New Mazda Viscosity Recommendation for 2.3 Turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone heard that Mazda of America is now recommending 5W-40 oil for the DISI engine fitted to the Mazdaspeed 3, Mazdaspeed 6 and CX-7? 5W-40 has been an approved grade in other markets but up to now MoA has only listed 5W-30 as an approved viscosity for US cars.

I've never heard this. But Mazda does specifically you can use 5W-40 in the 3.7L V6 (naturally aspirated), which calls for 5W-20... normally

This is interesting. Do you have a TSB or similar document for this? I just bought a few jugs of Mobil 1 0W-30 since it was cheap after rebate.

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
This is the first of it to me. How did you come by this?

I first heard of this in a thread on mazdaspeedforums.org. Two guys are claiming that their dealers learned of the change through the Mazda tech line. I'm looking for some independent and credible verification.

I have emailed Mazda customer service and asked the question on Mazda's engine oil recommendation. Seems there are SO many rumors around and unfortunately some are started by our "self appointed experts" at the dealerships. I go to Mazda to find out the real answer. I did check the factory owners manual for european CX7 oil recomendations and it was the same as in the US. Ed

0w40 or 5w40 would be a good upgrade for warmer climates.

Check out all the Mazda UOAs. Don't think the non-turbo 20wt or turbo 30wt recommendations are too good.

The following was posted at http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org:

SMOKE FROM TAIL PIPES AFTER PROLONGED IDLE PERIODS

Applicable Models

Model Starting S/N Ending S/N Model Spec CX7 2007-2008 000001 209008 P/D BEFORE 2/15/2008 MAZDA6 2006-2007 000001 999999 ALL MAZDASPEED6 MAZDA3 2007-2008 000001 880368 P/D BEFORE 2/6/2008 Related Category/Subcategory/Symptoms

ENGINE / MECHANICAL / WHITE SMOKE,BLUE SMOKE
ENGINE / EMISSIONS SYSTEM / EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION
ENGINE / EMISSIONS SYSTEM / WHITE SMOKE,BLUE SMOKE
ENGINE / EMISSIONS SYSTEM / BLACK SMOKE
ENGINE / MECHANICAL / EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION

MTOL - 5505 Dealer Repair Information

Symptom and Conditions

Applicable Model(s) VINS

CX-7 JM3ER ****8* 209008 Produced before 2/15/08
MAZDASPEED6 ALL ALL
MAZDASPEED3 JM1BK ****8* 880368 Produced before 2/6/08

Some customers may experience white/blue smoke from their exhaust pipes after prolonged idle periods and/or while driving in traffic at very slow speeds.

This condition may be the result of the turbo's oil supply not being able to adequately drain out of the turbo during long idle periods.

Vehicles having this concern should be diagnosed using the following diagnostics procedure.

Repair Procedure

1. Confirm that the proper maintenance intervals have been performed.

2. With the engine at normal operating temperature, allow it to idle for an extended idle period.

Caution:
Closely monitor the engine coolant to the assure the engine does not Overheat.

3. If smoke from the exhaust is present after the extended idle period, take before pictures of the smoke, then change the oil and filter using 5W/40 (synthetic). After the oil change, in order to burn off the oil that remains in the exhaust system, perform the following:
start the engine, check for oil leaks, then let it idle for 10
minutes, after the 10 minute idle period, increase the RPMs to 3000 for 1 minute, repeat idle test to confirm that no smoke returns.

A: If the smoke returns, contact the Technical Assistance Hotline
(Select option #2 for Major Assembly Authorization) with the oil
change history information, to attain an authorization for a turbo replacement.

B: If smoke DOES NOT RETURN after the repeat idle test, NO other repairs are to be performed at this time. Explain to the customer that MAZDA is currently working on an improved positive crankcase valve (PCV) system to reduce the engine crankcase pressures to allow the turbo's oil supply to drain from the turbocharger more efficiently This fix will be available approximately within 90 days and at that time the oil will be changed back to 5W-30 and the improved PCV system will be
installed.

Mazda has already replaced a smoking turbo on my MS3, and it appears that they don't want to have to do it again...

So use a Oil Catch Can inline with the PCV valve and the problem will go away.

There is still no TSB number behind this.I work for a Ford/Mazda dealer and have asked the guys on the other forums for the TSB number and they have yet to provide it.

Originally Posted By: djquik1

There is still no TSB number behind this.I work for a Ford/Mazda dealer and have asked the guys on the other forums for the TSB number and they have yet to provide it.

Too bad Mazda didn't discover this problem earlier. Couple this with a LF strut that died shortly before the turbo(costing me a week of instructing at Watkins Glen
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
), and the chances of me ever buying another Mazda are less than zero...

That test is for determining if the turbo is bad and uses a 40wt oil for the test only. Mazda is not recomending we use a 40 wt for everyday driving. I am still waiting for an answer fraom Mazda to see if Mazda indead is recomending a 40 wt insted of the 30 wt oil.

Originally Posted By: djquik1

Uh, no...

The point is that the crankcase is holding too much pressure to allow the oil to drain back into the crankcase from the turbo. This is causing the oil to seep past the seals inside the turbo. It's not that there is oil mist making its way into the intake via the PCV system. A catch can will do nothing for this problem.

Cheers

Originally Posted By: Eddie
That test is for determining if the turbo is bad and uses a 40wt oil for the test only. Mazda is not recomending we use a 40 wt for everyday driving. I am still waiting for an answer fraom Mazda to see if Mazda indead is recomending a 40 wt insted of the 30 wt oil.

The 40-weight is a band-aid to try to minimize the seepage, until they can solve the poor crankcase ventilation. The 5W-40 will stay in the engine until they resolve the problem.

I received a response from the Mazda technical dept. THE RECOMMENDED OIL FOR THE CX7 REMAINS THE SAME AS SUPPLIED IN YOUR OWNERS MANUAL 5W30.Seems there are self appointed experts who, without data or any facts, want to advise people to deviate from the factory recomendation.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I received a response from the Mazda technical dept. THE RECOMMENDED OIL FOR THE CX7 REMAINS THE SAME AS SUPPLIED IN YOUR OWNERS MANUAL 5W30.Seems there are self appointed experts who, without data or any facts, want to advise people to deviate from the factory recomendation.

You mean like the "self appointed experts" at Mazda who issued this...

SMOKE FROM TAIL PIPES AFTER PROLONGED IDLE PERIODS

Applicable Models

Model Starting S/N Ending S/N Model Spec CX7 2007-2008 000001 209008 P/D BEFORE 2/15/2008 MAZDA6 2006-2007 000001 999999 ALL MAZDASPEED6 MAZDA3 2007-2008 000001 880368 P/D BEFORE 2/6/2008 Related Category/Subcategory/Symptoms

ENGINE / MECHANICAL / WHITE SMOKE,BLUE SMOKE
ENGINE / EMISSIONS SYSTEM / EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION
ENGINE / EMISSIONS SYSTEM / WHITE SMOKE,BLUE SMOKE
ENGINE / EMISSIONS SYSTEM / BLACK SMOKE
ENGINE / MECHANICAL / EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION

MTOL - 5505 Dealer Repair Information and Conditions

Applicable Model(s) VINS

CX-7 JM3ER ****8* 209008 Produced before 2/15/08
MAZDASPEED6 ALL ALL
MAZDASPEED3 JM1BK ****8* 880368 Produced before 2/6/08

Some customers may experience white/blue smoke from their exhaust pipes after prolonged idle periods and/or while driving in traffic at very slow speeds.

This condition may be the result of the turbo's oil supply not being able to adequately drain out of the turbo during long idle periods.

Vehicles having this concern should be diagnosed using the following diagnostics procedure.

Repair Procedure

1. Confirm that the proper maintenance intervals have been performed.

2. With the engine at normal operating temperature, allow it to idle for an extended idle period.

Caution:
Closely monitor the engine coolant to the assure the engine does not Overheat.

3. If smoke from the exhaust is present after the extended idle period, take before pictures of the smoke, then change the oil and filter using 5W/40 (synthetic). After the oil change, in order to burn off the oil that remains in the exhaust system, perform the following:
start the engine, check for oil leaks, then let it idle for 10
minutes, after the 10 minute idle period, increase the RPMs to 3000 for 1 minute, repeat idle test to confirm that no smoke returns.

A: If the smoke returns, contact the Technical Assistance Hotline
(Select option #2 for Major Assembly Authorization) with the oil
change history information, to attain an authorization for a turbo replacement.

B: If smoke DOES NOT RETURN after the repeat idle test, NO other repairs are to be performed at this time. Explain to the customer that MAZDA is currently working on an improved positive crankcase valve (PCV) system to reduce the engine crankcase pressures to allow the turbo's oil supply to drain from the turbocharger more efficiently. This fix will be available approximately within 90 days and at that time the oil will be changed back to 5W-30 and the improved PCV system will be
installed.

grin2.gif

Mazda isn't going to spill the beans on an ongoing technical problem to someone they believe to be "Joe Consumer". Fact...

You'll also note that Mazda, in their very own technical bulletin, states that they believe the issues to be precisely what I said they were.

To quote, "This condition may be the result of the turbo's oil supply not being able to adequately drain out of the turbo during long idle periods. Explain to the customer that MAZDA is currently working on an improved positive crankcase valve (PCV) system to reduce the engine crankcase pressures to allow the turbo's oil supply to drain from the turbocharger more efficiently."

If Mazda doesn't know their own vehicles, just who would?

BTW, "Turbo 101" is that the oil return line flow should be unrestricted. Otherwise, the resulting pressurization of the core causes oil to seep past the seals. When the crankcase is itself pressurizing, you get the same result. This isn't rocket science, people who don't understand it just make it seem that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back