new license plates. why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to renew license plates and they gave me new ones instead. They change plate designs every couple of years, and this time there was a choice 2 designs (free ones in addition to many custom ones).

Why do they do it and what do you do with old plates besides throwing them away?

Stack them in a pile in my shed.
I once repaired my sister's 2 year old severely rusted out 1974 Vega with old license plates, rivets and bondo.

P.S.: They do it because they can.

Hmm. riveting them to my old car to add some more armor protection? I didn't think of that. However, according Myth-busters, phone books inside doors are bulletproof, LOL.

In Texas, I believe, it's every seven years that you are required to get new plates. They don't charge any extra beyond the normal registration fee. They just send them to you with your sticker when the time arrives. The state says that the reflective qualities of the paint deteriorate. At a certain point it is too difficult for law enforcement to make out a plate at night.

On another note, MANY people here run without front plates even though they are required. Police rarely pull anyone over for just that so it's like a scofflaw's dream.

This thread is full of win...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
We don't have that problem in Illinois. We'll run the same plates for 10 years (or more).

thumbsup2.gif
End up having to repaint the letters and numbers before we get new ones!

It's so the CAMERAS can read them better.
Cameras for stop-lights; cams for toll-lanes; and especially the squad-cars that can now scan plates every-where within visual distance- welcome to GO1984.

MD made a change in 2012 to 200yr Anniversary of the War of 1812 and made all newly registered vehicles get that plate. I really don't like them, they are obviously cheap compared to the previous plate. Other than that, I don't think there are any rules about switching plates every so many years. Pretty sure my parents have had the same plate since we moved to MD in 1998. My Neon has had the same plates since 2004.

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000
It's so the CAMERAS can read them better.
Cameras for stop-lights; cams for toll-lanes; and especially the squad-cars that can now scan plates every-where within visual distance- welcome to GO1984.

I agree with you 100%. Gotta ensure that cash flow from the red light cameras!

Flat? New reflective coating?

Yeah, give me an old, stamped, prison-made plate from the old days.

They want these new ones for different reflection and photographic characteristics to better serve speed and traffic controls.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Flat? New reflective coating?

Yeah, give me an old, stamped, prison-made plate from the old days.

They want these new ones for different reflection and photographic characteristics to better serve speed and traffic controls.

If anything, I would think the old stamped ones are better. A lot of states still have metal stamped ones.

Texas changed plate types a number of years ago. They are no longer stamped and have more digits. They made them with pretty backgrounds. I always thought the artwork made them hard to read. Apparently, the cops did, too, and complained to the state. Now they are old-style black text on plain white background. Of course, you can buy any number of "custom" plates from a web site. Personally, I like to keep my car as hard to remember as possible.

I've had the same plates for at least 16 years. No requirement here for new ones unless they are too faded (or rusted).

New registration sticker is required every one or two years, tho...

I've had the same plates for ~6 years on two different cars. NY doesn't make a person change plates as long as the car is registered and insured continuously.

Texas began the plate replacement requirement in the 80's. The age of your current plates is actually noted on your registration form. I drove my Accord for 23 years and was on the fourth set of plates when I had my accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back