Which US state license plate design has been around the longest?

This reminds me of Seinfeld...way back when, I said I want a plate issued in Manhattan, just as Elaine tried to say 646 was 212 times 3, then they added 1 to the middle number.

So I went to the DMV on 31st or 30th, this was in the early 90's so not positive. The funny thing is would anyone truly notice the pattern 5XX-123 on the standard Liberty plate, as being one issued in Manhattan? lol

I live in PA and have for over 20 years, and it's amazing that we have an early 80's NY alpha-numeric pattern: ABC-1234. I think we have the most boring uninteresting plates (we even had stickers for expiration until I think 2017--and now there is a silhouette of the state in its place), but, to get a "vanity" plate? It's only about $40 more one time, so I got one to support a local organization--that's where ours are more interesting since they have the logo of the said organization.

The numeral colors have changed (from red to black),

View attachment 124476View attachment 124477https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Wisconsin
The red numbers used to fade quickly, so that was probably what prompted the change.

There's a blog I read, that often talks about license plates.... I would post a link, but I don't want to because each and every post eventually turns into a nutcase political rant, so I'd rather not give the guy the clicks.

OP, you may have to qualify what "same plate design" equals. Here are two Alaska standard/ default plates. They are different designs, to include the size of the stars on the flag. But a casual look- the plates look the same.
View attachment 124437View attachment 124438
Could be those are just minor detail differences, such as when old dies wear out and they make new ones. New more-reflective paint formula, etc.

Could be those are just minor detail differences, such as when old dies wear out and they make new ones. New more-reflective paint formula, etc.
According to a web search, the changes which appear very minor, are official license plate generational change. I would not have identified the changes without the web search description of the official/formal changes, which seem very small, but I guess not according to the Alaska DMV.

According to a web search, the changes which appear very minor, are official license plate generational change. I would not have identified the changes without the web search description of the official/formal changes, which seem very small, but I guess not according to the Alaska DMV.
LOL It must've been a slow day at the DMV.... "The new lemony-yellow paint and revised star layout on the flag will spur greater attentiveness and safety amongst our licensed drivers".

I like the vintage Cali black and yellow. ;)
1667579311743.jpeg

When I lived in Delaware they were reissuing some numbers below a certain number, amd then you could reissue a non-traditional black porcelain plate that dates back far. It is a 1942 style.

But the standard Delaware plate itself is the same as far as I remember. It is consistent,y the same plate dating back to 1962, with the screening approach being the only change. Virginia white and standard NC plates seem to never change either.

But I vote Delaware - same since 1962.
Delaware must have been the first to issue “reflective” plates…I remember when the letters would reflect WHITE when in your car headlights

Someone should quantify that a plate has to have been attached to a car in 19xx and aside from validation stickers it will be the same piece of metal and stay legally valid. The California and Delaware examples seem to be at the top of this contest.

Seems like there are a few "well these plates pretty much look the same." If one is compelled to unscrew an old one and replace it at renewal time, the old style is, in fact, invalid.

Someone should quantify that a plate has to have been attached to a car in 19xx and aside from validation stickers it will be the same piece of metal and stay legally valid. The California and Delaware examples seem to be at the top of this contest.

Seems like there are a few "well these plates pretty much look the same." If one is compelled to unscrew an old one and replace it at renewal time, the old style is, in fact, invalid.
California is different than I’m used to because apparently the plate stays with the car. So an old car could have the same plate forever. When I bought my 300CD in LA, I drove it home across country because the plate was mine since it stayed with the car and I had a bill of sale.

Delaware gives up plates when you sell a car, they just have so few people and no desire to change the plates.

California is different than I’m used to because apparently the plate stays with the car.
KY is that way also, which was completely foreign to me when I first sold/bought a car here.

Every other state I've lived in (plenty), the plate is yours and you're supposed to turn it back into the DMV when you sell the car or aren't using it anymore. I imagine that rarely happens.

When I lived in Delaware they were reissuing some numbers below a certain number, amd then you could reissue a non-traditional black porcelain plate that dates back far. It is a 1942 style.

But the standard Delaware plate itself is the same as far as I remember. It is consistent,y the same plate dating back to 1962, with the screening approach being the only change. Virginia white and standard NC plates seem to never change either.

But I vote Delaware - same since 1962.
State of Delaware does not directly reissue the small black plates. They just allow the recipient of certain low number digits sets below a threshold to apply to a third party service to make state approved black plate with the allowed low numbers on them and with a valid registration sticker, be installed on a registered Delaware vehicle.

If a low digit is issued, the state still hands the owner a standard blue/gold plate and the owner can then either at the DMV itself or at home on a computer, apply for replacement plate in black. If you applied your registration sticker to the new blue standard plate while waiting on the reissued replacement black plate to come in, you still have pay for out of pocket to get a new duplicate registration sticker.

About the only people I see with the reissued small black license plates in Delaware are old money or people who want you to think they are native old money.

I remember seeing those little Delaware plates on old cars when I was a kid. THOSE were originals. Ha-ha, retro hadn't been invented yet.
Back in '73, on my first trip to California, I saw quite a few old black plates. Wasn't one featured on a Beach Boys album cover?

Back