New scientific study about brain and immune system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bbhero
I hate to say this but..... I feel there is potentially a lot of truth in this. MS drugs now can cost $5,000 to $12,000 a month. But again, I feel there is a fair amount of truth to Merk's statement. I do not mind people making money at all. But again if illnesses are cured it would not just put big Pharm out of business but many hospitals and staff in those hospitals too.

I have friends and family in Big Pharma.

They're not completely disincentivized to find cures; antibiotics cure bacterial illnesses all day, and Big Pharma seems to be humming along just fine. Ditto with hospitals and cancer, broken bones, deep wounds, etc. There's always something else to move on to -- another disease, an emerging threat, etc. And don't forget that the population is still growing, so there's always a steady supply.

What Big Pharma will do is hold on to new drugs rather than release them when they're ready. They do this because they can only sell the drug for so many years before a generic version becomes fair game; If they released everything they had as soon as they found it, all their patents would expire in a few years and they'd have nothing in reserve -- they'd make a big wad of money and then tank until the next big idea.

My Dad used to be in Australia's Health Insurance Commission, and saw some amazing stats regarding what was going on.

Most men who died of old age died WITH prostate cancer, certainly not OF prostate cancer, but the industry uses the former statistic to lobby for funding, screening, and drastic intervention, often to very bad results for the individual who gets carried along.

Properly prescribed medicine has a death rate ten times our (Australia's) road toll, but it doesn't make headlines.

The allopathic medicine system focuses on symptoms, not cures, and largely keeps the patient entertained (read feeling that there's something happening), while the body heals itself in many of the cases...in the ones that don't the side-effects end up causing another failure/symptom that needs another drug.

My cousin was a drug pusher for a pharma company, and her BIL a pusher for the same company. She was human drugs, leggy blonde in a BMW, bringing antipasto platters to hard working doctors in their lunch breaks to educate them (and hand out eye charts and notepads with either outright, or subliminal brand names in them), while he wore gumboots, drove a white ford Falcon wagon, and provided exactly the same drugs to vets, for a fraction of the cost...same production line and feedstocks, just major marketting and retail price difference...and still symptom based allopathic medicine.

Car crash, heart attack, set upon by burley thugs or a pack of dogs, you need what we have to offer in emergency treatment, there's a difference.

I work in healthcare.. RN. My brother in law works for a big pharmaceutical. So, its not with ZERO knowledge base from where I'm coming from. But it just makes sense to just treat conditions than to permenantly get rid of them. I have no problem with big pharm or hospitals. I really don't. It just makes sense to not get rid of many conditions either.
And yes Shannow there will always be need of emergency services
smile.gif

Let me tell YOU ALL the bigger concern I want you all to FOCUS on...the care of your elderly parents. That's the great shortfall in the ENTITE healthcare system. Period. Unless you are very wealthy ... Your parents will very likely receive poor to very poor care. Ivevwitnessed this first hand. I say this for the benefit of my parents and you alls has well.

We're having all kinds of issues with senior care in this province lately, at least how the media plays it. My grandfather was very lucky with his care in a small town here. He hated the place at first, but eventually got to love it. When he was taken out for visits on holidays, he'd get antsy after a week and want to "go home." But, there are far too many cases that aren't like that.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Let me tell YOU ALL the bigger concern I want you all to FOCUS on...the care of your elderly parents. That's the great shortfall in the ENTITE healthcare system. Period. Unless you are very wealthy ... Your parents will very likely receive poor to very poor care. Ivevwitnessed this first hand. I say this for the benefit of my parents and you alls has well.

And yet that is where the overwhelming majority of our 1/6th of GDP spending goes to.

I am not sure if more money is the issue.. But staffing is.. I personal aide for 30 patients.. I RN for 60 patients?? Or LPN for 60 patients?? NOT REMOTELY SAFE. Yet many places that are no good even still charge $5000 a month for a room. And people get terrible care..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back