new small Diesel Chevrolet Cruze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Originally Posted by E365
Huge discounts right now on new 2018 Ford Focuses. Lots out there for around $12,000 with the 1.0 EcoBoost and (non-DCT!) 6-speed automatic. . It's been absolutely flawless and a great commuter car
Ford Focus (non-DCT-versions) with the 1.0L Ecoboost (6-speed automatic available) are great cruisers. They were being built at the same (Wayne, MI) plant as my '15 C-Max and '16 Focus EV until May 2018, where the new Ranger PU is being built now.
My Focus EV has been flawless too, & it handles about as well as the top VW Golf in this category, which means its a sports car when steering/handling. (The Focus's bad reputation is mostly centered around the AMT (aka, DCT) transmission, to be avoided in favor of a manual tranny or conventional 6-speed automatic.) .... Besides that, the Focus performs well.
You get 50 MPG sometimes, but Fuelly.com reports about 35 MPG fleet average (1.0L Ecoboost Focus specifically) realistically in mixed driving, still not bad at all.

Originally Posted by IveBeenRued
. He commutes from Southern PA to VA four days a week for work and his newer Cruze has gone into limp mode no less than 6 times over the past year and a half. He is looking his offload his Cruze at a loss and he is currently looking at the Honda Accord Hybrid as a replacement.

Could be that...
A) dealer is using inproper bulk oil (non-low saps)
B) he never drives his cruze on a highway...or he always bogs his engine below 2k rpms (regeneration occurs between 2-3k rpms)

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
They're going to be discounting Chevy Bolts. That's well within the range of a Bolt. Plus she gets bragging rights.
laugh.gif

The problem with EVs where some of you live is that the range drops by 20-50% when the temperature drops to near 0 degrees F (more when the temp is lower). This needs to be taken into account if you live anywhere where it gets cold.

OP here.

I smartened up and took the diesel Cruze out of the running. Too many negatives, not enough positives. The car search continues.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
OP here.

I smartened up and took the diesel Cruze out of the running. Too many negatives, not enough positives. The car search continues.

I don't know what the price of diesel fuel is where you are but it's a $1.00/gal more than regular gasoline by me. Plus you have to add the extra price and inconvenience of needing DEF.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
A new Prius prime is the best commuter vehicle available. When you include the federal and any state tax credits they are about $25-27k. 25 mile pure electric range and 50+ MPGs.

The Prius Prime is the most cost effective solution for your wifes' long commute. They are hard to find in FL. I bought mine in NJ. I spend 6 months in the Tampa area and get over 30 miles on the electric battery and about 55-60 mpg on gas. The Prime is comfortable on long drives. I've made the trip from Philly to Tampa a number of times with comfort the same as larger and more expensive cars I've owned. Also, the Prime has a lot of standard safety features my wife will not do without.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back