New Michelin Primacy MXV4 rough when cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires seem to ride rough when cold. They do this for the first couple of miles. I also notice some vibration at that time. Do some brands flat spot when cold? Somewhat distracting to me. Otherwise tires seem to be fine.

Some tires do tend to flatspot more. And on some cars with sensitive steering (like our BMWs) it seems to be more noticeable than on others.

As new tires break-in, they can become slightly out of balance - causing a little vibration.

The first tire rotation (from front to rear, diagonally) is the most important one and you might want to have them all rebalnced.

I understand that tires with certain types or quantities of materials (like nylon) are more prone to flat-spotting than others. I understand this is more prevant with tires designed for higher speeds, because of the materials used.

The Latitude Tours on our CR-V do have slight flat spots after sitting cold. I find that keeping them aired to 32 psi vs. 30 psi pretty much eliminates the sensation.

I'd say that is normal for quite a few tires.

Where the Primacy is concerned either that property or my sensitivity to it diminishes as the tire builds mileage.

My mom has those on her EX35 and she's never mentioned that kind of problem before...and she is extremely sensitive to that sort of thing. (The Primacys were installed because the factory Dunlops were "too loud" for her, so she's definitely paying very close attention to tires)

Are there red and/or yellow dots on the tires sidewall? They indicate the heavy and high points of the tire. The rim also has marks for high spot, of course the valve stem is the heavy spot. Knowing both, the tire can be mounted in a position where the balance is pretty close. Hope that makes some sense.

But...These tire shops slap the tires on any old way, and bang on a ton of weights to compensate for laziness. Leads to bad experiences after a few k.

Or...

A host of other things like a bad one, bad match for that vehicle, may need an alignment, etc.

Are you referring to the H or V rated version? I have the V rated 215/50-17 MXV4's on an Accord and have not experienced any noticeable flat spotting vibration.

Now the Conti DWS's the Primacy's replaced after 30 days of use, they had some serious spotting vibration after sitting, especially over night and worse when cold outside. The V rated MXV4's were/are a huge improvement, very smooth.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Hope that makes some sense.

Not really. The OP is talking about a temporary condition that only happens for a few miles after he starts driving each morning. Once the tires warm up, they regain their roundness and become smooth-riding again.

my kumho 4x do the same thing.

I am considering a free rebalance but It mostly stops after 5miles or so.. so doubtful if it will help anything.

I am extremely sensitive(not quite ocd) to tire vibrations.. and its not bad enough to really bother me.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses. I think I have a better understaning of what might be going on. I went to an H rated tire, not a V specifically to get a better ride as the H supposedly rides softer. My car calls for H not V.

BTW, I may do a force balance. Not sure of the exact name. Just had the alignment done and some rear suspension refresh such a s pitman arms and sub-frame mounts replaced. e34 BMW people know what parts I mean. Car tracks in curves much better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back