New Oil From Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mobil
Mobil 1™ ESP X1 0W-30 synthetic motor oil has been expertly engineered to help prolong the life and maintain the efficiency of emission systems in both diesel and gasoline powered automobiles. Formulated to be fully compatible with the latest Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF's) and Gasoline Catalytic Converters (CAT's), it replaces Mobil 1™ ESP Formula M 5W-40 and Mobil 1™ ESP 0W-30.

Interesting. I'll be looking forward to a VOA.

Thanks for sharing OC.

Kind of odd that it has MB and BMW approvals but not VW's 502... which is usually a mutual grouping.

Yea. I'm thinking this should be in the diesel forum.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Thanks for sharing OC.

Kind of odd that it has MB and BMW approvals but not VW's 502... which is usually a mutual grouping.

I'm still reading the link...

Interesting that that this new 30-grade oil replaces ESP Formula 5W-40.

CATERHAM won't like the HTHS of 3.5.

Thanks for sharing OC.

If anything, it would have been VW 504 00 / 507 00 since these are VW's diesel specs.

Thanks for sharing OC.

Also no mention of meeting API or ILSAC requirements, only ACEA C2 & C3.

Originally Posted By: R80RS

It's an oil targeted at Euro cars. They don't care much about API/ILSAC. With an HT/HS of 3.5 cP, this oil could not qualify for ILSAC GF-5.

BTW, nice viscosity index of this oil. Better than the regular M1 0w-30. When I use Widman's viscosity calculator, it actually shows 184. I wonder why XOM's page shows 180.

Last edited:
In the Product Guide it says, "SN Engine Test Requirements". Take that for what it's worth.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
Thanks for sharing OC.

My favorite 0W-30 is made by DELO. Plug that into your calculator.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
BTW, nice viscosity index of this oil. Better than the regular M1 0w-30. When I use Widman's viscosity calculator, it actually shows 184. I wonder why XOM's page shows 180.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Is this the response to Castrol rolling out a 0w40 earlier this year?

Castrol 0w-40 meets a completely different set of mfg specs.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
My favorite 0W-30 is made by DELO. Plug that into your calculator.

Yeah, but that's a completely different animal.

Yes it is.

Yeah, but that's a completely different animal.

If anything, it would have been VW 504 00 / 507 00 since these are VW's diesel specs.

If it's replacing ESP 5w-30 and it doesn't have a VW 507.00 approval, that's a big deal for CR diesel owners.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Is this the response to Castrol rolling out a 0w40 earlier this year?

Castrol 0w-40 meets a completely different set of mfg specs.

exactly. like the M1 0w40 specs.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
In the Product Guide it says, "SN Engine Test Requirements". Take that for what it's worth.

If you look at the relative performance tool at:
http://lubrizol.com/apps/relperftool/pc.html API SN doesn't remotely compare to the performance level of 229.52. Nor does GF-5 with the exception of Catalytic converter protection and economy.

Seems the european OEM's look at engine oil differently than Asian, or American OEM's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back