'New & Improved' Castrol FST

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like Castrol Edge with Titanium FST Strength Technology has been reformulated.

According to the May 15, 2013, MSDS it now contains two different highly refined base oils. The highly scientific freezer shake test show it to be noticeably thinner than the previous formulation around 5 F. This is one oil I am definitely going to have to run...

2vm7ktd.jpg

Sorry for the huge photo. I am still working on the resizing thing.

Specs are similar to Mobil 1 5W-30, with Mobil 1 having a little advantage at 100*C.: 11.0 versus 10.7 cSt.

From MSDS:
Viscosity Kinematic: 61.48 mm2/s (61.48 cSt) at 40°C
Kinematic: 10.7 mm2/s (10.7 cSt) at 100°C

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Specs are similar to Mobil 1 5W-30, with Mobil 1 having a little advantage at 100*C.: 11.0 versus 10.7 cSt.

From MSDS:
Viscosity Kinematic: 61.48 mm2/s (61.48 cSt) at 40°C
Kinematic: 10.7 mm2/s (10.7 cSt) at 100°C

Without knowing the HTHSV of this oil we really don't know if it really is thicker than M1 although it's somewhat lower 166 VI would lead one to believe it may be slightly heavier on start-up.
Are we splitting hairs? Absolutely.

I am really impressed by the Castrol Edge with Titanium. About one year ago, I picked up a BMW booklet at a dealership (mainly to drool over as I cannot afford a BMW). However, on the back of the booklet it stated on the bottom "BMW recommends Castrol Edge". It started me thinking that if it is good enough for a BMW it should be good for my lowly Honda Civic (which I love terribly).

So I started researching Castrol Edge and liked the information and reviews I found. I have been using it ever since with no problems whatsoever and with great winter starting in Winnipeg (no elaborations needed with week long stretches at -25 deg. C.

The kicker for me was today at work (semi-retired at Home Depot). A new guy started and I asked what he did before. He is retired but spent 30 plus years as a mechanic and service manager. He came from Germany and worked at a Winnipeg Audi / Volkswagon dealership. Without any prompting I had to ask, what he thought was the best 'top tier' synthetic oil. He gave a one word reply - Castrol.

For my personal choice, it made my day. Please know I am not trying to start a flame war. The oils nowadays are so well formulated only whiskers separate them.. Your choice is just as excellent!

Cheers

I really like the FST as well, and I like that the 5w20 is on the thick side for a 5w20. Our KIA is whisper quiet on the stuff too.

Have it in my Accord 2.4 now...Its not any quieter than what it used to be on other oils (whatever synthetic the mechanic used) in fact i think my piston slap is a little more pronounced on this oil. Have pennzoil ultra waiting to go in for the next fill. Still trying to decide what filter to run.

Last edited:
"Maintained Maximum Horsepower 60% Longer Than Castrol Syntec*"

That medical marijuana is really hitting the Marketing department hard.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
"Maintained Maximum Horsepower 60% Longer Than Castrol Syntec*"

That medical marijuana is really hitting the Marketing department hard.

LOL

Statements like that, when you put your marketing [censored] goggles on, reads: "Castrol Edge resists oxidative thickening over the old Syntec formula by up to 60% on some arbitrary scale, and is just the result of advancing industry standards. This claim is only relative to the obsolete product it replaces and in no way suggests that Edge performs any better or worse than a competing product"

When you imply that horsepower is at stake, the consumer mindset is derailed into wanting all of "his horses" and would be then likely to choose Castrol as a result.
02.gif

I picked up some 10W30 while it was still on sale from Autozone yesterday. While grabbing the bottles I noticed that there were 2 versions of the labels, and the dates varied quite a bit. Yours (and this might be different for 5w30) looks like the older version, so I'd be curious to know what the manufacturing date is. You can differentiate the labels on the bottom lefthand corner, A vs B. The "A" version I found was manufactured back in 2011, and the "B" was mid 2012 onwards. Talk about nitpicking..
smile.gif
What's the manufacturing date on your bottles?

Last edited:
Looks like Castrol has a good oil with Edge. Performed well in Amsoil's bobo testing too. Let's see how long Castrol keeps it before making adjustments.

They backed off the 15k mile claim. Interesting...

Originally Posted By: climhazzard
I picked up some 10W30 while it was still on sale from Autozone yesterday.

If you're going to upgrade to a synthetic oil why would you not choose the superior 5W-30 grade?
Honda specified a 10W-30 dino for the S2000 back in the day.
No manufacturer has ever specified a synthetic 10W-30 as it is a redundant.

Originally Posted By: climhazzard
I picked up some 10W30 while it was still on sale from Autozone yesterday. While grabbing the bottles I noticed that there were 2 versions of the labels, and the dates varied quite a bit. Yours (and this might be different for 5w30) looks like the older version, so I'd be curious to know what the manufacturing date is. You can differentiate the labels on the bottom lefthand corner, A vs B. The "A" version I found was manufactured back in 2011, and the "B" was mid 2012 onwards. Talk about nitpicking..
smile.gif
What's the manufacturing date on your bottles?

This is embarrassing: The 'New & Improved' 60% better Castrol is from July, 2011, and bottled in Plant A.
33.gif

I have no idea how I missed that. It is strange that Castrol decided to roll back the claim a year later...

How can you take their Product Data sheet seriously when half the numbers are missing and just substituted with "OK"? What a joke. I won't be buying any unless I find it somewhere near free.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Now can it handle 15k like M1 EP?

Possibly. There are plenty of BMWs, Audis, and Volkswagens that use Castrol Edge as service fill running to 10k and 15k. Granted, those cars tend to have larger sumps (7-10qt).

Originally Posted By: bigt61
How can you take their Product Data sheet seriously when half the numbers are missing and just substituted with "OK"? What a joke. I won't be buying any unless I find it somewhere near free.

The fact that it carries a lot of approvals is good enough for me. There are plenty of other oils with unpublished data and I don't condemn them...in fact, I've run them with good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back