New oil at the supermarket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our local Stater Brothers market has a new oil out. It has a nice big tag with "Try me" on it and "New product" or something along that line.

Non detergent SAE30 SA oil!

Who's idea was it to introduce a useless oil as a motor oil?

It's $3.69 a qt!

They also have an oil that claims to be SM oil but theres no donut on the bottle.
33.gif

Think I'll stick with ST and Peak. At least it has the donut.

I read in a thread here on BITOG that a huge percentage of oil is sold in the SA grade. IIRC, it was something like 20+%.

It's going into somebodys car, there arent enough chain saws on the planet to account for that useage.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
I read in a thread here on BITOG that a huge percentage of oil is sold in the SA grade. IIRC, it was something like 20+%.

Assuming the accuracy of the source ....

Perhaps this is Group I used as an additive carrier oil?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
not even lawn mowers that's bar and chain oil.
I was thinking door hinges.
C'mon now I can oil my filter and lube the chain with it.

"or if someone is daring enough...a uoa"
lol def

As far as I am concerned, calling it motor oil or even implying that it could or should be used in a car engine, is downright criminal.

Tom NJ

Actually it might work in the pump on my pressure washer, which calls for a non-detergent 30 grade oil. I have a stash of some that I bought a while back so I'll pass. BTW the price is too high anyway!

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
$3.69 a quart for THAT?!
33.gif

When we go food shopping I always do a survey of the small automotive section that they have. The oils are mostly Citgo, but are more or less cheaper than just about any place other than WM.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Actually it might work in the pump on my pressure washer, which calls for a non-detergent 30 grade oil.

Be careful, those pumps can run quite hot, and I burned one out on the factory fill oil (deeply scored wobble plate). Most SAE 30 non-detergent oils are either SA or SB. SAs have no additives, while SBs at least have some ZDDP. I wouldn't use an SA in a pressure washer pump, but an SB should work.

In my case, the manufacturer sent me a new pump for free, and I formlated my own oil for it (POE & PAO with a super robust additive system). The pump runs much cooler and I have had no problems for the past five years.

Tom NJ

Use SA for food service/pkg equipment? Actually, I prefer some Ca sulphonate in my summer sausages. Promotes Strong bones and Teeth ...
wink.gif

I saw the ACCEL brand of oil at Big Lots the other day. They have an SAE 40 in stock, API SA. They also have a 10W-40 API SM. Both are the same price. Wonder how many people are buying the monograde oil instead of the multi grade.

Thanks Tom, I just had a look at what I've been using. Valvoline SAE 30 SB non-detergent. The machine is about 15 years old. Only work done on the pump was replace a seal. Only reason that happened was because I made the mistake of allowing someone who was not familiar with the machine borrow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back