New Prius Can Be Ordered With a Catalytic Converter Shield

I’ll pass, in the many decades I’ve been driving in the many places I’ve lived. I’ve never known anyone to have a converter stolen and I’m certainly not going to spend $200 or more for an antitheft device.

Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to spend $200 to insure an engine part, not only that, but in the unlikely event at some point in your lifetime, you do have one stolen your insurance company, if your car is still insured for theft, will cover part of it.

If not think of all the $200 you’ve saved, by not wasting your money on an antitheft device
I believe I’ve read of people who have had their cat stolen multiple times?

Maybe getting replaced isn’t too bad now, but what with the Great Parts Shortages going on…

Also… these thieves are not the sort to use loving car to remove the cat, carefully torching the bolts out and not cutting anything. It’s more like, sawzall time, who cares what kind of damage occurs to the rest of the exaust.
Why couldn’t we just require all cats to be laser-engraved with the vehicle’s VIN and a QR code, and make recycling centers scan them against the BMV database to cross-check the license of the person selling it? Call the cops if they don’t match…. Simple.

Or else, simply stop allowing cat recycling.
I believe we’ve (this board that is) have discussed that, and figured, it didn’t matter. While it should be cheap enough for the manufacturer to do, there is the headache of making sure the right cat gets onto the right car while on the line. Also there’s this thing with rust obscuring numbers… or outright grinding off. And yet another database for the gov to (mis)manage.

I did see a report recently about a large sting operation getting a large number of persons responsible. Maybe the problem will slowly solve itself.

Of course, once we all drive only EV’s this problem goes away, right? :cool:

Some of us do not want our cars totaled out over a stupid cat theft. This is a very real possibility as the vehicle gets older.
Plus there is the hassle and inconvenience associated with getting the cat replaced. At one point not too long ago it was very difficult to get a replacement cat for a Kia Soul as, like the Prius, they were being stolen frequently. In California (and I believe NY and one other state) you can't buy an OTC replacement cat. Emissions laws require only original equipment cats to be used, thereby increasing demand, scarcity, cost, and inconvenience. The only place you could obtain a legal Prius cat was through Toyota (please correct me if things have changed).

For the thieves that use cordless cutting tools this looks to be another thirty seconds tacked on to the job.
That’s really the issue.

A good carbide blade, a good cordless Sawzall, and a lack of concern for collateral damage, makes for quick work.

The shield really just makes your car a “hard target”, meaning they likely move on rather than spend the extra time.

Maybe…

I’ll pass, in the many decades I’ve been driving in the many places I’ve lived. I’ve never known anyone to have a converter stolen and I’m certainly not going to spend $200 or more for an antitheft device.

That’s really the issue.

A good carbide blade, a good cordless Sawzall, and a lack of concern for collateral damage, makes for quick work.

The shield really just makes your car a “hard target”, meaning they likely move on rather than spend the extra time.

Maybe…
But, it is good way to make some extra money. That will be “dealership add on.”

Why couldn’t we just require all cats to be laser-engraved with the vehicle’s VIN and a QR code, and make recycling centers scan them against the BMV database to cross-check the license of the person selling it? Call the cops if they don’t match…. Simple.

Or else, simply stop allowing cat recycling.

Some states, like NY, will not allow anything but OEM new cats for replacement. The fines and penalties are pretty stiff as I understand...

Seems to me the better "theft deterrent" design is the cat/exhaust manifold as a single unit. This puts the cat out of reach from the underside unless the hood is opened. This placement is vehicle/engine dependent and likely increases the cost of replacement but should make it more difficult to steal.

View attachment 131785.
I believe my old 1988 Civic LX was like this.

Some of us do not want our cars totaled out over a stupid cat theft. This is a very real possibility as the vehicle gets older.
There seems to be a steady stream of late 90s and early 00s Ford trucks and vans getting their cats stolen around here. When they were available they were all $2,500-4,000 a piece. Unfortunately they are pretty much all discontinued, but it they were available our sales numbers would be through the roof.

Some states, like NY, will not allow anything but OEM new cats for replacement. The fines and penalties are pretty stiff as I understand...
I remember a buddies Celica taken in for emissions inspection in NY. Barely any exhaust came out because manifold had so many holes and was obviously loud. The shop passed it as it barely tail pipe sniffer registered anything despite check engine light on.

While probably true, incorporating the cat with the exhaust manifold would vastly increase the cost of replacing the cat.

And it seems to me that cats run hot or at least get hot periodically. And all that heat wouldn't be good under the hood. Remember the system BMW used in the late 1970s before cats (don't remember the name). The under hood heat was a big problem.
Thermal reactors

Tundra and Sequoia 5.7 are often targets. Two of the four cats bring good money for the thieves.

Here in the Twin Cities, cat theft since the start of the pandemic has skyrocketed. 80% Prius', the remainder being large trucks and vans with the occasional step-child thrown in.

The early Prius' are no big deal, it's the later models with the heat exchanger that are a pain. They can only be sourced from Toyota, and they're impossible to find. I'm down to one, but for months I had THREE sitting in my lot waiting for parts.

The worst one, though, was a newer 6.7 F-450. They stole both the cat and the particulate filter, while destroying multiple O2 sensors and pressure sensors. I believe that ended up being something like a $7k repair.

The solution is to make it illegal to take a cut off cat to any scrap dealer without the paperwork. Only allow a cat to be sold if the seller has the title of the car, and has sign off from the local police department that allows the transaction to occur.

No easy market for the cut cats, no desire to source by the meth heads.

I remember a buddies Celica taken in for emissions inspection in NY. Barely any exhaust came out because manifold had so many holes and was obviously loud. The shop passed it as it barely tail pipe sniffer registered anything despite check engine light on.

Not sure when that was, but they don't test tailpipe emissions in NY. They just plug it into a computer and send the read-out to Albany. If the light is on, more than likely it fails although cars of a certain age (late 1990's) are exempted....

Back