New Pennzoil Oils? Max power, hybrid, stop/start, and extended care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Brons2
Any VOAs on these?

Or cost data? Remember a few months back when PUP just to $27 something do I hear $30?

Last edited:
Has anyone ever seen a Pennzoil Platinum bottle that says "guaranteed to stay in-grade?"

I'm thinking the lawyers told the marketing hucksters that would be too much of a stretch.

Originally Posted by Impatient
Has anyone ever seen a Pennzoil Platinum bottle that says "guaranteed to stay in-grade?"

I'm thinking the lawyers told the marketing hucksters that would be too much of a stretch.

With all the fuel some of these engines, especially DI
27.gif
dump into oil, guaranteeing it to stay in grade would be foolish imo.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
27.gif

I agree. People like to blame the oil for so many things that are not related.

Especially when the vast majority of of the UOA on this site are produced by a company that has demonstrated it cannot reliably measure viscosity.

But some oils withstand fuel-related and other thinning forces better than others. PP & PUP 5w30 might be great for 5w20 applications, but I had 5w30 PPUP thin (shear or dilute, or both) to 8.4 cst after only 900 miles (9 hundred), meanwhile, the current fill (also an xw30) still has 10.1 after over 9000 miles (9 thousand); it started at 11.3, and is SN-compliant. No modifications or fixes were performed on the engine (Ford 3.5EB).

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by demarpaint
27.gif

I agree. People like to blame the oil for so many things that are not related.

Especially when the vast majority of of the UOA on this site are produced by a company that has demonstrated it cannot reliably measure viscosity.

Great point about the viscosity.

Originally Posted by Impatient
But some oils withstand fuel-related and other thinning forces better than others. PP & PUP 5w30 might be great for 5w20 applications, but I had 5w30 PPUP thin (shear or dilute, or both) to 8.4 cst after only 900 miles (9 hundred), meanwhile, the current fill (also an xw30) still has 10.1 after over 9000 miles (9 thousand); it started at 11.3, and is SN-compliant. No modifications or fixes were performed on the engine (Ford 3.5EB).

How is that possible? Wouldn't it be that fuel with a certain viscosity will thin out the oil in a predictable manner? In your example above, wouldn't that indicate that the two oils either started out with a different viscosity or there was a different amount of fuel in the two samples?

Why would it not be possible for one oil to be less robust than another? AND, YES, some oils are thicker than others.

30wt is a range. If PP & PUP start out at the thin end, they don't have to thin much before they are "out-of-grade" ...within 900 miles in my case. This current fill (a special Valvoline/Cummins oil) thinned less, AND started out more in the middle of the 30wt range. I was wrong above, it went from 11.3 to 10.4...after over 9000 mi.

I've seen others UOA's of QSUD which started out even thicker (11.7?) and thinned to the mid-9's range (dropping ~ 2cst), and Rotella MV start out equally thick but thin to only mid-10 range. In my EB, PUP went from 9.7ish to 8.4 in no time. Also, in my Subaru turbo, Euro Castrol dropped from 12.1ish to 11ish: starting thicker, and thinning less. My first oil change on that car was to PP, and it sounded louder, more-metallic if I recall, though I never had it tested. I know, different motors, different conditions, but I've concluded that some oils are more resistant to thinning than others, AND, if you want to end up "in-grade" maybe it's best to not start out at the thin end of that grade.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BurntMusic
I wouldn't say it's all BS. I noticed that PP Platinum doesn't have the ford spec WSS-M2C946-B1 but the PP Start/Stop does.

I have two different bottles of PP. Each bought a few months apart. Both have different labels, but the most recent version of PP I picked up earlier this week now has -B1 spec.

What if I'm looking for maximum power protection in my higher mileage f150 with start stop tech? Should I mix them together?

Also, my hybrid takes 0w-20, I guess I should use the 0w-16 since it says hybrid on it... right?

How about you just give me your best base oil and additive package?

Well, Shell's overwhelming of the marketplace does have benefits. I picked up 14 quarts of Rotella Gas Truck for 28 bucks, minus a $20 rewards card. After rebates, they'll be paying me to take that oil! Great oil, though. I look forward to using it!

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Well, Shell's overwhelming of the marketplace does have benefits. I picked up 14 quarts of Rotella Gas Truck for 28 bucks, minus a $20 rewards card. After rebates, they'll be paying me to take that oil! Great oil, though. I look forward to using it!

Yes! I took advantage of the closeout prices too. The more I think about it my feeling is a good portion of these oils will be blown out late next year. Stay tuned for some good prices.

I'm wondering how many people will buy the "hybrid" 0w16 to put in their hybrid vehicle that really requires 0w20. Seems irresponsible to put that on a bottle when the average person would think "oh yeah I have a hybrid this will work".

I switched to Mobil 1 years ago and have no intention of going to anything else. I buy 0w20 and 10w30. That's it. (10w30 for lawn equipment)

Originally Posted by dakota99
I'm wondering how many people will buy the "hybrid" 0w16 to put in their hybrid vehicle that really requires 0w20. Seems irresponsible to put that on a bottle when the average person would think "oh yeah I have a hybrid this will work".

I switched to Mobil 1 years ago and have no intention of going to anything else. I buy 0w20 and 10w30. That's it. (10w30 for lawn equipment)

The average person that uniformed has no business changing his own oil.

Oh I agree. You would be surprised at what people will do though. I could see someone grabbing this for their friend to change their oil or a top off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back