New quirky car

My girlfriend bought this car, and i thought it might be interesting to some of you since this isn't a car model you see every day on bitog. This is a 2005 Peugeot 407 2.0 16v 5 speed manual, It has the highest trim level (Executive pack) . This car is so vastly different from what i am used to... Quirky in a lot of ways to me. Sorry for the poor pic quality.

IMG_20230506_091159.jpg
IMG_20230506_091142.jpg
IMG_20230506_091349.jpg
IMG_20230506_091445.jpg
IMG_20230507_192922_1.jpg
IMG_20230507_191453.jpg

Peugeot has always been quirky. Learned to drive on my father’s 504 diesel with a four speed manual. It was a good car. Nice ride. Good handling. Lots of room. Excellent economy. Slow as molasses. Lots of weird ergonomics and switches.

only known 1 person had Peugot and that over here in FLA. a 504 Diesel.I think it was a late 70's model.. Getting parts for it was impossible.

Yes, my one experience was that those cars were wierd. I even remember my owner friend saying the turn signal switch was on the opposite side of the wheel for what seems to be worldwide acceptable position..

all I can think was some French Engineer thought " hey, lets put this where no one will ever think to look".

only known 1 person had Peugot and that over here in FLA. a 504 Diesel. Yes, my one experience was that those cars were wierd. I even remember him saying the turn signal switch was on the opposite side of the wheel for what seems to be worldwide acceptable position..

all I can think was some French Engineer thought " hey, lets put this where no one will ever think to look".
Yep. It’s on the right.

The stalk on the left was for the lights.

But the left hand stalk made sense, once you understood it. It moved in a box pattern. Pull back for parking lights. Then down for headlights. Then forward for high beams. With lights off, bump the stalk down to flash high beams for traffic signaling, not that you would be passing much with 62 HP, but it was actually quite convenient, if unconventional.

Yep. It’s on the right.

The stalk on the left was for the lights.

But the left hand stalk made sense, once you understood it. It moved in a box pattern. Pull back for parking lights. Then down for headlights. Then forward for high beams. With lights off, bump the stalk down to flash high beams for traffic signaling, not that you would be passing much with 62 HP, but it was actually quite convenient, if unconventional.

you know it might be quite functional , if you understand it but it is upsetting for most people who don't have time to read the book on how to operate a car. Screw everybody else in the world and their idea where the switches should be. we have a better idea. :)

I'm one of those people who would come up with a worldwide standard for stuff like this, switch placement...

Knew a total of 2 Peugeot owners. One gas, one petrol.

The turn signal stalk goes in the direction of the steering wheel as you'd turn it.

I bet the 407 pictured is "as quiet as a Peugeot".

My Dad had two 505s following the untimely demise of the 504.

The 504 saved the lives of its occupants. Crumple zones crumpled. The engine and transmission were driven under the car. The seatbelts worked. The doors still opened - showing that the passenger compartment remained intact.

Anyway, the 505s, one a gasoline engine and one a turbocharged gasoline engine, were very nice cars. They drove well. Rode well.

They were quite distinctive in styling but also, honestly, attractive cars.

Peugeot built solid cars. Solid bodies. Great suspension. The 505 is still a good looking car.

I had a 1968 Peugeot and it also had the turn signal on the wrong side of the column. Also the door lock buttons were up when it was locked. ai attempted to adjust the valves and after I did it wouldn't start. Turns out tha cylinder one is closest to the firewall and cylinder four was at the front of the car. After I found that out and re-adjusted them it ran Puuurfect. The transmission was automatic and it was designed to start out in second gear unless you stepped down on it. It rode fantastic though.

Just as the 505 was getting mainstream and the modern 405 was introduced, they pulled the plug in the U.S. after '92. I'd take that one in a heartbeat. Had 16 Peugeots from a 67 404 to a '92 wagon. Saw this 406 at a show here 10 years ago.

View attachment 155259
Just like the 407, thses are extremely common here.
The engine is tilted backwards. Are those two separate valve covers? :unsure:
Yes, a valve cover for each camshaft.
The seats look like they're comfortable enough for a Basset hound...
Not sure what that means but you made me laugh!

Back