New M1 Formulation and Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
More like 1-2 mpg better mileage.
It depends on the application, either way I'll gladly take a 1-2 mpg hit and use Xw-30 over an Xw-20 in both of my Jeeps.
27.gif

Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing isn't it! How long til you guys team up and try to get me banned again? I'll wait...

Kinda reminds me of todays social media and suppression of the truth by a certain party... :unsure:

M1 has never produced any more engine noise than any other brand I've used.

Engine noise is not exclusive to brand.

If only you had any sort of technical reasoning it would be different. But all you post is hateful nonsense, maybe the reason you have been banned is for this reason, not a personal vendetta by anyone.
Engine builder for 25+ years, including $60,000 BMW race engines, Karting engines, Drag racing engines including 900hp Hondas and 1000hp SBF's are my technical reasoning, I know when an engine is making excessive noise, something is wrong! I don't need internet trolls or wannabe mechanics/Tribologists like you telling me I don't know what I'm doing. There is a reason almost NO race team uses standard M1 oils anymore...

Freedom of speech is great that's why I think you're full of ****.

M1 has never produced any more engine noise than any other brand I've used.

Engine noise is not exclusive to brand.

I can’t remember if we ever had anyone use a decibel meter to show this phenomenon.

I can’t remember if we ever had anyone use a decibel meter to show this phenomenon.
This would certainly be a valid test and I would absolutely bet money it would show results and proof to my findings. I'll see if I can find a good decibel meter to borrow, but then again, the M1 fanboys on here still wouldn't accept it and call my results "flawed" for some reason... ;)

This would certainly be a valid test and I would absolutely bet money it would show results and proof to my findings. I'll see if I can find a good decibel meter to borrow, but then again, the M1 fanboys on here still wouldn't accept it and call my results "flawed" for some reason... ;)
It is extremely difficult (and very expensive) to make accurate and repeatable sound pressure measurements. Even with all your superior racing experience you cannot do it.

Deleted post
If it happens every single time, I think a cool test for you to try would be to get a certified dB meter and a GoPro, have your engine ready for an oil change with whatever oil you normally run, and get ready to collect some hard-to-dispute data.

1. Fire up the GoPro.
2. Set the dB meter to A-weighted average and place it exactly 1’ above the valve cover, then start your car (from cold). Let it run for 5 minutes while getting the readout on video. If you really want to be super thorough, repeat the 5-minute test at least 3 times both before and after the oil change.
3. Stop the car, perform the oil change (leave same filter in place) to Mobil 1 with the video running and without moving the dB meter.
4. Once the oil change is completed, reset the dB meter to clear the average of oil “A”. Start the car (cold again after the oil change), and let it run for 5 minutes while getting the readout on video.
5. Compare the before and after results of the two tests; if the deviation between the two measurements is less than the accuracy of your dB meter, the noise level is identical.
6. Upload the complete unedited video to YouTube to silence your critics! 😂

This test may confirm your audible findings; however one thing to remember is that simply the frequency of the noise from your engine may be different with different oils, but not the amplitude- no one’s ear perceives sounds objectively, and is coloring the assessment, no matter who hears it. The dB meter is calibrated to evaluate all noises equally, and would give you a very good case to state both here and to Mobil if your test shows there is a difference.

Plus, if you went to this level of scientific experiment, not only would you know you weren’t “hearing things” but would also satisfy even the data hawks here that your claims were valid. Just sayin. 👍🏻

Last edited by a moderator:
It is extremely difficult (and very expensive) to make accurate and repeatable sound pressure measurements. Even with all your superior racing experience you cannot do it.
I agree, but for the purposes of this level of testing, the scientific rigor I laid out would (at least in my mind) satisfy most of us bench racers on the board. 👍🏻

Deleted post
Won
If it happens every single time, I think a cool test for you to try would be to get a certified dB meter and a GoPro, have your engine ready for an oil change with whatever oil you normally run, and get ready to collect some hard-to-dispute data.

1. Fire up the GoPro.
2. Set the dB meter to A-weighted average and place it exactly 1’ above the valve cover, then start your car (from cold). Let it run for 5 minutes while getting the readout on video. If you really want to be super thorough, repeat the 5-minute test at least 3 times both before and after the oil change.
3. Stop the car, perform the oil change (leave same filter in place) to Mobil 1 with the video running and without moving the dB meter.
4. Once the oil change is completed, reset the dB meter to clear the average of oil “A”. Start the car (cold again after the oil change), and let it run for 5 minutes while getting the readout on video.
5. Compare the before and after results of the two tests; if the deviation between the two measurements is less than the accuracy of your dB meter, the noise level is identical.
6. Upload the complete unedited video to YouTube to silence your critics! 😂

This test may confirm your audible findings; however one thing to remember is that simply the frequency of the noise from your engine may be different with different oils, but not the amplitude- no one’s ear perceives sounds objectively, and is coloring the assessment, no matter who hears it. The dB meter is calibrated to evaluate all noises equally, and would give you a very good case to state both here and to Mobil if your test shows there is a difference.

Plus, if you went to this level of scientific experiment, not only would you know you weren’t “hearing things” but would also satisfy even the data hawks here that your claims were valid. Just sayin. 👍🏻
i did one with a Db meter - PUP louder than M1

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, but for the purposes of this level of testing, the scientific rigor I laid out would (at least in my mind) satisfy most of us bench racers on the board. 👍🏻
Think about how long this claim has existed - dozens of formulas - not that much different from other brands.
Think how many base stocks XOM supplies to others - Or, hey … CoV an additive company with Shell …

This is ridiculous …

I've not ever been able to tell the difference between changing viscosities, sometimes from 0w20's to 15w40's. Like heck will I be able to tell the difference if my new oil has a slightly different add pack.

I've had rackety engines with M1 5W30 way back in the 90's
In fact I've only had one engine "tolerate" M1 where I would continue to use it: A 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 1.5L 5MT

Mobil did - and likely does - have some good products: The original 4T superbike oil was stellar. 0W40 FS worked well in getting the viscosity "right" on my Jetta lease. The true synthetic 0W20 EP worked well making good power in a Subaru FB 2 litre with just a bit more noise - but nothing overly concerning.

I will say the noisiest oil in my sphere has been Castrol Syntec, so much so I dumped it within a week of installing it.
Then I tried it again 20 years later Black bottle Edge - and again had to dump it. But that was in a problematic D. I. engine. The followup oil had NO untoward noise or performance issues and exhibited improved fuel mileage.

Anecdotal evidence all, but enough to steer me away from certain products for bit.

I don't believe a different motor oil of the same viscosity can make an engine RUN smoother, but I can tell you my experience with M1 5W-30 in my 2017 GMC Canyon 3.6. I used M1 for the 1st 50,000 miles and always had a cold start up rattle for a second or two that sounded like it was the cam phasers. I switched to Magnatec 5W-30 and the start up rattle disappeared. I was disappointed when Castrol discontinued Magnatec so I tried Havoline Pro DS (6 qt box) and the rattle did not return. So in my case I attributed the start up rattle to M1, but as for smoother, quiter running, no difference.

Well, folks, that went ugly. With name calling, chest-thumping, and specious claims. After several moderated posts, it’s lock time.

Calling people names really doesn’t make a technical point. Folks who cannot follow reasonable rules on bickering, name calling, politics (yes, politics) will no longer be welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back