New member and PureOne cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just joined the site, I've visited occasionally for years but never signed up. I figured I should get on here after reading some posts and realizing my filter knowledge was outdated. I had been swearing by Purolator PureOne filters for years based on previous research but now come to find out that they have been having problems with tearing. I also was working on the assumption that all Fram filters were crahp but now I find out that Fram Ultras are considered high quality filters.

Which brings me to my daily driver, a 2003 Honda Civic hybrid, 1.3L four cylinder with 196,000 miles. I've been running Mobil 1 0W20 oil since I got the car with either M1 or PureOne filters depending on whether I got one with a special or had to buy the filter separately. Intervals of 14,000-15,000 based on UOAs which looked good at those intervals. I was hoping to push my next oil change off til Spring but I just hit 16,000 miles so I had to do it. I had a PureOne on for this interval and after reading about the tearing I figured it was worth cutting it open to check it out.

IMG_6067_zpsjla3gie1.jpg

IMG_6065_zpsymoxefsd.jpg

IMG_6066_zpshl1kvucj.jpg

This is the first time I've cut a filter open so if there's anything else I should do feel free to chime in. For this oil change I'm trying Edge for the first time so I'll get another UOA done when I change it and see how that performs. I also used a Purolator Boss filter based on some favorable information I read on here.

As far as filters go the ultra is a great filter and pretty much anything Wix is also very very good in my opinion.
Stay away from the iffy filters..
The boss is maybe the best looking oil filter paint wise but the center tube has super small oil holes.

First off
welcome2.gif
thankyou2.gif
Your Filter looks ok but the FRAM ultra is very stout. I personally like QSUD or M1 5w20 and their EP version.

So, 16K on a P1 and no evidence of tearing?
The pleats adjacent to the crimp are pretty wide, but there seems to be nothing to indicate that this filter was anything but a good choice.
Makes me feel better about the few P1s I still have and intend to use.

I sense you got the advanced auto oil change deal. I saw $30 for 5qts Edge and a Boss filter. With a small engine probably the tearing won't happen as easily or at all, not much restriction. These are obsolete filters now. I think the Boss may have a copy of Mann's Mercedes fleece filter media, so it should be fine. It's probably going to be a trouble free product is my guess.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
So, 16K on a P1 and no evidence of tearing?

He got lucky. Plus, I doubt a 1.3L 4-cyl engine puts out tons of oil volume through the filter.

The displacement of the engine has nothing to do with the flow rate of the oil pump.
Does any light vehicle oil pump provide for a higher flow rate than found in a typical four cylinder Subaru, just as an example?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The displacement of the engine has nothing to do with the flow rate of the oil pump.
Does any light vehicle oil pump provide for a higher flow rate than found in a typical four cylinder Subaru, just as an example?

Subaru turbo 4-cyl engines are freaks for oil flow. I highly doubt the 1.3L Honda 4-cyl flows anything even close to 14 GPM like a turbo Subaru.

Yes,
welcome2.gif

The Fram Ultra is quite awesome, but as stated above Wix filters are great too.

I got a little wild this last oil change and picked up a Wix for the Jeep! I usually use Fram Ultras.

Smaller engines generally flow less oil and have smaller oil pump requirements. They flow less oil because there are smaller and fewer oil galleries, fewer and smaller bearings. Each interface adds to the total flow through the system. What an unrestricted oil pump flows doesn't tell what the system flows. The filter outlet pipe on Subarus is pretty standard diameter, so if the flow is higher than others at that point, then the engines must run at higher oil pressure. An average man's views.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
welcome2.gif

Thank you for the cut and post
smile.gif

What is the date code?

F11F18E2

I assume that is the date code? Not sure how to read it.

Edit: Found the info on here. Fayetteville November 18th, 2014 Line E Shift 2

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I sense you got the advanced auto oil change deal. I saw $30 for 5qts Edge and a Boss filter.

I actually already had a five quart jug of Edge 0W20 that I bought a while ago when it was on special at KMart. I had been getting PureOnes because I could typically find them for about $6 but this time I bought the Boss just for a little extra piece of mind. I might grab that Edge/Boss deal you mentioned, I'm not sure it's worth paying extra for the Mobil 1 deal since I've heard nothing but good things about Edge.

16k and no tears. Go ahead, let the frampires pour forward singing songs of sorrow, lamenting the fact that purolators..really don't tear. It was all improper cutting technique, improper service interval and figments of imagination.

Good looking filter! Welcome to BITOG!

Originally Posted By: deoxy4
Do you remember how many month this filter was in use?

Just shy of 8 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back