Telluride - Dealer did not use recommended oil

I live in South Carolina. I took our 2021 Kia Telluride purchased August 2020 (9 months ago) for it's 7,500 mile recommended maintenance (oil & filter), tire rotation, etc. The owner's manual recommends 5w30. The dealer used 5w20. When I inquired they told me it was because it's South Carolina (i.e., our temperatures are more moderate?). Does this jive?

I think a 5W-20 would be fine. I always put what’s recommended in but that’s just me. With the climate there it won’t hurt it a 30 or a 40 probably wouldn’t either. But really I’d go back and make them fix it if you want the 30 in it. And watch them do it to make sure.

1620743852774.jpg

Have them switch it out.

If there was a choice, the owner's manual should make that qualification. The fact that Kia recommends something and the Kia dealer didn't follow that seemed strange. Next time I'll be specific that I want the manufacturer's recommendations followed. Period. I'll probably take it back just to get things started on the right foot.

I live in South Carolina. I took our 2021 Kia Telluride purchased August 2020 (9 months ago) for it's 7,500 mile recommended maintenance (oil & filter), tire rotation, etc. The owner's manual recommends 5w30. The dealer usede 5w20. When I inquired they told me it was because it's South Carolina (i.e., our temperatures are more moderate?). Does this jive?
Even my VW dealer did this kind of balony - but in the OTHER direction. . They just use their bulk oil.
Have a talk with the Service Manager. This is egregious.
The other issue is does the service writer really know what they did in the service bay?

Do what I did, bring your own and WATCH them put it in. If they say NO, never go there again.

You're right. OM says 10w30 or 5w30. Probably doesn't make a huge difference, but the next OC put in 5w30. w20 is good in colder climate, and w30 is good in warmer climates. Your engine probably needs a bit thicker oil when warm. The engineers that built it are probably a little more intelligent than a dealership tech.

If it makes you feel better the 3.8 V6 has specced 5W-20 as an option in other applications/previous years/previous iterations. That being said I'd want 5/10w-30 in it.

Demand they change it and if they refuse call Hyundai and see what they have to say about it. Using 5w-20 because your temps are more moderate is bull :poop: . It's not like it's 20 degrees Fahrenheit year round in SC...

The rampant incompetence of Kia service departments is the primary reason I crossed a Stinger GT2 off my list of prospective replacements for my 2er.
I am with you there. They still seem to operate like the adjunct to a used car lot they they use to be.- at least in my county.
Now I was surprised by my VW dealer being bone heads too.

I'm starting to think service departments HATE customers and are out to shaft them where they can.

Must be from all those years of implausible warranty denial arguments they are forced to put forward

With Kia's history of engine failures on 20 grade oils, plus the specification of a 30 for your vehicle, get REALLY loud.

thicker: usually ok
thinner: not so much

I have a friend that takes his Stinger to the Ford dealership to have the oil changed. That's how bad our local Hyundai/Kia dealer is.
I joined a Stinger owners group on Facebook when I was considering a Stinger and the service department horror stories were a constant topic. One owner found that the alleged “tech” had written the engine’s oil capacity on the engine cover with a Sharpie. More than a few owners had the side skirts damaged by using the wrong lift while others found greasy fingerprints on interior trim. I personally know one owner that had so many warranty hassles that he sold the car after 15 months of ownership.

Back