engines don't wear out spark plugs like a car would, instead the plugs fail internally from constant heat cycles, vibration, etc, or they get fouled.

There are iridiums that cross to the copper plugs, but I don't see a reason to use them. Lawn mowers and small engines don't wear out spark plugs like a car would, instead the plugs fail internally from constant heat cycles, vibration, etc, or they get fouled.
Yeah, I replace mine once a year, which is about 100-150 hours.

was looking for a new spark plug for my flymo push mower with briggs and stratton motor (flymo quicksilver 46s) and saw the plug is too expensive here:

got the part number which is Champion RJ19LM or NGK BR2-LM.

anyone know if there is an iridium variant for this application?

Honestly in most Lawnmowers almost any plug would work You could buy a cheap one and take your chances. I have a hard time pay $27 #'s for a spark plug!

FWIW I use E3 spark plugs in all my OPE. I have good luck with them and they last several years. I usually change them long before I have an issue. According to the E3 site you need an E3.10. Link to cross reference is -> here

just my $0.02

My Last Snowblower factory sparkplug lasted 21 years, Tecumseh 8hp SK engine ran fine, plug was fine.
Auger housing rusted out, So I should have been handier with a can of Rust-Oleum in the Spring :)

Just as a reference point of interest, manufacturer's issuing a recommended service interval of 30K miles on a road going motorcar would be in operation for ~ 1000hours
I estimate I ran my snowblower for less than 400 hours in 21 years.

In the last 5 yrs of fixing and flipping push mowers, the last 4 years I stopped buying new plugs. Just clean the carbon off, gap correctly, and re-install.

I am still using the original plug that came with my Toro when I bought it new in 2010. The Briggs flat head runs strong and always starts. Change the oil, not the plug.

I am still using the original plug that came with my Toro when I bought it new in 2010. The Briggs flat head runs strong and always starts. Change the oil, not the plug.
Me too. I inspect the spark plug gap every spring & adjust as required. So far, B&S mower has been trouble free since I bought it in 2012.

Can you get an E3 spark plug in the UK? On my Stihl trimmer and my 10-year-old lawn machines I get longer run time on the same tank of fuel

Back