New scientific study about brain and immune system

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been a new major discovery about the brain and the immune system. There is evidence of the brain and the immune system being connected in ways that were not known until now.

http://www.scienceworldreport.com/articl...mune-system.htm

This is just one of many links starting to appear on the internet.

This discovery is being called so important that textbooks will have to be rewritten.

This is very early, but it is hoped that this new knowledge will help with various diseases and conditions such as autism, for example.

Well...I have known there was some kind of connection. I have Multiple Sclerosis. The relationship between the two can be cantankerous at times. Right now.. I need a break through. I miss my real, regular job that I did and can still do. I am a RN. But due to my unknown condition day to day.. I lost the ability to work on a scheduled basis. 75% of the time I still can do my job but not on someone else's schedule. So I work in a different role. I want to do what I know I can do. Just hard now. Has been for almost two years now. But it will work out in the longer run. Just hard being patient sometimes.

Always best to go back to the primary source: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature14432.html

Abstract:
Quote:
One of the characteristics of the central nervous system is the lack of a classical lymphatic drainage system. Although it is now accepted that the central nervous system undergoes constant immune surveillance that takes place within the meningeal compartment, the mechanisms governing the entrance and exit of immune cells from the central nervous system remain poorly understood. In searching for T-cell gateways into and out of the meninges, we discovered functional lymphatic vessels lining the dural sinuses. These structures express all of the molecular hallmarks of lymphatic endothelial cells, are able to carry both fluid and immune cells from the cerebrospinal fluid, and are connected to the deep cervical lymph nodes. The unique location of these vessels may have impeded their discovery to date, thereby contributing to the long-held concept of the absence of lymphatic vasculature in the central nervous system. The discovery of the central nervous system lymphatic system may call for a reassessment of basic assumptions in neuroimmunology and sheds new light on the aetiology of neuroinflammatory and neurodegenerative diseases associated with immune system dysfunction.

Basically, they figured out how the immune system's cells move in and out of the fluid that surrounds the brain. This isn't the kind of "connection" that most people will think of when they read clickbait headlines -- but yes, very significant indeed.

I was told years ago that most everything we are being taught about most everything is wrong and as I mature I have experienced . it.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I was told years ago that most everything we are being taught about most everything is wrong

Technically true, but overstated. It'd be more accurate to say a few things are wrong and the rest is incomplete.

To paraphrase Isaac Asimov: We once thought the earth was flat, which was wrong. Then we thought the earth was a sphere. Turns out that was wrong, too -- it's a slightly distorted sphere. But obviously the sphere idea is a whole heck of a lot LESS wrong than the flat earth idea.

I don't trust "science" but so much. I do trust it to a degree but depends upon circumstance. I was put on several meds one time that caused rather severe side effects.. A very educated person in sciences did that.. Stupid. A resident doctor argued with me and got an attitude with me when I told him I couldn't see the numbers and letters in a book at point blank range. Wasn't until that mental midget took out and used his pen light and realized my left pupil had no reaction. He stammered and obviously felt like a fool. There's more stories here. . drugs approved that cause blindness, liver failure etc etc.
I'm not saying all science is bad or wrong. But again, depends greatly upon the people involved. I have been greatly mistreated by some people in my own profession WHO should know better.. But they don't act like it at all. Wonder why patients can suffer so greatly when people are in their care?? Yeah, easy to see why. I am darn sorry but hard to have any faith in science, doctors and people who work in the field.

Physicians are not scientists unless they are dual MD/PhD, and those are few and far between. I don't trust most physicians, either.

well, you have true sciences, that are based on mathematics and have testable hypotheses (physics is the best example).

then you have pseudosciences that are not based on mathematics and don't have easily testable hypotheses (economy is the best example).

medicine is moving toward evidence-based, but very slowly. traditionally it was dogma-based.

BTW, of course there is a connection between brain and immune system. stress and some mental diseases cause increase in cortisol secretion. cortison is immunosupressive. this is common knowledge.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Always best to go back to the primary source: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature14432.html

Abstract:
Quote:
One of the characteristics of the central nervous system is the lack of a classical lymphatic drainage system. Although it is now accepted that the central nervous system undergoes constant immune surveillance that takes place within the meningeal compartment, the mechanisms governing the entrance and exit of immune cells from the central nervous system remain poorly understood. In searching for T-cell gateways into and out of the meninges, we discovered functional lymphatic vessels lining the dural sinuses. These structures express all of the molecular hallmarks of lymphatic endothelial cells, are able to carry both fluid and immune cells from the cerebrospinal fluid, and are connected to the deep cervical lymph nodes. The unique location of these vessels may have impeded their discovery to date, thereby contributing to the long-held concept of the absence of lymphatic vasculature in the central nervous system. The discovery of the central nervous system lymphatic system may call for a reassessment of basic assumptions in neuroimmunology and sheds new light on the aetiology of neuroinflammatory and neurodegenerative diseases associated with immune system dysfunction.

Basically, they figured out how the immune system's cells move in and out of the fluid that surrounds the brain. This isn't the kind of "connection" that most people will think of when they read clickbait headlines -- but yes, very significant indeed.

Yes it is significant. And not everything is 'clickbait.' Do you have any idea whatsoever how complex the human brain is and how little is known about human intelligence and human personality?

There has been a vast amount of research into human intelligence, the human brain, etc., and there is obviously still a lot left to learn.

No human being knows everything. The fact that such major discoveries are still being made today is solid, 100% proof that human beings do not fully understand everything in the Universe and there is still much left to discover and learn.

Some friends of mine have a grandson who has autism. So these new discoveries affect me personally. Because these discoveries could possibly led to new cures or at least improvement for various diseases and conditions. Do you know anybody who has autism?

'Clickbait' may be a catchy term, but even you admit these are significant discoveries. A lot of human beings may be helped because of this new knowledge.

And mere mathematics is nothing compared to what a person has to learn to be an MD. A human being is quite a bit more complex than a mathematical equation or a computer.

Originally Posted By: Mystic

And mere mathematics is nothing

i would not say that. all the human technological advances are based on advanced mathematics. the message you posted here is coded as a complex set of binary numbers.

I kind of like how this thread has gone off the original topic.

I agree that modern medicine has lost it's way. The profit motive and big pharma have played it's part in this.

If it's increasingly accepted that your gut has a great deal to do with the outcome and/or efficiencies of your brain processes, then this makes a lot of sense. I'm sure that this interconnectness might even be presented in a traditional medical system like Ayuvedism or Traditional Chinese Medicine. Factory medicine will typically generate something that someone can patent and write a prescription for while these traditional systems are usually more wholistic in nature. Western medicine is great but that's not to say that this concept wasn't accepted long ago and acted on in a less technological manner.

I am no longer surprised at this website that great scientific progress that may help cure disease and save many lives is downplayed and ridiculed. Sure traditional Chinese medicine has been effective, but so has Western medicine. And traditional Chinese medicine has not cured illnesses like autism.

In the next several years medical research helped by these new discoveries will bring huge advances in possible cures of various diseases and millions of human beings will be helped.

I am quite confident that I will be proved correct. It will take time, but now that the connections between the human brain and the immune system are better understand, there will be great medical advances.

So we will find out in time who is right and who is wrong. In any case, it is not some kind of contest between various people here who seem to like to attack me no matter what I post. I merely reported here what is being increasingly reported by many websites. And as the news spreads even more reporting will be done online.

Some people here seem to see the Universe in black and white. I see the Universe in black and white, all shades of gray, and all trillions of colors. And I am very glad that I can see the Universe that way.

The human brain and human personality cannot be compared to a graphics card in a computer, or a CPU.

Website after website is reporting that these discoveries will cause the rewriting of textbooks. That is how important these discoveries are. It is not surprising to me that many here cannot see how important these discoveries are. I am confident that the many people reporting these important scientific discoveries are not wrong about the importance of these discoveries.

Time will tell. And then maybe we can return to these posts and evaluate what people have said in their posts. I think I will enjoy that review.

Originally Posted By: Benito

I agree that modern medicine has lost it's way. The profit motive and big pharma have played it's part in this.

The only thing I did was report here to bobistheoilguy.com that there has been a major new scientific study about how the human brain is connected to the immune system. I did not attack anybody.

Instead of that major scientific discovery being discussed, the fact that many websites are reporting this important news is described as 'clickbait.' Were they supposed to not report this? Guess what. There are going to be news channels and internet websites all over the world reporting on this scientific discovery.

It would seem that modern medicine has not lost it's way. Modern medical science helped to bring about this discovery. Of course the pharmaceutical (spelled it for you) industry will become involved developing new medicines.

So you like how the thread has gone off the original topic? How about discussing the scientific discovery rather than worrying about whether a thread has gone off course or not.

In any case, I know this discovery is important. It should be obvious to anybody that it is important. If you take this thread off course I don't really care. Years down the road everybody here will probably start to find out how important this discovery is. Because with this new knowledge about the human brain and the immune system, it will probably be possible to develop cures for various diseases and illnesses or at least improve the condition of people with those illnesses. Knowledge is power.

Go ahead and take the thread off course. Who really cares. You might want to check and see how many news agencies are covering this scientific discovery in the days ahead. Maybe then you will understand the importance.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
If it's increasingly accepted that your gut has a great deal to do with the outcome and/or efficiencies of your brain processes, then this makes a lot of sense. I'm sure that this interconnectness might even be presented in a traditional medical system like Ayuvedism or Traditional Chinese Medicine. Factory medicine will typically generate something that someone can patent and write a prescription for while these traditional systems are usually more wholistic in nature. Western medicine is great but that's not to say that this concept wasn't accepted long ago and acted on in a less technological manner.

Bingo!

Take yoga as an example. It's pretty amazing that people a long long time ago figured out so many poses that improved health, strength, flexibility as well as mental clarity.

It's a different kind of smarts.

I am no longer surprised at this website that great scientific progress that may help cure disease and save many lives is downplayed and ridiculed. Sure traditional Chinese medicine has been effective, but so has Western medicine. And traditional Chinese medicine has not cured illnesses like autism.

In the next several years medical research helped by these new discoveries will bring huge advances in possible cures of various diseases and millions of human beings will be helped.

I am quite confident that I will be proved correct. It will take time, but now that the connections between the human brain and the immune system are better understand, there will be great medical advances.

So we will find out in time who is right and who is wrong. In any case, it is not some kind of contest between various people here who seem to like to attack me no matter what I post. I merely reported here what is being increasingly reported by many websites. And as the news spreads even more reporting will be done online.

Some people here seem to see the Universe in black and white. I see the Universe in black and white, all shades of gray, and all trillions of colors. And I am very glad that I can see the Universe that way.

The human brain and human personality cannot be compared to a graphics card in a computer, or a CPU.

Website after website is reporting that these discoveries will cause the rewriting of textbooks. That is how important these discoveries are. It is not surprising to me that many here cannot see how important these discoveries are. I am confident that the many people reporting these important scientific discoveries are not wrong about the importance of these discoveries.

Time will tell. And then maybe we can return to these posts and evaluate what people have said in their posts. I think I will enjoy that review.

I don't doubt that you're right but at the same time I take some of this with a grain of salt as to the ultimate outcome and benefits that are generated from it. Medical knowledge will be advancing exponentially but that doesn't necessarily equate to a cure for cancer in x years. I don't view that as denigrating you or saying the findings of these studies couldn't be revolutionary. My post was about the concept of wholistic medicine in relation these findings. There are several "findings" by medical science that have origins in what we'd term primitive systems and in recent years there's been more of an acknowledgement of that...it doesn't necessarily have to appear in JAMA to be valid but it'll be validated by JAMA.

Some doctors will tell you that diabetes is a chronic medical condition that you have to manage and some will tell you that you can correct it with dietary and lifestyle changes. To me, it's obvious that both can be correct in a particular circumstance. We're not all the same and we don't all respond the same to many things. My brother was born with a brain tumor and died at 28 in 1984. There's a lot more that they could've done for him now versus then...but it isn't clear that the ultimate outcome including his quality of life would've been much different given those 30 years. I tend to think of medical advancements and discoveries in those terms but that doesn't mean that something revolutionary isn't around the corner.

"The German people are so supportive of natural medicine that the German government mandated that all medical school curricula include information about natural medicines. Approximately 10 percent of German doctors specialize in homeopathy, with approximately 10 percent more prescribing homeopathic remedies on occasion. In 1993, there were 1,993 medical doctors who had formally qualified in homeopathy, while in 2006, this number jumped over 100 percent to 6,073 (20). In Germany there are 9,000 natural health practitioners called heilpraktikers in 1993 and over 20,000 in 2007. Approximately 20-30 of heilpraktikers specialize in homeopathy."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dana-ullman/homeopathic-medicine-euro_b_402490.html

"The German people are so supportive of natural medicine that the German government mandated that all medical school curricula include information about natural medicines. Approximately 10 percent of German doctors specialize in homeopathy, with approximately 10 percent more prescribing homeopathic remedies on occasion. In 1993, there were 1,993 medical doctors who had formally qualified in homeopathy, while in 2006, this number jumped over 100 percent to 6,073 (20). In Germany there are 9,000 natural health practitioners called heilpraktikers in 1993 and over 20,000 in 2007. Approximately 20-30 of heilpraktikers specialize in homeopathy."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dana-ullman/homeopathic-medicine-euro_b_402490.html

I have no idea what this has to do with the discovery that the brain has connections (that were unknown in the past) with the immune system. Nobody until now knew about these connections, including medical researchers in the West or Traditional Chinese medicine practicers, or people practicing natural medicine in Germany.

I am not saying that I have anything against what is described as 'natural medicine.' Although a person has to be careful also. Steve Jobs allegedly put off various medical procedures to follow natural medicine. He is dead. Now he may well have been dead anyway even if he had had the medical procedures. We will never know. But he did not achieve some medical miracle with natural medicine either.

It did bother me that the mere reporting of this medical research discovery by various websites is described as 'click baiting.' That may be cool sounding but obviously many, many websites and news organizations throughout the world will be reporting on this. So everybody better get ready for the 'click baiting.' Not to mention TV news reporting. Maybe the reporting by TV news channels could be described as 'TV channel baiting.'

It is already being discussed that this discovery may ultimately help in either the cure for various diseases, or at least the potential improvement in the condition of patients. Various illnesses, diseases, and other conditions like autism could be perhaps cured or at least the effects of the illness deceased. I know a young boy has who has autism. I am not real close to him but I know and travel with his grandparents. So all of this could even be of personal interest to me and affect me. And autism has been increasing for some unknown reason or reasons. Perhaps because of something like increased exposure to aluminum. Or some sort of defect in the brain/immune system connection.

It is amazing that this important medical discovery has just barely come about, considering all of the research that has taken place. That is solid evidence that no human being knows everything.

The only thing I did was report here to bobistheoilguy.com that there has been a major new scientific study about how the human brain is connected to the immune system. I did not attack anybody.

Instead of that major scientific discovery being discussed, the fact that many websites are reporting this important news is described as 'clickbait.' Were they supposed to not report this? Guess what. There are going to be news channels and internet websites all over the world reporting on this scientific discovery.

It would seem that modern medicine has not lost it's way. Modern medical science helped to bring about this discovery. Of course the pharmaceutical (spelled it for you) industry will become involved developing new medicines.

So you like how the thread has gone off the original topic? How about discussing the scientific discovery rather than worrying about whether a thread has gone off course or not.

In any case, I know this discovery is important. It should be obvious to anybody that it is important. If you take this thread off course I don't really care. Years down the road everybody here will probably start to find out how important this discovery is. Because with this new knowledge about the human brain and the immune system, it will probably be possible to develop cures for various diseases and illnesses or at least improve the condition of people with those illnesses. Knowledge is power.

Go ahead and take the thread off course. Who really cares. You might want to check and see how many news agencies are covering this scientific discovery in the days ahead. Maybe then you will understand the importance.

jeez, cool down, but stressing over everything, you are damaging your immunity. i mean it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back