New Guy Oil Recommendation Request !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: White_Monster

I've been using a Purolator PureOne filter for the last several years, but was thinking of trying the Mobile 1 Extended Capacity filter for my next change. Any problems with that one?

Pure One filters have an excellent reputation.
By all accounts, Mobil filters are also top of the line, possibly (??) offering slightly better filtration than Pure One.

I'm always willing to pay extra for high quality stuff, but have a hard time shelling out 13 bucks for an M1. I don't think the extra cash is buying anything tangible.

Last edited:
The best thing you can do for a car that only sees 6-8K/year is take it for a hot, fast 60-90min drive once a month. Open her up and burn some fuel. Really!

K

Those 6 trips/year, if reasonably dispersed throughout the year, are sufficient to get you by on nearly any oil, but you should still change after 12mo.

Just have a little hot'n'fast WOT time on each of your N.C. trips.

White_Monster said:
I'm going to drop the oil as soon as I receive the kit from Blackstone and will post the UAO once I get the results back from them.

It will be a very interesting excersise, since the M1 "Extended 15,000" has been in the truck since August 11, 2008 and has gone 14,000 miles.

Oops !!!

White_Monster, Welcome. It will be very interesting to find out how good that "Extended" M1 has treated your Toyota engine. Personally, I am using up the Havoline dino 10w-40 that I picked up on local closeouts a few years ago from Big Lots and Rite-Aid.It is an SL rated oil and has a nice honey color to it as I pour it out of the bottle. My application is an '89 Toyota Pick-up, 22RE 4-cyl, 5-speed, with 113k miles. The majority of this small trucks work includes 15 mile one-way commute to work on the freeways of Los Angeles. My OCI is probably about 4-5K and I supersized to the full size Ford filter, now using the Pureolator Pure One PL30001. Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: White_Monster
Originally Posted By: ronrackley
My 2001 Tacoma has ... over 100,000 miles on it now and it runs like new. It sounds just like new, too. There is no oil consumption, near as I can tell, and the dipstick is coated with transparent golden oil every time I check it.

Hey Ron, that is cool to have the dipstick coated with transparent golden oil every time you check it.
Mine looks and drives like new too, but I have only owned it since 68,000 miles.

What area of Florida do you live in ?

Tampa Bay.

The Tacoma "lives" most of the time with my son who is in college up in Gainesville and it has never been outside the state of Florida since I have owned it - and it rarely sees temperatures below 40 degrees F. I imagine that has something to do with the oil holding up so well, but the Toyota 2.4L I-4 is still pretty amazing. It uses less oil than any other engine I've ever maintained - I stare at the dipstick at, say, 5000 miles and wonder if it has dropped 1/16 inch or not. That is how little it uses if it uses any at all. I assume that, theoretically, it must use a little to keep the cylinder walls lubricated. It is darker when I drain it into a catch pan at oil change time, of course, but it is never dark wnough to notice on the dipstick. That is with Rotella 5w40.

Originally Posted By: Kaboomba
Those 6 trips/year, if reasonably dispersed throughout the year, are sufficient to get you by on nearly any oil, but you should still change after 12mo. Just have a little hot'n'fast WOT time on each of your N.C. trips.

Kaboomba, my NC trips are in April, May, June, August & September.
I also get 25 minute highway trips at least once per month, so it sounds like I'm good.

Originally Posted By: VWguy
I supersized to the full size Ford filter, now using the Pureolator Pure One PL30001. Take care, Bill

Bill, I wasn't aware that a full size Ford filter fit the Toyota inline four's .... hmmmmm.
But, I already bought the M1 M1-301 as a special deal with 5-quarts of M1 Syth oil for $25.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: ronrackley
Tampa Bay.
The Tacoma "lives" most of the time with my son who is in college up in Gainesville.
I stare at the dipstick at, say, 5000 miles and wonder if it has dropped 1/16 inch or not. That is how little it uses if it uses any at all.

Ron, I grew up in Clearwater and am a Gator myself, what a small world, eh ?
I'm at 14,000 and have not had to add oil yet !!!

Just got my Blackstone Oil Test Kit in today's mail and will drop the oil tomorrow .... will post results in UOA board, but might as well do it here also, for continuity.

Great analysis... I am sorry if you already mentioned this but how long (months) was the oil in for?

Originally Posted By: ps49556n
Great analysis... I am sorry if you already mentioned this but how long (months) was the oil in for?

Oh sorry, I put all the data in the UOA section.
This oil was in the truck for 17 months (since August 2008) !!
56.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back