New Oil Filter Supplier for Honda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did the first oil and filter change on our 2007 Honda Fit as it has reached 6,350 kms. To my surprise the factory installed oil filter was a Mahle???
dunno.gif
dunno.gif

The Fit is assembled in Japan so I was expecting a Toyo Roki or Fram in Honda blue.

Yes, the Mahle was labled 'Honda' and blue in colour.

Forgot to add: Honda Japan must have used an ape to install this filter. Took me 20 minutes of strong-arming it to get it loose. Everything else I own uses a larger filter and none of my oil filter wrenches would fit it.

Factory fill was already drained before I dealt with the filter.

If believe it is standard practice for Japanese car manufacturer's to hire sumo wrestlers to install oil filters for them. Perhaps they have some sort of foreign exchange program going on with Germany because I've found those OEM filters equally impossible to remove.

'Can you cut it open and post pictures?'

I had to modify my Longacre oil filter cutter to cut the smaller diameter oil filters. Did that this afternoon and cut the Honda/Mahle open to compare it with used Carquest and Purolator oil filters that I kept in the garage.

I must say I'm impressed! It has more filter media (larger) than the Carquest and Purolator filters and seems more solidly made.

I do have access to a digital camera and can take some photos, but I'm not sure how to post them on this forum.
canada.gif

'Can you cut it open and post pictures?'

I had to modify my Longacre oil filter cutter to cut the smaller diameter oil filters. Did that this afternoon and cut the Honda/Mahle open to compare it with used Carquest and Purolator oil filters that I kept in the garage.

I must say I'm impressed! It has more filter media (larger) than the Carquest and Purolator filters and seems more solidly made.

I do have access to a digital camera and can take some photos, but I'm not sure how to post them on this forum.
canada.gif

MAHLE accumulates more than a 100 years experience in the manufacturing of filters in its units set up in Europe, Korea, Índia, México, United States and Japan. In Brazil the operations started in 2000 in the city of Mogi Guaçu in the state of São Paulo.
---------------------

As they have a plant in Japan..it makes sense they can be first fit on some Honda applications.

quote:

Originally posted by NorWest5:
Forgot to add: Honda Japan must have used an ape to install this filter. Took me 20 minutes of strong-arming it to get it loose.

Same with my Japanese-made 2005 CR-V. I was literally raising myself off the ground trying to break it free for 15 minutes. Just changed again recently and the Amsoil filter was smooth and easy. So, it wasn't an engine/design issue it was a gorilla install issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back