Is there such a thing as a decent quality license plate bolt?

Most of the cars I've owned have only two bolts at the top, leaving the bottom of the plate to vibrate against the car. I know it's kinda janky, but I applied a plate-wide strip of 3M double-sided foam tape across the bottom of the plate, tightened the top bolts, and pressed the bottom of the plate against the car. Use a thin black metal frame, and the neat & tidy black plastic caps on the top bolts, and done. No rattle / vibrate, no exposed bolt heads.

I like when you buy a $30K car and the dealer installs cheap licence plate bolts that rust in a week.

I had a Passat I had sold and when taking off the plates with new owner watching both of the screws snapped.

Last edited:
I like when you buy a $30K and the dealer installs cheap licence plate bolts that rust in a week.

I had a Passat I had sold and when taking off the plates with new owner watching both of the screws snapped.
Paid $53k for my Jeep and it did not even have the front bracket at all …
AutoZone and my 18v drill to the rescue …

I have always used plated 1/4" x 20 machine screws that I keep on the truck , purchased at the supply house . No problems . But I do not live in the rust / salt belt . Thank God ! :)

Paid $53k for my Jeep and it did not even have the front bracket at all …
AutoZone and my 18v drill to the rescue …
Love it when the front license plate bracket/mount is an "option" or an "accessory" And hideous to boot!

Grade 8 bolts from Home Depot. Don't forget the anti-seize and torque appropriately.

i believe the issue is two fold, first secure the plate to the car correctly, and ensure that your method prevent theft !

If you get socket head cap screws, put a little (color matching) RTV in the hole. You can pick it out when the time comes, it might weather-proof things a little, and it makes a little bit of a puzzle for thieves.

The stainless bolts the dealer used on my car still look new 6 years later.

If the interior end of the bolt is accessible, tightening a nut (or 2) on that end will make the bolt difficult remove from the outside.

Plastic bolts work, but eventually crumble due to sunlight exposure, and are easy for a thief to break off.

What about getting some on eBay? I got these a while back. A 20 pack of M6*12mm stainless steel tamper resistant Torx security screws. Had them on for a year and a half and they still look brand new even though they're only 304 stainless steel. About $6.45 for the set. Tamper resistant so no one causally messes with your plate. Looks like there's 316 out there too, but those are regular screws.

Such plates require the utility of socket head cap screws. They are neither Phillips nor slotted. It has a hexagonal head. License plates can be tightened easily by using it properly. To purchase them. Always consider Albany county fasteners, as they are best in maintaining their quality.

Back