New Jersey bans 19 motor oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eight brands of motor oils in multiple grades (19 products) have been banned from sale in NJ by the Office of the Attorney General this morning. Retail outlets that continue to sell or offer these products will be subject to a civil fine of at least $100 per container. Seven of these brands have been flagged by PQIA over the past few years, and they have been working with the State of New Jersey as well as other states to address these issues.

"Many of these allegedly mislabeled motor oils are sold at cheap prices, thereby luring those consumers who can least afford the extra maintenance costs or early engine failure that may result from using the wrong type of motor oil," Acting Attorney General John J. Hoffman said. "We are rightly removing these potentially harmful products from New Jersey's marketplace, and will penalize retailers who continue to sell them."

A list of the products and additional details can be found on PQIA's website:

Petroleum Quality Institute of America

Tom NJ

Some additional information on the banned oils from a news conference held this morning and reported on News12 NJ. New Jersey appears to be going all out on this effort.

News12 NJ

"While the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs focused its only on viscosity levels, the state also sent its samples to the PQIA for a chemical analysis. And, as with Kane In Your Corner’s investigation last year, many of the oils were found to have other serious problems, including contamination with dirt and metal shavings, or substandard mixtures of additives that could add up to significant engine damage.

“With some of those samples, you could do significant engine damage in weeks,” says Tom Glenn, president of PQIA. Glenn says of the 63 samples he tested – all were tested anonymously and multiple samples were provided from each product – only six received passing grades."

"New Jersey is now the sixth state in the country to ban harmful motor oils and the first in the Northeast. Glenn applauds the state’s actions but cautions there is more work to be done, noting that "labels are comparatively cheap" and it’s easy for substandard oil makers to simply release the same banned product under a different name.

Lee, however, promises the state will be watching. “The order banning these motor oils is just the beginning, it's not the end of our investigation,” he says.

Tom NJ

They should send that stuff to me! I would know how to use it.
When ever I need a little oil as a top off to get me to the next oil change, those oils would work for me in that instance.

On the other hand, i suppose they will recycle it and turn it into something more usefull with the proper additives and certifications.

You would? You would put "Black Knight Motor Oil 5-30" into your engine in any amount? I sure wouldn't.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
When ever I need a little oil as a top off to get me to the next oil change, those oils would work for me in that instance.

On the other hand, i suppose they will recycle it and turn it into something more usefull with the proper additives and certifications.

Sad most of that stuff is still sold here...

I'd print that out to show places that carry it here, but I get the feeling most would not care...

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Seems like most junk oils are on the east coast

Yeah, the intellectually superior California citizens aren't fooled so easily.
raiders-fans.jpg

Go down to your local auto zone and ask to fill a jug from their recycle drum. It would be better than the junk these companies sell
smile.gif

I wonder if anyone has looked at "white box" oil filters. Oil is important but oil filters are useful, too. I've held a white box oil filter that felt like it was half the weight of an orange can Fram filter. Anyhow, hats of to NJ for stepping up to protect motorists.

The sick thing about 5-30 is it's somewhere between 5 and 30 weight and makes no more specific claim of viscosity.

Most of the labels read "miscible with (real) motor oil", that just means it won't float on top!
frown.gif

Blah blah blah, it's $3/qt at liquor stores, you can get API certified oil from walmart for less, etc etc.

Wow... I sincerely hope you're just joking here. I wouldn't put Black Knight oil in my lawnmower, let alone even consider putting in my car for 5 minutes.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Channel12 News/Black Knight.htm

.. and the sad thing is, it's not even the worst of the bunch.

Good luck to you.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Go down to your local auto zone and ask to fill a jug from their recycle drum. It would be better than the junk these companies sell
smile.gif
I've got 10 QTS in my pickup that better than what they sell lol

What I find ironic about US Economy motor oil is the most likely place you find this stuff is in stores and carry outs where the owners come from a place where oil production is a main contributor to their homelands GDP and they are not what you would call patriotic Americans. These stores are also the most likely candidates to keep selling this banned oil til someone from weights and measures physically enters the stores and removes it from their shelves.
These stores were the very last stores to pull bath salts from their shelves when they were banned. They still carried it, you just had to ask for it. It was not til these store owners were arrested, they quit carrying bath salts.

Note that that MaxiGuard bottle says "Net Wt (740 gr)" and makes no reference to "Quart". A typical full quart of motor oil should have 800+ grams of oil.

Products sold by volume must provide the volume measurement, not a weight measurement.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Seems like most junk oils are on the east coast

Yeah, the intellectually superior California citizens aren't fooled so easily.
raiders-fans.jpg

So your intellectual wisdom tells you all residents of CA are Raiders fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back