Liqui-Moly just released a 75w90 GL4 for manual transmissions

Liqui-Moly Top Tec MTF 5400 75w90

The product was just released last week, and distributors are in the process of ordering it from Germany, so it should be available for purchase by the end of the year.

The part number is 22275

This is HUGE news since 75w90 GL4 that is suitable for a manual transmission is almost extinct. For example, Pennzoil and Valvoline recently discontinued theirs. And L-M is actually sold in stores. Napa can get basically anything L-M, so they should carry this once it becomes available.

It lists Ford M2C200-C

22275_Top_Tec_MTF_5400_75W_90_1l_209f.png

Here is a list of comparable 75W90 MTFs that I have previously posted :
Amsoil MTG
Redline MT-90
Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90
Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75w-90
Ford XT-75W90-QGT (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)
Ford MOTORCRAFT® Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid XT-M5-QS
ACDelco 10-4059 GL-4 75W-90 Manual Transmission Fluid
RAVENOL TSG SAE 75W-90
LIQUIMOLY 75W-90 GL4
PENNZOIL 75W90 GL-4
MOTUL GEAR 300 GL-4/GL-5 (PRODUCT NUMBER 100118)

Last edited:
Here is a list of comparable 75W90 MTFs that I have posted previously:
Amsoil MTG
Redline MT-90
Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90
Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75w-90
Ford XT-75W90-QGT (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)
Ford MOTORCRAFT® Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid XT-M5-QS
ACDelco 10-4059 GL-4 75W-90 Manual Transmission Fluid
RAVENOL TSG SAE 75W-90
LIQUIMOLY 75W-90 GL4
PENNZOIL 75W90 GL-4
MOTUL GEAR 300 GL-4/GL-5 (PRODUCT NUMBER 100118)
Some of those are impossible to find in stock anywhere. I finally found the Motul Gear at Walmart but it went out of stock again as soon as I bought it. Only the Amsoil and Redline, and maybe the Liquimoly seem to be consistently available, although I have never tried to find the Ford fluids.

Some of those are impossible to find in stock anywhere. I finally found the Motul Gear at Walmart but it went out of stock again as soon as I bought it. Only the Amsoil and Redline, and maybe the Liquimoly seem to be consistently available, although I have never tried to find the Ford fluids.

Yes, many of them have been discontinued or otherwise not available in the US :sneaky:

That's why my thread on this new L-M stuff is important and why it's so special.

Yes, many of them have been discontinued or otherwise not available in the US :sneaky:

That's why my thread on this new L-M stuff is important and why it's so special.
@Elkins45 Some of those are impossible to find in stock anywhere. I finally found the Motul Gear at Walmart but it went out of stock again as soon as I bought it. Only the Amsoil and Redline, and maybe the Liquimoly seem to be consistently available, although I have never tried to find the Ford fluids.

My post was to primarily inform people of the presence of these comparable products in the same viscosity range and with a similar additive signature.

Cost and availability of those listed MTFs is a product of marketing and distribution; not my interest nor my responsibility.

Last edited:
Redline MT90 is readily available from many online retailers...I have 2 bottles on my workbench that came in a few days from FCP Euro. You can order from Amazon and it's here the next day.

Are you opposed to buying online or something?

is there anything wrong with the sta lube 85w-90 gl4?
I have used it in my old tiller gear box but my tiller gear box didn't have to do any shifting.

"GL-4 Hypoid Gear Oil has low pour points and high temp properties to provide lubrication over a wide temperature range. This versatile lubricant contains anti-rust and anti-wear EP additives to provide the corrosion protection in drives and hypoid gears. It is not corrosive to copper, bronze, or other non-ferrous alloy bearings and bushings."

An MT needs a special friction modifier for shifting and an Anti-wear (not an EP chemistry) component which this product doesn't not have.

Last edited:
So what is the difference between GL4 and GL5?
Answers found here:

this stuff right here is excellent

Ford MOTORCRAFT® Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid XT-M5-QS (UNICORN TEARS)

Yes, but it's expensive :sneaky:

The L-M fluid will likely cost less when it goes on sale.

Recently replaced the redline MT-90 with Ultra1plus 75w90 gl4 in my NC3 Miata, shifting is very smooth, still within first 1000 miles.

Welcome to BITOG 🥳

Glad you're having good luck with the U1P. I had a VOA done on it and wasn't impressed :cautious:

Back