New Motorcycle Break-in

Status
Not open for further replies.
JeePing... Hogwash, show us the studies that show otherwise. Your offensive use of the word "retard" shows a lot. Sad. This type of test has been done many times with different types of vehicles. It's empirical and the measurements tell a real story.

CT8, did I say it was broken in at the factory? No, I did not. Is that how you read my response to doing 4 oil changes in the first 1,000 miles? I am saying it is excessive to my knowledge and explaining why. Not harmful in the least, but excessive.

No heartburn towards Trav, just my take on it from rebuilding engines and breaking them in and looking at oil filters, sending oil in for analysis.

The initial piston/cylinder break in is well under way on that first start and test run, and any "major" debris from any system is going out the drain hole before it leaves the factory. Stands to reason with the fill and drain at the factory they don't have problems with by-products of production ruining engines. Whether oil is in there for 5 minutes or 600 miles, if there is debris, the oil is splashed around so much in there it will find its way anywhere right away. It's not going to sit there for 599 miles and then get you on the 600th. Think about it...

Any oil getting up into the valve train is filtered oil. I would not expect there to be anything getting into a cam bearing cap or scar a cam lobe. There is a LOT of oil flowing right off the bat, the bulk of whatever debris is flushed and gone at the factory.

Most definitely run the bike up in the RPM range under load and let engine braking slow the bike down. This keeps the rings pressed out against the cylinder walls and keeps oil up on the cylinder walls as things mate together.

My response was simply to point out the excessive amount of oil changing going on in the first 1000 miles. Take it for what it's worth, believe what you want, and ride long and prosper!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Ragtoplvr, Trav, Bonz,

+10^6 for the comments

Being an engineer myself, I have found that frequent oil changes (around 4-5 till 1000km mark) cannot be substituted. Especially for air cooled bikes.

When it comes to reading service manuals, there are two types of values
a) the ones that are written by the engineers, for example torque values of a nut, and stay intact, and may change only due to a typo.

b) the ones that are written by the person who created the word or pdf file, after this was written by the engineer and after it was reviewed by all the relative departments of the company who produces the product, motorcycle, automobile, etc, for example oil change intervals.
The influence of sales dept, finance dept etc depends on brand and product, and what I have understood by holding various positions in such companies, from engineering to procurement, and from warehousing management to sales, and back to engineering is that the ideal service intervals change because of various factors.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bonz
JeePing... Hogwash....................This type of test has been done many times with different types of vehicles. It's empirical and the measurements tell a real story...........................
smile.gif

Thats my point....what test?

Watch the video I posted.

I'm not talking about oil changes, I'm talking about trashing the crap out of the engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Jeep, it's obvious you have no reading comprehension. Most importantly, I pointed out the fact that since the OP hasn't ridden in over a DECADE, he will likely need time to get reacquainted and dust off his riding skills which will likely match with the break-in period.

The OP didn't say he hadn't ridden in over a decade, he said it was the first new bike he's bought since '07. I imagine he's been riding the other bikes in his signature.

Back to the break-in topic: Like Trav, I like several oil/filter changes in the first 1000 miles. I have had more than a few shared-sump engines apart. I have seen engines that showed premature wear (bearings, gear teeth) that ran several thousand miles on the original oil fill.

People can do as they wish, but oil is cheap, and I do my own servicing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back