Longer trip in a brand new car

If you trip is anything like mine was last Tuesday there will be enough road construction going on to vary your speed constantly. It made for a miserable trip.

I would vary the speed a little and enjoy the trip. I believe in easy break ins and have had great luck. My little Honda Monkey bike shifted a lot easier and smoother after I changed the oil at 400 miles. I would change the engine oil and filter after a couple thousand easy miles.

Vary speed, get on it a little bit after the engine is warmed up, and enjoy the trip.

I would vary my speed as you mentioned.

I wouldnt worry if it was mix roads highways/secondary roads, but you could use one or two gears lower is it is a straight highway run for some of the time if you are really concerned

We did Interstate speeds and a trip shortly after buying the 2015 Chrysler in my signature and we’re at 140,000+ miles later and it hasn’t blown up yet, it may tomorrow, but not yet. 😉🍻
Drive it, you’re not going to hurt it. You’re speeds will be varied wether you think they are or not. If something happens to it, it isn’t because you drove it on a trip.

One three occasions I have bought a brand new car and had to make a somewhat long drive home. It was easy to vary the speed between 60 and 75 on the freeway and also shift from 6th gear down to 5th on the manual transmission cars to vary the engine speed. On one trip I was also able to do some nice long downhill stretches and do some engine braking which is supposed to help seat the piston rings. In my newest car I had a climb from near sea level back up to 6000 feet to get home and the next day I reversed the trip to allow for some engine braking and also to gently break in the brakes on some downhill stretches.

One caution: A lot of vehicles are delivered with the tires grossly over inflated even though they are supposed to adjust them as part of the pre-delivery checklist. When I bought my Nissan 370Z I pulled over a couple of blocks from the dealership and checked them. All four tires were at 45 PSI and I was just about to make a 100 mile freeway drive on a 95 degree day. The tires should have been 35 PSI cold. Check yours before starting the trip.

No problem what so ever. Drive it normally and enjoy your new car. These are not the old days where tolerances varied and pushrods/rocker arms ruled the day. The only components that "break in" are the piston rings. And it's quite likely they do so very rapidly.

I like the idea someone had to pull over occasionally in maybe a rest area, get out stretch your legs, and then get back on that highway and vary the speeds occasionally. I like that. Pretty good idea to mix it up like that.

But 250 miles? That’s nit much, I did more than that today. I’ll put another 250 in tomorrow and probably a good 700 by the end of the week. Doing a bunch of day trips this week. Summer is meant to be driven.

Engines are (briefly) wrung out before installation so I'm sure it will be fine. If you're still worried after all the comments above, I suggest you drop down a gear occasionally just to vary the RPM, then go back up to cruising gear after a minute or so. Sharing the road with someone driving faster / slower / faster can be problematic. Don't be that guy unless there's nobody else on the road.

We regularly had brand new trucks hit the highway from day 1 and no problems were related to that issue, meaning no bearing or cam failures. Drive in peace!

I worked for a company that leased vehicles for us to drive. When I got a new one it never got a gentle breakin and all the motors that I have rebuilt never got a gentile breakin. None ever used oil or had problems. My Ford windstar transmissions however, first one gave it up at 9K and the next Windstar at 27K. Motors were OK though. We switched to Dodge with 3.3 vans and had no major problems with any of them. I believe that if you don't get the piston rings really hot you will have an oil burner and a poor performer.

My current car purchased new had close to 250 miles on the clock, probably a swap from a different dealer or something like that. I never thought twice about it and just drove it normally.

Back