New KY License Plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

If it weren't for the goofy looking sun, it'd be a great looking license plate. The fonts used are good and readable from a distance, and I love the contrasting colors, sunset against the blue sky and green grass. Do away with the "it's that friendly" slogan, perhaps put Kentucky at the top and a larger "The Bluegrass State" underneath, then replace the awful sun with a horse barn or something reasonably Kentucky-ish and you have one of the country's best looking license plates, in my opinion.

If it weren't for the goofy looking sun, it'd be a great looking license plate. The fonts used are good and readable from a distance, and I love the contrasting colors, sunset against the blue sky and green grass. Do away with the "it's that friendly" slogan, perhaps put Kentucky at the top and a larger "The Bluegrass State" underneath, then replace the awful sun with a horse barn or something reasonably Kentucky-ish and you have one of the country's best looking license plates, in my opinion.

Agree-the design has possibilities but smiley ruins it.

A barn or a horse would look great on it. Even My Old Kentucky Home, which was on the State Quarter also, would have looked good even though it may not be as widely known(BTW, back when the state quarter series were a thing, my parents took me down to the Capitol for all of us to vote on the design. It was low-tech-they had 5 different designs shown with a large drawing, then paper ballots and a box to drop them in-I didn't vote for the one that ended up there).

This one was distinctly Kentucky also

images1.jpg

Texas went to the printed plates over five years ago. I have yet to see one that looks bad.

They are awful boring though, just white with black text.
For such a proud state that almost operates as it's own country every time I see a Texas plate in person here in Colorado(and there are a lot) I think come on you can do better.

For such a proud state that almost operates as it's own country every time I see a Texas plate in person here in Colorado(and there are a lot) I think come on you can do better.
I agree with you, that it is boring, but, you also have to remember, that Texas is a lot smarter with money, than many other states.

I agree with you, that it is boring, but, you also have to remember, that Texas is a lot smarter with money, than many other states.
Since the plates are flat and printed on automated machines (like many other states), I doubt it would increase costs substantially; pretty sure most people could suck up the $0.50 or whatever some color and design elements might add. If you think about it, a license plate is good promotion for a state (when viewed in other states obviously) if done right. I enjoy seeing all the different plate designs when traveling, but every time I see a TX plate-- blah, they didn't even make an effort.

TX plates are still better than those ridiculous "Wander" plates Indiana put out in the late 80's. Thank goodness they were replacing plates every 3 years at that point.

1620048534464.jpg

Why did they go back to stamped? NV did the same thing, switched to printed and went back to stamped in 2016. I thought the printed plates were all about cost?

If I remember right alot of the blue/white NY plates started peeling from all of the road brine. Flat plate + peel = a bare piece of metal. Plus even with all of the road grime in the winter at least you could still somewhat make out the contours of the plate number. All of the custom plates in NY are still printed.

I've never hated nor liked KY plates but at least they didn't release them when stimmy checks were dropped like NY did. The first cars I saw with these new white NY plates on were rotted out clunkers. Long story but I absolutely despise the white NY plates that start with a "K". And I swear it's been the longest run ever because the DMV is still issuing K series almost a year later.

Do you not remember the "Smiley Sun" abomination that was like 2005-2007ish? From the time we transitioned over to "design" plates from the old white letter/blue background-blue letter/white background yearly plates, we went a couple cycles having a new one every 6-8 years. The first was the Churchill Downs spires on white, then the blue/green "Kentucky Cloud" plate in 98ish. People hated the Smiley Sun so much that I think Unbridled Spirit was bumped forward and that's why we've had it such a long time.
I covered the Churchill Downs spires with BMW Car Club decals. I took the position that if Churchill Downs wanted to use my car to advertise their business they would have to pay me. I bought the cheapest specialty plate available to avoid the "Smiley Sun" abortion.

Last edited:
I really hate the new flat Kentucky plates, so here's a crazy question. I still have my old Churchill Downs plate hanging in an outbuilding and it's in mint condition. Suppose I were to order a vanity plate with those same numbers, could I then just put the old plate on my car along with a new registration sticker or would that be verboten? I mean I probably wouldn't because of the stupid annual fee on custom plates but I'm curious if it would work.

I really hate the new flat Kentucky plates, so here's a crazy question. I still have my old Churchill Downs plate hanging in an outbuilding and it's in mint condition. Suppose I were to order a vanity plate with those same numbers, could I then just put the old plate on my car along with a new registration sticker or would that be verboten? I mean I probably wouldn't because of the stupid annual fee on custom plates but I'm curious if it would work.
For the most part, you probably could get away with it, but you could always have that one officer that decides that crosses a line and you could get a ticket for it.

Yeah I agree with the above poster. From an officer's plate reader, I suspect the info would come up the same as a modern flat plate.

But that one guy that has a bad day will probably cite some state statute that says it's illegal... but maybe not. A call to the county clerk / sheriff's office should give you the answer you need. I imagine most officers wouldn't care as long as the info they need comes up on the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back