New Red Line Coolant (Pre-Mixed & Concentrate)

Has anyone seen their new product release? Interested to give a try but given so many different requirements by various manufacturers I'm curious how this can service/work for all cars?

I've been using their water wetter in my car for the last several years, interested to finally see a high-performance coolant.

I'm too partial to Blue Pentafrost and refill every 50k. Bought it on clearance at like a couple bits per gallon at AZ. I like the blue colour,looks cool.

i've been using zerex blue but i am interested in the prospect of a high performance coolant on my track car.

i don't think so - i think it is still ethylene glycol based.

for tracks where it's not banned however, i think this stuff could be the ticket.

What makes this functionally different or better than any other ethylene glycol based coolant?
they say it runs up to 20 degrees cooler. that alone makes it worth it for my track car

they say it runs up to 20 degrees cooler. that alone makes it worth it for my track car
Well see here's the thing about that claim. Of course it is "up to", so it could be anywhere from 0% up to 20% depending on the actual conditions for the claim. And 20% compared to what? This coolant is sold as either a 50% pre-mix or as a concentrate which I am assuming is being mixed at a 50% rate. Since the overwhelming driver for heat transfer and capacity for coolant is the water/glycol concentration, it could very well be that at 50% concentration it is a 20% improvement over a 70% concentration.

It's really not physically possible to have that large of a heat transfer or capacity improvement when compared to another ethylene glycol/water mixture at the same concentration, no additive is going to do that. So the comparison they are making is either very slanted towards the low end of 20% or based on a different concentration of coolant.

The real way you increase heat transfer and capacity is to decrease the concentration of coolant, perhaps all the way down to plain water. This is where a "water wetter" comes into use and is common on track cars. But a water wetter added to a glycol/water mixture is typically useless however, and does nothing substantial for capacity or transfer. Only reducing the amount of glycol does that.

1602706224000.png

i'll flush to this, run it at my usual track events, and see how the temps compare.

i use harry's lap timer, which takes the obd2 feed which does measure coolant temps real time and records lap by lap as well. obviously conditions will impact temps too, so it's regardless going to be taken with grain of salt.

'Reduces coolant temperatures by up to 20 degrees' - compared to what?
'Superior heat transfer properties compared to glycol-based antifreeze' - except that according to the SDS, it IS a glycol-based antifreeze. (And also has 2-EHA in it for the Dexcool haters)

So....it's superior to itself? The metaphysics of this is even more mind boggling than the real physics. :ROFLMAO:

And it's only $39/gallon for the premix!

I did not know you could put Redline Water Wetter in a 50/50 EG/water mix. I thought it said on the bottle to not do that.

I did not know you could put Redline Water Wetter in a 50/50 EG/water mix. I thought it said on the bottle to not do that.
i've never read that - i've been using a bottle in my evo with zerex asian for a while now with no issues.. less crap coming out than i've seen in some time

i've never read that - i've been using a bottle in my evo with zerex asian for a while now with no issues.. less crap coming out than i've seen in some time

So, I looked up the product https://www.redlineoil.com/waterwetter and it does actually seem to say it can be used with antifreeze.

I am tempted to pop in to a store and look at a bottle on the shelf, I thought I remembered it saying that it would not be effective in a situation with either any antifreeze or more than 10-20% antifreeze.

Meaning, I thought those running ohh say a 50/50 mix should not even bother with this stuff.

Back