New member here! First oil question/Nissan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all I am a new member her but have been using this site for research for a while. Man you guys seem to really know your stuff! So my first bit of advice is going to be for my new to me 1998 nissan frontier 4cyl. automatic. Bought this truck last month from an elderly gentleman and the truck only has 76000 original miles. great shape. With the guidance from this site I have pretty much replaced all of the fluids and of course the oil. I replaced the valve cover gasket and no sludge present but the valvetrain did have that light copper coloring to it. Nothing to worry with I am sure. My first oil change is with PP 5w30 and a wix filter. The truck was bought with the intentions of being used as a light work truck pulling a 5x8 lawn trailer that weighs about 1700 lbs. Pulls it fine but you do notice the hills and some times the truck is out of OD when pulling. The engine only has a sump capacity of 3 3/4 quarts so I will probably be doing 3-3500 OCI's. I use synthetics in my other vehicle and might do the same here as well but do you think with the 3500 oci this is overkill for my needs? Thanks!

With that oil and filter combo, you should easily be able to do up to 8000 based on your conditions. If you are uncomfortable with that go 5-6000 and call it a day.

Thanks. The truck is only used for towing as desribed above about 3-4 times a week. Part time work for me.

PP 5w30 is a fine oil, however may I suggest MS5000 for such a short oil interval. I think it would serve your purpose as well.

welcome2.gif

Often they tell you to use 3rd gear (not OD) for pulling trailers. There is less downshifting.

I approve of your oil, I would go 7500 miles on it, and that should be one of your standard choices on your oil reminder. I use PP in all my cars but my Corvette, it gets Ultra.

PP 5w30 (or any off-the-shelf 5w30 synthetic, really) should be fine to 5-6k with a comfortable margin. Sounds like you got a good truck! I always thought the Frontier was one of the best looking trucks.

Thanks for the advice guys! Even though this truck only has a 3 3/4 quart oil sump capacity is this something to be concerned about with my OCI's ??

Originally Posted By: lawnman
Thanks for the advice guys! Even though this truck only has a 3 3/4 quart oil sump capacity is this something to be concerned about with my OCI's ??

Other than checking oil level (for any used oil), no concern. Nissan also uses very small filters, like lawn mowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back