Pennzoil Plat---both engines are noisier

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDD

OK--I am a recovering Pennzoil hater who discovered bitog a few years ago. But to show myself I could be reasonable, and being a big Shell Rotella fan and with SOPUS now including Pennzoil, I have run the past two OC's with PP 5-20 and 5-30 respectively for a 2010 Mazda 3 2.0 and a 2005 Toyota Sienna with the 3.3 V6. I have owned both since new and have done all the maintenance myself. Both engines are noticably noisier with the PP, primarily valve train noise. My wife even commented on it. I have run Valv Synpower in the Sienna prior to this point and Motorcraft 5-20 syn blend in the Mazda and factory filters in both. approx 4000 mi OC intervals. Anecdotal for sure, but I will go back to Valvoline products for these two.

I had the exact opposite experience with my 2004 MGM. It had less valve train noise at least for the first 4K - 5K miles.
I really think it's a "different strokes for different folks" or in this case engines. Some engines seem to "like" one oil better than another. When you find an oil your engine seems to "like" stick with it.
You do get two points for at least trying Pennzoil Plat. :)

Last edited:
Interesting, I had the opposite happen in a '05 Corolla. Very quiet on PP, kind of noisy on Synpower. Strange how that works.

I've used PP in at least 5 cars, all are very quiet. But, I'd go back to Valvoline if it makes you feel better.

Despite how much credit we put in our senses, the way sound is transmitted/muffled by oil doesn't tell how well it is working.

try the pennzoil ultra... in the beginning i did not want to buy it because it was $28.00 now it is $25.00 at wal mart
i did try it in a 2004 mercury grand marquis (Moms car) and it really made a differance.

Originally Posted By: cryption
I prefer the Valvoline myself

+2. PP is a great oil, but nothing wrong with Synpower or the MC you were running before. Use them with confidence and sleep well.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Despite how much credit we put in our senses, the way sound is transmitted/muffled by oil doesn't tell how well it is working.

Mobil 1 0w40.
Amsoil * Mobil 1 * Redline * Royal Purple * Castrol * Shell

They all work well.

I have found that the only oil so far that i have noticed really makes any difference in my gm 4.3s and 5.7s, excluding HDEO, is Mobil1 regular 5w30 and AFE oils. Seems like all the different dinos, PP and QSHP all sound about the same and feel smoother. Its kinda funny how i noticed it. A year or so back my blazer got an intake manifold gasket leak so afterwards, i bought some ST 10w30 and some HDEO to do a few short flushes. At 175k miles this 4.3 has run nothing but M1 5w30 and 10w30. After replacing the gasket and filling it up with the ST I immediately noticed that the engine sounded quieter and smoother. I ran this a very short time and dumped the HDEO in and ran it for aother short change and decided to use the QS torque power that i got on clearance with the intention of going back to M1 after that. After driving it for a good while, I really just cant believe how much smoother and quieter it feels. Its running QSHP 5w20 now and really like it. I have also noticed that oil consumption has went from about .5qt per 4K to about .5qt in about 8K. Just my experience.

I found PP to be quieter than M1 and Amsoil ASM in my 08 Jeep. It was quieter than M1 5W30 in my E-150. I'm currently using Edge and am very pleased with it in 0W20 and 5W30. I'm hoping to see Edge in a 0w30, but I won't be holding my breath.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I got rid of my second wife because she was to noisy.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BobFout

crackmeup2.gif

+1. LMAO

Originally Posted By: MrMeeks
Platinum has the european long drain acea A5 spec.. Ultra does not .So what is so great about Ultra?

Actually it does meet it they just don't advertise it. Here is there answer from the Q&A
Quote:
Question 17:
Why is Platinum 5w-30 certified for ACEA A5 / 4718M / HTO-06 but Ultra 5w-30 only certified for 4718M and HTO-06, but not ACEA A5? This makes the Ultra 5w-30 weaker on paper than Platinum 5w-30 in terms of certification.

Answer 17:
ACEA no longer allows the splitting of gasoline (A specifications) and light duty diesel (B specifications), as the diesel side of the specification will not allow US type FE (GF-5) performance, the ACEA specifications will be dropped off all ILSAC GF-5 products in the future.

Rest assured that Pennzoil Ultra™ outperforms Pennzoil Platinum®. The reason for the “paper” specification difference is based on a decision to focus our ILSAC grades more directly on the needs of engines calling for ILSAC performance and addressing the Euro performance with versions of Ultra specifically targeted for European imports. Thus our Euro oils not only exceed the ACEA A/B specifications, but they also address specific needs for VW, MB, BMW, Ferrari, Porsche and Maserati.

Thanks for sharing your experience. You gotta call your own shot,based on Your experience;and no one else's.

Love IT!!!! LOL...I needed the laugh on this gloominy Sunday before another long MOnday of work..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back