new great idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about say oil pans with inspection ports 3-4 inches across via screw on type cover. Should be placed to give access and clear view of oil pickup screen. No need to drop whole pan to take a look, espically good on those engines that need to move suspension or exhaust to drop pan. Also allows views of cylinder bore condition and finish, along with cranks etc. If you need to clean pickup or pan easy.

Originally Posted By: jldcol
How about say oil pans with inspection ports 3-4 inches across via screw on type cover. Should be placed to give access and clear view of oil pickup screen. No need to drop whole pan to take a look, espically good on those engines that need to move suspension or exhaust to drop pan. Also allows views of cylinder bore condition and finish, along with cranks etc. If you need to clean pickup or pan easy.

The 0.1% of the population that wants that can modify their oil pans. There is no reason for the other 99.9% to pay the added production expense and to deal with extra leak paths.

Doesn't bmw or mercedes engines that have canister type filters that are located in the oil pan all ready have a similar sized opening/seal ? Do these have a history of leaking?

The big diesels in Electromotive locomotives have access ports like that for repair and inspection. They look like big steel portholes.
For a car, this is pretty useless, though. there really is nothing for us to do in there.

My truck has 2 oil pans... The upper one and the one below that where the oil pickup sits in the pan. For me it's only 6 bolts and a gasket and it's off... I have done it just to see inside...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: jldcol
Doesn't bmw or mercedes engines that have canister type filters that are located in the oil pan all ready have a similar sized opening/seal ? Do these have a history of leaking?

BMW and Mercedes have canister oil filter at the top of the engine.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
My truck has 2 oil pans... The upper one and the one below that where the oil pickup sits in the pan. For me it's only 6 bolts and a gasket and it's off... I have done it just to see inside...
grin2.gif

I had one like that too. My 2002 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2L. All the 1998+ had a big aluminum lower block skirt, then a small stamped steel pan for the oil pump p/u and the oil drain plug. Kinda cool I always thought.

Joel

Then how about oversized drain plugs, say a 1 inch hole. Oil changes would take less time and with a light and mirror might be able to some kind of inspection.I do like the glass see thru port idea. How much detail can you actually see thru it? I still would like access at least to the oil pickup screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back