New Oil From Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
If anything, it would have been VW 504 00 / 507 00 since these are VW's diesel specs.

If it's replacing ESP 5w-30 and it doesn't have a VW 507.00 approval, that's a big deal for CR diesel owners.

The M1 quote above states that it replaces ESP 0W-30. I thought there was only ESP 5W-40 and 5W-30.
21.gif

Quote:

...it replaces Mobil 1™ ESP Formula M 5W-40 and Mobil 1™ ESP 0W-30.

I hope it's not replacing ESP 5W-30 as a lot of WRX owners are running this because it's an SM "5W-30". I realize XOM says you can use 0W-30 in place of 5W-30, but lots of people don't like to deviate from the grade in the manual.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Originally Posted By: Mobil
Mobil 1™ ESP X1 0W-30 synthetic motor oil has been expertly engineered to help prolong the life and maintain the efficiency of emission systems in both diesel and gasoline powered automobiles. Formulated to be fully compatible with the latest Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF's) and Gasoline Catalytic Converters (CAT's), it replaces Mobil 1™ ESP Formula M 5W-40 and Mobil 1™ ESP 0W-30.

Interesting. I'll be looking forward to a VOA.

+1 to that.

So they basicly conform to all spec but the viscosity for an energy conserving part?awesome call Mobil.I all have to go get some of this

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
a lot of WRX owners are running this because it's an SM "5W-30".

ESP 5w-30 is not officially API SM certified. XOM only says that it meets requirements of API SM. Not sure if the difference matters much though.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
If anything, it would have been VW 504 00 / 507 00 since these are VW's diesel specs.

If it's replacing ESP 5w-30 and it doesn't have a VW 507.00 approval, that's a big deal for CR diesel owners.

It is not replacing ESP 5w-30.

I just wish that they would produce a high VI, strong add pack, very high starting/retained TBN, 0W-30 EP, already.

But I know they must keep developing all of these; low/mid/whatever SAPs products for their Euro market/marque customers.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I just wish that they would produce a high VI, strong add pack, very high starting/retained TBN, 0W-30 EP, already.

I know. Even in their HDEO lines, the high TBN stuff is all 5w-XX, like 5w-40 and 5w-30. The 0w-30 and 0w-40 HDEOs take a significant TBN hit.

Not a big fan of oils that claim C2/C3 by specifying HTHS of exactly 3.5.

More of an issue with the As and [censored] versus the specs, but a bit silly for an "economy" spec oil to be at 3.5.

BTW, nice viscosity index of this oil. Better than the regular M1 0w-30. When I use Widman's viscosity calculator, it actually shows 184. I wonder why XOM's page shows 180.

Just shows Widman's calculator is within 2.2% of Mobil's measurement. Pretty good I think and well within error tolerance.

Last edited:
I'm sure they are referring to using a 40-grade this oil is said to replace when they say, "...with potential fuel economy benefits". Just my guess.

I think this oil will be a great stay-in-grade and year-round alternative to using a high mileage oil in older engines calling for a 30-grade oil. Having said that, I'd be more inclined to use Amsoil's excellent HDD 5W-30 before X1.

M1 High Mileage 5W-30

Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)
@ 100ºC 11.7
@ 40ºC 69.2
Viscosity Index 165
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.3
Pour Point, ºC (ASTM D97) -39
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 230
Density @15.6 ºC g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.856

M1 ESP X1 0W-30

Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 65.0
cSt @ 100ºC 12.0
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 0.8
Phosphorous 0.08
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.847
Total Base Number (TBN) ASTM D 2896 7.6
MRV at -30ºC 24,800
Viscosity Index 180
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @150ºC, ASTM D 4683 3.5

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Not a big fan of oils that claim C2/C3 by specifying HTHS of exactly 3.5.

More of an issue with the As and [censored] versus the specs, but a bit silly for an "economy" spec oil to be at 3.5.

Last edited:
Viscosity Index isn't measured, it's a calculation based on the KV40 and KV100, each of which IS a measurement...1cst on the

1cst on the KV40 is 3-4 on the VI around this oil

My 08 Jeep 3.8 uses about 1/2 quart of oil every 1000 miles. The cat had to be replaced at 75k miles. Would this oil be one to consider running in that engine? I've tried several different oils and haven't found one that reduces oil consumption significantly. Only changing the PCV reduced it from 1 to .5 every 1k.

Is there a reason NOT to try this oil in that application? I don't know much about Chemistry, especially with lubricants, so I rely on the experts around here. This oil, on paper (marketing), appears to address the two big issues for me with that engine.

Edit: I'm currently running M1 0w-40. Maybe the ESP 5w-30 or ESP 5w-40 would be a better choice?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyFan
My 08 Jeep 3.8 uses about 1/2 quart of oil every 1000 miles. The cat had to be replaced at 75k miles. Would this oil be one to consider running in that engine? I've tried several different oils and haven't found one that reduces oil consumption significantly. Only changing the PCV reduced it from 1 to .5 every 1k.

Is there a reason NOT to try this oil in that application? I don't know much about Chemistry, especially with lubricants, so I rely on the experts around here. This oil, on paper (marketing), appears to address the two big issues for me with that engine.

You might have one of the 3.8L engines that was supposedly assembled incorrectly which is causing the high oil use. IIRC there were a bunch of them with the piston rings installed upside down. IIRC it was discussed here. Having said all that I would give the oil a try and see if it helps. You won't know until you try. I hope it helps.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

You might have one of the 3.8L engines that was supposedly assembled incorrectly which is causing the high oil use. IIRC there were a bunch of them with the piston rings installed upside down. IIRC it was discussed here. Having said all that I would give the oil a try and see if it helps. You won't know until you try. I hope it helps.

That might well be the case. The ones I've seen officially diagnosed with that issue used over 1 qt per 1k, and mostly came out of Mexico. Mine was built in the US and hasn't quite approached that level of usage. (It stil could have that issue, though.) I've not met anyone yet with this engine that doesn't use at least some oil. My brother had it in a mini van and put 230k on it before selling it. His used oil like mine, but ran great and was still running great when he sold it. I do have the lifetime power train warranty, but they won't consider getting into it until it gets to at least 1qt per 1k. I've been close, but no cigar. The engine does run well. I just don't want to go through another cat after the emissions warranty is up at 100k.

Sorry for the slightly OT sidebar. I'm just looking hard for a good oil that will cure or reduce oil consumption or at least prolong the life of the cat.

ESP stands for Emission System Protection. Sounds like you're a perfect candidate. You should be able to find ESP 5W-30 on the shelf somewhere. Try it and report back.

I'm just looking hard for a good oil that will cure or reduce oil consumption or at least prolong the life of the cat.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
ESP stands for Emission System Protection. Sounds like you're a perfect candidate. You should be able to find ESP 5W-30 on the shelf somewhere. Try it and report back.

I'm just looking hard for a good oil that will cure or reduce oil consumption or at least prolong the life of the cat.

I'm thinking I will give it a shot. Now I just need to find it. Any suggestions? We've got Autozone, Napa, Advance Auto, and O'Reilly's in our area. I have no clue if any of them carry it. I'd be equally fine with the 5w/40, if I found it and couldn't find the 5w/30.

How does this compare to the Mobil Elite 222 0w30, formerly XD3, which is available only in Canada. This is a great oil, at a great price. I have used it for years. Maybe they are finally offering it to the US. Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back