2001 Honda Accord 3.0 6 cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks
My engine has 215,000 miles on it and is still running strong. I am driving about 8,000 miles a year, short trips around town. The manual recommends changing the oil at 7,500 miles and I have been changing it at 5,000 miles with conventional oil. Supertech oil and filter. 5W-20.
I have been considering 3,000 mile changes. Can I get some recommendations?

Thank you

I wouldn't necessarily drop down to 3K mile oil/filter changes.

With the information that you've provided(215K miles, short trip driving, conventional oil), the only way to know is to do a Used Oil Analysis(UOA). This will tell you if you could go even further on your oil change interval(OCI) or, cut back to 3K miles.

I like your current 5K mile OCI but again, the UOA would tell you more. Maybe even move up to SuperTech Full Synthetic for a bit more money and do a Once/Per Year OCI. But, this is getting ahead of ourselves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AlphaRed
Hi folks
My engine has 215,000 miles on it and is still running strong. I am driving about 8,000 miles a year, short trips around town. The manual recommends changing the oil at 7,500 miles and I have been changing it at 5,000 miles with conventional oil. Supertech oil and filter. 5W-20.

Thank you

Welcome to the board.
Stay with the Supertech, but I'd drop down to every 4K. Change the oil every six months, like right after the snow flies and then right before winter.

Funny you recommend that because I rotated my tires and they put a sticker on the window for 4,000 miles.

Thank you

Funny you recommend that because I rotated my tires and they put a sticker on the window for 4,000 miles.

Thank you

It sure beats needing an oil change - then grabbing the ramps, when six inches of snow are on the ground.
Time your oil changes so Mother Nature cooperates.

Hi folks

Thank you

Are you the original owner? Why change now? You already have done well and made it to 215k with no issues. Don't try to change something that has been working.

I am the second owner. I purchased the car 4 years ago, it had 185,000 miles on it. The previous owner did all the maintenance with oil changes at 3,000 miles. I don't like the idea of throwing away good oil but I came here to gather information from experience.

Thank you

3,000 mile oil changes were the gold standard for engine longevity before synthetic oils expanded in popularity. Due to their higher price, extended oil change intervals were suggested, and because the oil was better it didn't affect engine life measurably. 3,000 miles would still be an excellent choice especially when oil prices are so low and especially with short trips around town.

That engine will run indefinitely on 5K oil changes using any oil that meets the spec. recommended.....It's the BAXA automatic transmission in that era Accord that were troublesome....

What is prompting this change interval idea? If it's the weather then twice a year (4000 miles) to avoid changing it in the winter months would be a suggestion.

Otherwise I wouldn't change anything.

5,000 miles on pretty much any oil and filter will work perfect in that engine, and won't hurt a thing. 3,000 mile changes are a thing of the past with modern engine oils being so good. You could easily do yearly oil changes with synthetic at 8,000 miles per year. Hondas are pretty easy on oil to begin with.

I think you're doing fine. Three thou is a waste of money. If you change your own ST or any other WPP or even Warren Oil i.e. Harvest King syn is probably worth the bit extra.

Last edited:
What do you use to keep your Pistons, Valves, and injectors clean?

Thank you

A combination of oil, oil supplements, intake spray cleaners and add-to gas tank cleaners.

I like doing oil changes on my car and 6 months seems a bit long. Today I put BG 44k in my tank fill up and a new air filter. I would really like to get 300,000 miles out of this car. The air filter was dirty for 15,000 miles. The manual says to change the air filter at 30,000 miles.

Thank you

Originally Posted by JMJNet
That Honda have a pesky transmission.

You probably want to maintain the transmission more?

The previous owner had the transmission replaced. I have not had any problems so far. I did a flush and fill on the transmission 15,000 miles ago.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back