New smaller Honda filter - Did you really need the extra capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposedly the new standard filter for all Honda's (except s2000) has the same size filter media as the larger filter.

Being that it's 65mm instead of 80mm, it's now about 50% smaller in volume.

So one asks, why does one need a BIGGER CAN anyway?

I can think of a few reasons. Better heat dissipation because of the larger surface area. *Slightly* better response at pressure surges. A little more overall capacity in the overall oil capacity. *Slightly* less viscous friction.

The only real disadvantage of a bigger can would be environmental (more disposed material and oil per oil change).

I really don't believe a smaller can provides quicker startup pressure. I've had some courses in fluid dynamics, the supposition doesn't make sense to me at all.

quote:

Originally posted by S2000driver:
Supposedly the new standard filter for all Honda's (except s2000) has the same size filter media as the larger filter.

Being that it's 65mm instead of 80mm, it's now about 50% smaller in volume.

....snip
I really don't believe a smaller can provides quicker startup pressure. I've had some courses in fluid dynamics, the supposition doesn't make sense to me at all.

With a working ADBV, it shouldn't make any difference if you had a thimble or a paint bucket. With a prefill, it shouldn't make that much difference even with a new filter. Oil is incompressible. With a full filter, the oil in will equal the oil out. As for capacity, there can't be more than a few ounces difference, negligible in the 5 quarts or whatever total.

80mm or 65mm...

Hmmm, uh I guess size matters after all, right?
grin.gif
tongue.gif

OK that was lame but I have the M1-110 filter right now but I was thinking of exchanging it for the 104.

Is there a good reason switch?
confused.gif
I really hate you brainiacs because you make it harder for me to wallow in my ignorance.
rolleyes.gif

I was speaking of a larger DIAMETER can with the same sized filter media.

Many of the oversized oil filters on the market have both a larger media and a larger can (usually longer, not necessarily wider). There is no question in my mind an oversized filter with larger media has lots of benefits over the smaller filter.

Actually, the A01 version of the new filter is rather impressive.

However, the A02 version of the new filter is made by Fram and has LESS media than the old filter.

On the S2000's you are still supposed to use a full size filter, and it's got a different part number: 15400-PCX-004

You can see the A01 and A02 versions of the new smaller filter here:

http://elabfcsvrt.fdu.edu/bartsch/Prelude/HondaPreludeOilFilters/

As well as a bunch of other filters, many for the Honda.

Should look into the Supertech filter. The small filter for the newer models is still using the spring type by-pass instead of clicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back