New Little Scattergun - Kel-Tec KSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are going to laugh, but I had my Remington 1100 die on me while hunting in South Dakota one year and I had to hunt with a Winchester 97 riot gun. Got my limit so fast it was scary. Defense guns can make darn good field guns in a pinch. I just had to really point shoot because with a wide open bore, the gun did not have the range or time to aim.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
You are going to laugh, but I had my Remington 1100 die on me while hunting in South Dakota one year and I had to hunt with a Winchester 97 riot gun. Got my limit so fast it was scary. Defense guns can make darn good field guns in a pinch. I just had to really point shoot because with a wide open bore, the gun did not have the range or time to aim.

What do you mean it died on you?

Well, I've thrown some accessories at the KSG:

- Magpul Back-Up Iron Sights (pop-up)

- Hi-Tech Defender steel muzzle brake

- Hi-Tech mini side rail (for mounting light)

- Hi-Tech extended magazine selector lever

- Kel-Tec hand stop (mounts on front of pump to prevent your hand slipping off and getting in front of muzzle)

Also bought a Limb-Saver slip-on recoil pad (small size) at Wal-Mart, but it doesn't stay on very well. It tends to slip off to the side of the butt of the stock, not wanting to stay centered. Anyway, recoil is really only harsh with slugs or buckshot. I may try the Decelerator. I hear it's a little firmer, and it may stay on better.

The only issue I've noticed with the KSG is the following - When I load one of the magazines to capacity with Winchester 2-3/4" slugs, I'm not able to switch the mag selector lever over to the other tube, because the Winchester slugs are a tad bit longer than other shells I've tried. Obviously this defeats one of the KSG's main features - the ability to load slugs in one mag and another type of shells in the other mag and choosing what type of ammunition to chamber based on the situation. Well, of course I can still do that, but only if I under-load the tube with only 6 slugs instead of the advertised capacity of 7. I haven't noticed this issue with other ammo.

I plan on going over to the range here in a little bit to blast with the KSG a little more, and to try out the new muzzle brake and extended mag selector lever. I'm going to test the gun back to back, with and without the muzzle brake, to see if I notice any recoil reduction with the brake. Should be interesting. I'll report back.

One aside about the barrel thread protector nut - it's notoriously hard to remove, even with the barrel nut remover socket (which I bought). But I read where some people are using impact guns to break the nut loose. I was a bit apprehensive about doing that, but the special socket I bought from Hi-Tech seemed to have good purchase on the nut, so I tried it and it worked like a charm. 2 seconds and it was broken loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back