new license plates. why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's because our govenors make our plates. How much work can you actually get out of a politician?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
We don't have that problem in Illinois. We'll run the same plates for 10 years (or more).

Not really sure how often MS changes plates.....

But I have all the old plates fastened to the wall in my shed. I even have one the 70s from when I lived in TN that has the outline of the state molded into it.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
In Texas, I believe, it's every seven years that you are required to get new plates.

Yes; it is. Both of my Hyundais turned 7 a while back and both had to have new plates. One of them transformed into a new Explorer, so it will be 3 more before I have to have go to the courthouse and pick up a new set for the FX4.

I wouldn't really care if they wanted me to get new plates. Memorizing the new number would be the most annoying part. As far as the old ones, it depends on the state. In new York you have to return the old parts as soon as you cancel the insurance policy when you move to another state, or the dmv will charge you $8/day or more until you do.

in kansas on some vintage cars you can run a plate from the year of the car. car guys think it is cool. not sure of cost diff. may be that stack of old plates my dad started in early 50s will be worth something.

Originally Posted By: old1
We change them here in Ne. I think every 5 years. We keep getting new ones to give the guys in the state prison some work.
And they get worse every time they come out with a new plate

Originally Posted By: Nick R
As far as the old ones, it depends on the state. In new York you have to return the old parts as soon as you cancel the insurance policy when you move to another state, or the dmv will charge you $8/day or more until you do.

How are they going to punish you if you don't live in their empire any more?
27.gif

When I lived in Mass they were pretty tight about plates; I mailed mine to my insurance company with a letter requesting cancellation and they handled the rest.

We got new plates in 1999 and the number/letter combos increment in an orderly fashion. I like reusing my older plates so it looks like I've been here a while.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
As far as the old ones, it depends on the state. In new York you have to return the old parts as soon as you cancel the insurance policy when you move to another state, or the dmv will charge you $8/day or more until you do.

27.gif

When I lived in Mass they were pretty tight about plates; I mailed mine to my insurance company with a letter requesting cancellation and they handled the rest.

We got new plates in 1999 and the number/letter combos increment in an orderly fashion. I like reusing my older plates so it looks like I've been here a while.

They will suspend your license and I'd you go back to new York and get pulled over, they can impound you're vehicle and arrest you because you owe the dmv thousands of dollars

I tend to keep transferring my old tags. Prefer the gold style from years ago as opposed to the new stupid "envelope" design. [censored], even the previous farmville design was better than this new one.

North Carolina has kept the same basic design "First in Flight" license plate since 1982. I don't think any other state besides Delaware has an older design (I think theirs goes back to 1969). NC has tons of special plates, but the good old First in Flight just keeps going and going, etc. There are still some original very faded plates around from back in '82. They started replacing the oldie goldies a few years ago, but haven't gotten around to everyone. They did change the lettering to red for a few years back in 2007, but law enforcement couldn't read them as well and went back to blue lettering in 2010.

150px-North_Carolina_1999_DXT-4752.jpg

mkOME1ZkETXxRB4-OgAMJyQ.jpg

Apparently the folks in Raleigh don't like change.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
We don't have that problem in Illinois. We'll run the same plates for 10 years (or more).

same here, there is still people that only run a rear plate because that's all that was issued when they got them way back when.

Originally Posted By: old1
We change them here in Ne. I think every 5 years. We keep getting new ones to give the guys in the state prison some work.
We must keep the prisoners busy or they'll go off and kill someone. Too bad our government can't find and create more jobs for the law-abiding citizens.

27.gif

They will suspend your license and I'd you go back to new York and get pulled over, they can impound you're vehicle and arrest you because you owe the dmv thousands of dollars

I don't doubt that you think that, I just wonder how it works in these United States. When you aren't a New York resident AND ALSO aren't inside their borders, how are they going to get you?
36.gif

If you move to a neighboring state and "flip" your license and registration to the new states', they might or might not take your old license and plates. How is NY going to know?

Again, I could see doing it willingly, to return an insurance deposit. Or doing it as a good citizen, so NY knows what's going on.

My dad's current plates are from 2002. They have Been on 4 different cars.he'll replace them when the state says he has to. Mom got new plates when she bought her 99 Taurus in the fall of 98. Finally replaced them when she replaced the car in Feb 2012.
In the 4 years I owned my neon, I had 3 sets of plates. The circa 2001 plates I transferred over from my previous car, then the front one got too rusty, I didn't like the current gen plates, so I got logo plates that obscured most of the design. Got the logo with the cheapest premium I could find, that I could support ($15/yr organ donation). Then they changed the standard plate again, and it wasn't as *****, so I saved $15, and got new plates again. Then 6 mos later I bought a different car, but couldn't transfer those over, b/c the buyer of my old car( buddies mom) wouldn't be back in town for about 2 months.( had recently started a 4 yr assignment in a rural Alaska clinic) And cops don't like cars sitting with no plates on them...

In our family, your old plates go up on the garage wall. My brother has every plate he's had since he got his first car up in his garage. I don't have a garage, so mine hang in the basement.

Other than the plates from my first car (TJ-209, old blue-on-white Rhode Island) hanging in the garage, I returned all my old plates to the DMV.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Other than the plates from my first car (TJ-209, old blue-on-white Rhode Island) hanging in the garage, I returned all my old plates to the DMV.

Here the state doesn't want them back.

Here's My Small Collection:
IMG_20140725_201835129.jpg

27.gif

I don't doubt that you think that, I just wonder how it works in these United States. When you aren't a New York resident AND ALSO aren't inside their borders, how are they going to get you?
36.gif

If you move to a neighboring state and "flip" your license and registration to the new states', they might or might not take your old license and plates. How is NY going to know?

Again, I could see doing it willingly, to return an insurance deposit. Or doing it as a good citizen, so NY knows what's going on.

You MUST return your plates to the DMV, no matter the reason you don't need them anymore. Every day the insurance policy or registration is invalid and they don't have the plates it's as I said, $8/day in fines. My mom used to work for State Farm in NY, so I'm pretty familiar with this stuff by now. There afaik is no statute of limiations. If you don't return them for 10 years, you will have been accruing fees for those 10 years.

Last edited:
Solution: "I turned them in to the DMV in (insert state here)." Or just, "I traded in the car & forgot to get them...the guy at the dealer thinks he just tossed them."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back