NEW Mobil 1 High Mileage LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Mobil 1 uses
high-performance synthetic fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAO),

Makes sense. My interpretation is that Mobil 1 uses Group III+/AN base oils including SuperSyn High viscosity PAO.

I bought a 5w30 M1 supersyn high mileage in western canada $30cnd for 5.4L, just changed the oil on my nissan 350z (with low mileage). I dont think it would hurt - anyone with any comments

after approx 1500 mi - from what I can see down the oil fill hole the M1 HM stuff is actually cleaning the varnish off. It used to be dark varnishy color before and now its bright clean alum color

Do we really need 101 types of Colgate toothpast and 101 types of Mobil-1 to match? Have the marketing people gone bonkers or what ?????

This is a new direction for XOM, one I don't really like.

sounds like xom is whoring out mobil 1. first it was EP, now it's this high mileage stuff. so much for being a premo synthetic. anything to make $$$

Oils are purpose built. No one quality synthetic oil can be great for all things. This one swells seals more than regular M1, has more cleaning ability (API SL; lots of additives; likely more esters and/or akylated napthalene), and is thick for the viscosity grade (to reduce oil consumption via both higher viscosity and lower volatility). It also appears to use really good basestocks in the 10W-30 HM version, based on its combined high and low temp viscometrics.

The New Mobil 1 10w30HM PDS is out.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAXXENPVLMOMobil_1_High_Mileage_Oil.asp

Mobil 1 High Mileage oils meet or exceed the following industry specifications:
10W-30
ACEA A3/B3,A3/B4
API SL,SJ,CF

Typical Properties

10W-30 HM
SAE Grade
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40º C 78.2
cSt @ 100º C 11.79
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 145
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.31
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC ASTM D 4683 3.66
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -54
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 231
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.865

10W-30 HM is functionally like a thin 40 weight and should not shear at all. The 10W-40 HM is functionally like a medium to thick 40 weight and might shear some.

Quote:

I don't like that viscosity at 40c, that's way too thick for my tastes. Most 10w30s are closer to 65cst.

It's thinner than MOTUL 8100 X-cess 5W-40 !!

Viscosity at 100°C (212°F) ASTM D445 14.0 mm²/s
Viscosity at 40°C (104°F) ASTM D445 83.1 mm²/s

Why would one be in business if not to make money? Is that not the objective of a business, non-profits aside? Good marketing is part of business. I wouldn't even want to deal with a business that was not profit motivated, for obvious reasons. I think a major player in the oil market would be foolish not to jump into the "high mileage" arena at this point.

I plan on using M1 HM 10w30 in my autocrossed 2001 Subaru 2.5RS because of the higher viscosity and extra anti-wear additives. I had been using 3 qts M1 EP 10w30 and 1 M1 20w50.
I think it will be perfect for this application.
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back