new sound Honda Accord

my sister in law has a 2020 Accord. She just had a fuel pump recall. Dealer fixed for free. car has 9,000 original miles. New sound, like a "tin can" clanking sound that comes and goes. I have ridden in it and hear it. It SEEMS to go with wheel speed. applying the brakes does not seem to make it come or go.

I crawled under and tapped the mufflers, it sort of sounds like that. I wiggled the mufflers, etc, and they were not loose, at least to my mind.

If the dealer had to remove gas tank, etc, to reach the fuel pump, could they have left something loose?

any ideas? car is in great shape, well maintained. Dealer said he fixed the noise, but it is still there.

thanks so much!

Bob

The in tank fuel pump is accessed by removing the rear seat cushion. Being that the car has direct injection, it also has a mechanical driven fuel pump. Yes, the car has two fuel pumps. The one in the tank pumps the fuel to the engine while the mechanical one is the high pressure fuel pump. They can't safely put a 3000 PSI direct injected fuel pump in the gas tank.

THANK YOU Skyactiv! The dealer did tell her to empty the trunk and back seat! OK, what is rattling, and how do we fix it. dealer already "fixed it" once.
thanks for explaining 2 fuel pumps. my RDX has direct inject.bob

I know there is also a fuel tank recall on certain accords to go with the fuel pump recall! You have to remove the exhaust and the heat shields so that could definitely be what's loose if the TANK was changed !

I'm wondering if the tech dropped something in the gas tank when replacing the pump.

If you suspect the noise was a result of the fuel pump replacement take the back seat out and the access plate to the fuel pump (and check the access plate to make sure it was tightened down) and have someone drive around while you listen. Use a piece of hose or an automotive stethoscope to pin point the noise if you hear it from back there.

thanks very much guys! will take back to dealer again

car was SILENT before the fuel pump recall
bob

Back