New Goodyear tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone see the new Assurance TripleTred tires by Goodyear? AutoRack has them. I currently have Yokohamas on (Avids-great tire by the way-16 235/55s) and I probably have another 15-20k left on them. Since this is a year round drive for me, these tires intregue me. Largest size is 16 225/60s. Thoughts?

Dunno about those, but I've never had a set of Goodyears that I liked, and I've driven on many different types, on all sorts of cars--Mustang GT, Expedition, Civic, Corolla, Buick, Audi A4 2.8Q, you name it!

Since you like 'em already, I'd strongly advise that you stay with the Avids.

My buddy's '03 Corolla has Goodyear Integrity tires and they're the absolute worst tires I've ever driven on! Pure garbage!

The cheapo stock GY tires on my truck lasted 70K miles! But they had a hard rubber compound and would slide easily on wet surfaces. Not bad for tire life, but handling and traction were not good.

I'd stick with the Yokos myself. In my experience, Goodyears have had low grip, bad treadwear, and high prices.

Had a set of Eagle ST's last 23k on my S-10 Blazer back in the day. Got 23k (coincidence?) out of the stock Eagle RS-A's on my Neon R/T, then got 25k out of Yoko AVSi's with about twice as much track time. Heck, used A032R's as a street tire for a while.

Just my 2 ppm,
M

Which Avids? Yokohama makes a number of tires that have the nave Avid in them.

Goodyear has the tendancy to make some really crappy rubber compound. They'll last forever, but they don't grip very well at all. Most poeple tent to not understand that a lot of their hydroplaning is because of their tires. Most poeple tend to not understand that you can get grip in the snow. **** , most poeple don't understand that tires need to be properly inflated.

Personally, I don't like keeping tires for more than 2 years. The compound just gets cooked/rotted/hard and just doesn't work very well anymore. Because of this, I'll usually get a tire that is good, cheap and will probably wear out in 2-3 years so I always have relatively fresh and safe rubber on the ground.

The Yokohama Avid H4's are pretty darn good tires.

Although for performance tires I'm tending to gear myself towards the Kumho Ecsta MX's. Cheap and a great rubber compound.

How could Captain Picard possibly advertise a bad tire?
tongue.gif

I would just like to say that I also wouldn't even consider goodyears, after a camping trip in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE getting 3 flats in 3 different places! And then the air compressor crapped out! The only tire that didn't get a hole was, surprisingly, the Firestone spare. We had so many flat tires we were putting on tires that weren't quite as flast to get home! And then after we got them patched, one of them blew out on the freeway!
rolleyes.gif

My luck with Goodyears hasn't be overly impressive. I've had Eagles on a couple of Camaros and when it was time to buy new tires, I went a different direction. I thought they were always overpriced. The Yoko's I have on are the Avid T4s and they ride on a Regal GS. I use them in all conditions and have had very good luck.

My 92 Grand AM came with the Eagle, GT's I think. I liked them. This was my first car with ABS. With the Goodyears, ABS, and front wheel drive, it was great on ice*. Unfortunately with only about 20K on it, one of the sidewalls developed a blister. My Goodyear dealer offered to sell me a new one at regular retail price, not even pro rated. I tried several other brands, Firestone Firehawks, Kelly Chargers, etc. and none of them rode and stuck to wet pavement near as well. I am disgusted with the newer tires. It seems everybody is wanting a tire that last forever. They wear like iron, but ride and hold the road that way too.

*Note, once the snow got up to the air dam, I left it at home and took my rear wheel drive truck.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
How could Captain Picard possibly advertise a bad tire?
tongue.gif

Remember when he advertised Grand Ams a number of years ago? Had the Borg assimilated a Grand Am their cubes would have had serious problems (at the very least chronic leaks on the warp injection manifolds) for sure.

Now back to work...

Engage!

I've had 4 sets of assorted Goodyear tires and every set was mediocre when new and got worse with age. The "good" part is they usually wear out quickly so you can replace them with a quality tire. I'm convinced it it weren't for OEM sales Goodyear would be out of business...

I've had MANY Goodyear tires that I absolutely loved, but all of them were the top of the line performance ones.

Example, the Gatorback. I ran these on the following cars:

88 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo
84 Corvette
Two different 87 Mustang GTs
and they also came on my mom's 94 Probe GT

In all of these cars,I actually drove them in winter on the Gatorbacks! They were awesome in snow, even though they were summer tires. Grip in the dry was excellent too.

Another Goodyear tire I loved was the GSC. Had them on my 98 Formula. They worked awesome at the dragstrip.

I currently run the Goodyear F1 GS D3 on my 95 Formula. One of the best tires I've ever bought. Wet grip is awesome, dry grip is incredible. I even got stuck driving home in an ice storm last April just after I put them on, and I made it home without incident! This GS D3 tire is so popular that it's frequently on back order, they cannot keep up with the demand.

I also know Goodyear makes some junk too though, I've owned a car with the Eagle GT+4s on them, and they sucked. And the old Eagle GT wasn't much better.

Another "not so thrilled with Goodyear" vote here. My experience with Goodyear tires has generally been;

1. They wear rather slowly.

2. Fair dry traction, horrific (down right dangerous) wet traction, don't even bother leaving the driveway in the snow.

3. Little to no road noise and good ride quality.

I should say my only experience with Goodyear tires has been OE tires (on my previous last two new vehicles) so they weren't exactly their top of the line tires. Still, when I replaced them Goodyear wasn't even a consideration mostly because of the horrible wet traction.

I'll also give a plug for the Yokohama Avid line of tires. We replaced the OE Generals from my wife's Taurus (which weren't bad BTW) with a set of Avid Touring from Tirerack. The transformation those tires made in the cars handling was amazing. THe ride was a tiny bit harsher but well worth it given the excellent grip and cornering they offered. Perhaps the best thing about them is the traction on a wet road is nearly as good as on dry. I was very impressed with the Yoko's and the price was excellent. I'll definetely consider Yoko's for my next tire purchase although I've read some reports of people having trouble getting them balanced (the new, hp Avid).

I'd agree with Patman. The only Goodyears I'd consider would be their top of the line ones - F1 GSD3. Their lower-end tires aren't so good, but then again, this can be said about many tire manufacturers.
smile.gif

My 01 Jetta came w/ Goodyear RS-As. They were OK, not the greatest tire I've ever been on and not the worst, but in VW circles, they were nicknamed Screamin' Eagles!
tongue.gif

That said, my 02 Protege came w/ Dunlop SP5000s and those were incredible OEM tires, esp on that car. I got an irrepairable puncture in one, and replaced two tires w/ another Dunlop product and I don't think nearly as much of them as I do of the SP5000s.

I've seen my fair share of problems with Goodyear, especially with thread wear. However that said, I have had a VERY GOOD experience with two Goodyear tires.

My wifes car has Goodyear Viva 2 tires available only at Wal-mart. For an all around cheap tire, these are nothing short of awsome. The are rated for 60,000 miles, but they look brand new with about 40,000 miles on them, about 8/32 tread left(10/32 new). They have great traction, are quiet, and are neerly unstoppable in the snow.

On my beater I needed tires last fall. They were out of the Viva 2s so I went with the Viva Touring tires. They are more expensive and are much sportier. They don't have as much snow traction as the Viva 2s, but they are better handling. These are rated for 80,000 miles, can't wait to see how they hold up.
grin.gif

-T

Remember this;

ALL TIREMAKERS MAKE CRAP TIRES!!!!

Most make very good tires too. The dificult part is figuring out which is best within a class.

I love the Goodyear Aquatread IIIs on my grandma's Olds Ciera. They do exactly what I bought them for, give a good ride and superb wet braking and handling. They are only mediocre on dry pavement, but grandma needs the wet braking more than dry handling... I could not stand the Goodyears that were on it OEM. They truly sucked, wet or dry.

The F1 GSD3 is a truly oustanding tire, but they hold it a little too dearly for my tastes, so I'll stick with my Kumhos. Does not change the fact that a Goodyear is at the top of the heap and that a Goodyear is near the bottom as well.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I've had MANY Goodyear tires that I absolutely loved, but all of them were the top of the line performance ones.

Example, the Gatorback. I ran these on the following cars:

88 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo
84 Corvette
Two different 87 Mustang GTs
and they also came on my mom's 94 Probe GT

In all of these cars,I actually drove them in winter on the Gatorbacks! They were awesome in snow, even though they were summer tires. Grip in the dry was excellent too.

Another Goodyear tire I loved was the GSC. Had them on my 98 Formula. They worked awesome at the dragstrip.

I currently run the Goodyear F1 GS D3 on my 95 Formula. One of the best tires I've ever bought. Wet grip is awesome, dry grip is incredible. I even got stuck driving home in an ice storm last April just after I put them on, and I made it home without incident! This GS D3 tire is so popular that it's frequently on back order, they cannot keep up with the demand.

I also know Goodyear makes some junk too though, I've owned a car with the Eagle GT+4s on them, and they sucked. And the old Eagle GT wasn't much better.

I'm surprized you liked the Gatorbacks Patman. I had two sets on different Mustangs and hated them. When I bought my '90 I had them removed and replaced with GT+4's. Big mistake, they were worse. The only tire I've ever owned that actually broke a belt.

I've not owned any of their latest high end tires so I can't say much about them, but I have no doubt Goodyear has the technology to make a great tire. I'm just not sure the bean counters will let the engineers do that...

Had a hilarious (in retrospect) tire buying debacle today. Looking for a set of the new Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads, which are getting some good reviews, I went to the local tire store that said they had 'em, and at a good price. I walk over to the window during install and see, to my shock, that they are installing Assurance Comfort Treads instead!!! Store guy says that the model is so new, he didn't realize there were TWO Assurance models, and they have none of the TripleTread model in stock. I'm not happy.

I'm also in a bind, since my OEMs are leaking and damaged. Tire store guy (a little ignorant, buy having a great attitude) points out, and shows me on paper, where GY has a 30 day, no questions asked, full satisfaction guarantee on both Assurance models. He proposes that I take them, drive on them for a week, and if I don't like them, he will get the TripleTreads. I agree.

And the funny part -- I really like the tires, at least so far. They're about 8/10th as crisp as I'd really like, but otherwise, wonderful. Very quiet and very grippy. We have a lot of curving expressway ramps in New Orleans that have big metal edged expansion joints on them. The OEM Integritys slipped badly over these, even when new. The Assurance CTs don't slip at all. And it's notably harder to get wheelspin on wet pavement (pathetically easy with Integs on a V-6 Camry). Wow so far.

So, as I said, it was a debacle that might just have a happy ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back