New Motul 0w20 double ester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up 2 bottles (4 litres) at a whopping S$126.

Front of bottle

Back of bottle

Colour is amber. Odour is difficult to describe in words, but if I had to put it into words, I'd say it smells very mildly fragrant.

Specs:

Viscosity grade SAE J 300 0W-20
Density at 15°C (59°F) ASTM D1298 0.857
Viscosity at 100°C (212°F) ASTM D445 8.0 mm²/s
Viscosity at 40°C (104°F) ASTM D445 40.1 mm²/s
Viscosity index ASTM D2270 177
HTHS viscosity at 150°C (302°F) ASTM D4741 2.68 mPa.s
Pour point ASTM D97 -39°C / -38°F
Flash point ASTM D92 220°C / 428°F
TBN ASTM D 2896 11.3 mg KOH/g

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:

Ok, I'll bite, and ask what may be a dumb, obvious question...

Why does an oil with such a small viscosity spread have such a large Viscosity Index ?
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Losiho:

quote:

Why does an oil with such a small viscosity spread have such a large Viscosity Index ?
confused.gif

Good question.

Interesting to see a "racing" oil as a 20w. And at 8.0 vis I think this is among the thinnest 20w we've seen. I noticed the 0% sheer loss statement on the back and am a bit skeptical to say the least. We've seen that the 20w oils (in general) have proven to be very sheer stable but 0%? I also find the "high temp protection" statement very intruiging. One of the most common knocks against the 20w oils has been doubts about their ability to withstand high temps and if they could be used in "racing" applications.

This stuff sure isn't cheep and obviously not intended to reach a huge market. I'd love to see how this stuf performs at the track in some modified, high rpm, high horsepower motors.

As far as the 0.00 loss of this oil, Castrol makes a 5w-40 that bench tests to 0.01 % loss with a high VI index for comparison .

I think no polymers in that 12.8 cSt 40wt which is the Castrol 5w-40R

quote:

quote:

confused.gif

Because the esters used in the base oil blend have such a high VI.

There is a good chance this oil (like Fuchs 0w20) has no VI improver in it at all, which would make it extremely shear stable.

Thanks for the info Motorbike and G-Man!

Ken4....what type of vehicle are you planning on using this stuff in?

quote:

...Ok, I'll bite, and ask what may be a dumb, obvious question...

confused.gif

The 0w designation sets maximum values for cold-cranking and cold-pumping viscosity. There are no minimum values. So there can be a big difference in cold temp performance between an oil that barely qualifies for the 0w designation and another oil that far surpasses it.

Neo claims a VI of 180 for their very thin 0w-5.

Mikep, Im putting it in my 2000 camry 2.2L first, possibly later into my 2002 toyota ipsum 2.4L, 2000 suzuki grand vitara v6, and 2003 corolla 1.6L.

According to this Motul Factsheet, Motul's synthetic esters are also classified as biodegradable (see page 6). Therefore it is also very likely it is of a chemically modified vegetable oil origin, rather than of a petrochemical origin.

Unless I've seen a UOA, Im not too convinced a thin biodegradable vegetable based origin ester could protect a turbo well. A polyolester based oil like Redline's 5w20 would probably be a safer bet.

quote:

Unless I've seen a UOA, Im not too convinced a thin biodegradable vegetable based origin ester could protect a turbo well. A polyolester based oil like Redline's 5w20 would probably be a safer bet.

I think going for a 50-60wt oil(like FK/Thrust) would be safest.. after all, when an owner owns an Evo.. I think fuel consumption is certainly not a priority..
wink.gif

I think Molakule wrote something about Motul and Mobil1 Tri Syn being pretty similar.Coconut based esters huh?

I still like M1 SS the best.

Motul's double ester came about due to SM specs. It's a polymer ester and complex ester. According to the conversation I had, you can have much more than 50% ester in a formulation. It used to be the case that you couldn't. Also, all oils that claim to be 100% ester are not in that some carrier is used...PAO/Group II/III etc.

quote:

[QB] Picked up 2 bottles (4 litres) at a whopping S$126.

I hope that $126 is a type, because for that price you should have the president of motul come down and thank you. Or maybe bring get a free trip to the refinery.

Seriously, it has to be a typo. I wonder why nobody said anything about it.

What currency do they use in Singapore? If you noticed, he listed the price as S$126. Does the S stand for Singapore dollars?

Motul sponsors aggressively at so many levels of racing, no doubt a chunk of the retail price goes to that.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Also, all oils that claim to be 100% ester are not in that some carrier is used...PAO/Group II/III etc.

Are you saying that in ester oils , PAO is added as an additive carrier
nono.gif
? I thought we had cleared it up that PAO's biggest problem is additive solubility. Don't you remember Mobil 1 using a small amount of dino as an additive carrier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back