New SN-G5 Pennzoil selling like hotcakes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnny, did you here if the formula change or is it the same but it meets the current the newest testing requirements. It seems that everything matched up from Dec. 09 and the Newest Batch Released in Feb. 10. Just wondering!!!

I have not heard anything about API SN from anyone. However IT DOES have GF-5 approval (the test have been run and the license has been paid for and issued) and will officially be posted on the CORRECT part of the label when the GF-5 license goes in to effect on October 1.

I have not seen these new GF-5 / SN bottles. Could someone snap a picture of what the bottle says?

Date code would come in handy too...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunfire

Date code would come in handy too...

The jug of 5W30 I bought at WalMart last night reads:

10169732 U002 06APR10 12:33

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
Must be the 40% sludge removal that everybody loves or something? I go in before work in the morning and the shelves at WM are full of the stuff. Then in the evening I stop back in and they are sold out. This happens every day. Nobody is buying the SM-G4 Pennzoil anymore. They better reduce the price on it or something or it's going to be sitting there a long time.

Since the newer jugs are on the shelf, WM better bring down the price of the old 5qt jug to $2 or less. SM-GF4 is now an outdated spec.... The old bottles cleans only up to 15% but the new bottles clean up to 40%. Pennzoil's cleaning campaign is selling a lot of oil.

Last edited:
Quote:
Pennzoil's cleaning campaign is selling a lot of oil.

Is/was the average consumer ever worried about this? I would imagine some Toyota/Lexus or VW/Audi owners would latch on to the notion, but I really can't see the consumer market, at large and en mass, having a clue one way or the other. They're too busy thinking with their dipstick, Jimmie ..or equivalent (Jane) living on the Edge.

I have seen the following oils at my WalMart with the SN stamp.
Pennzoil Platinum
Pennzoil YB
Valvoline SynPower
Vavloline NextGen
Supertech Synthetic
Mobil 1 EP 5W-30

Still no SN in Pennzoil Ultra which I am looking forward to seeing!

This bottle was from Dollar General, not Wally's but has the SN/GF-5 label.

mt1oxc.jpg

14pq28.jpg

2zztfue.jpg

Originally Posted By: bandz7
Pennzoil Platinum
Pennzoil YB
Valvoline SynPower
Vavloline NextGen
Supertech Synthetic
Mobil 1 EP 5W-30

Motorcraft 5W20 blend SN has been on the shelves of my local Walmarts for several weeks...recently marked up to $14.87/5qt jug, barely under $3/qt.

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
Originally Posted By: bandz7
Pennzoil Platinum
Pennzoil YB
Valvoline SynPower
Vavloline NextGen
Supertech Synthetic
Mobil 1 EP 5W-30

Motorcraft 5W20 blend SN has been on the shelves of my local Walmarts for several weeks...recently marked up to $14.87/5qt jug, barely under $3/qt.

Seriously, MC Syn Blend is probably the best value out there.

Until the API SM -> SN upgrade, I was partial to Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w-20. But after the certification change, the price of a 5 quart jug jumped from $11.50 to $14.87 at WalMart. So I looked for the current bargain among API SN/GF-5 5w-20 oils and bought two 5 quart jugs of Mobil Super 5000 5w-20 for $11.50 each. I think that $11.50 may be legacy price. Jugs of Mobil Super in every other weight grade (e.g. 5w-30) are more expensive, yet Shell charges a premium for the 5w-20 grade in its Quaker State green bottle line. This pricing makes sense to me since the 5w-20 formulation presumably requires better base stocks (with better VI) to pass API SN/GF-5 certification.

As long as the price of 5 quart jugs holds at $11.50, I am a fan of Mobil Super 5000 5w-20.

Originally Posted By: ponderosaTX
Until the API SM -> SN upgrade, I was partial to Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w-20. But after the certification change, the price of a 5 quart jug jumped from $11.50 to $14.87 at WalMart. So I looked for the current bargain among API SN/GF-5 5w-20 oils and bought two 5 quart jugs of Mobil Super 5000 5w-20 for $11.50 each. I think that $11.50 may be legacy price. Jugs of Mobil Super in every other weight grade (e.g. 5w-30) are more expensive, yet Shell charges a premium for the 5w-20 grade in its Quaker State green bottle line. This pricing makes sense to me since the 5w-20 formulation presumably requires better base stocks (with better VI) to pass API SN/GF-5 certification.

As long as the price of 5 quart jugs holds at $11.50, I am a fan of Mobil Super 5000 5w-20.

That is definitely a good price. I wish we got that stuff here north of the border. (MC5K)

Quaker State syn has it, saw Havoline in Advance with SN-G5 also. It is around alot, but without uoa every so often, means little other than being up to date. Except for PYB it looks like a three card monte game being played with some. Where is the moly??? Here it is no that is not moly how about boron?? Where is it what???? What is that stuff?????
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: qship1996
I looked at bottles of pennzoil today, all SM rated......no "SN" rated at any store, so I highly doubt that the SN rated oils are out there yet.

I have a bottle (several bottles) of Pennzoil 5w-30 that I purchased last year on Black Friday (Saturday), and they have the SN rating. That's about 5 moths ago, so they had it out back then. Here is a picture of the bottle.

396409741.jpg

396409739.jpg

396409740.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back