New Goodyear tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, just for the record, my 45,000 mile warranted Eagle GAs on both my 2000 Firebird and 2002 Camaro never made it past 10,000 miles without hitting the wear bars.

Sad tires, and I didn't even race on them. The highway tore them to shreds at speeds over 70.

But, Goodyear was nice enough to give me $100/tire in warranty credit so I could get some Yokohama ES100s... which I love very much
bowdown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dominic:
lol, just for the record, my 45,000 mile warranted Eagle GAs on both my 2000 Firebird and 2002 Camaro never made it past 10,000 miles without hitting the wear bars.

Sad tires, and I didn't even race on them. The highway tore them to shreds at speeds over 70.

But, Goodyear was nice enough to give me $100/tire in warranty credit so I could get some Yokohama ES100s... which I love very much
bowdown.gif

Oh heavens above, admitting you're a 'nole is about the quickest way possible to get your opinions disregarded. You have to go to school in Gainesville before you can really figure things out and have some credibility. . .
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Seriously though, I'm pretty well convinced that anything that's installed at any factory, and that says "Goodyear" on its side is going to be lousy rubber. So far, on the other hand, the Assurance CTs have been very good. Yesterday, I ran them up to 85 for a few miles, and they were absolutely, totally without vibration, and made minimal noise (note also, it took very small weights to balance them). And while no one is going to mistake my Camry for a Z06 'vette, Camaro, or Firebird, the handling is nicely crisp, especially in the sedan world. Still, I'll probably make them get me a set of the Triple Treads I wanted in the first place.

Go Gators!
cheers.gif

For an International manafacturer Goodyear could definately improve some of there model lines.

On the Eagle GA remarks...no matter how hard i drove them (S & T rated sizes) they perfectly last until 45,000 (well they were below 2/32nd by then)

However i had them rotated religiously every 6,000miles and rebalance every 12,000k. The only thing I should have done was had them re-aligned every 15 or so to cut back on Toe wear out.

For comfort great tire, they did skimp on compound due to it rather fast weathering. Sidewall did scream on cornering but for a luxury touring tire what do you expect?

Lines like the Weatherhandler LS-Sears/Viva Touring/Regatta 2 are clearly excellent tires for the price range and market.

Dunlop Sport SPA2, owned by Goodyear is also a great H rated A/S tire. While I am not exactly clear on the official GY-DN relationship I know to order DN's you go through GY cust. service.

Goodyear relies on its high performance racing sponsors for its credit (nascar, indy etc)

They do like others have said make great Ultra High Performance lines (F1 Family etc)

Michelin has weakness too...there MXM4, V4's, XGT's, Pilot A/S all have a sidewall bubble prone contruction too.

Its uncanny common on Michelins...still an excellent tire not without some problems.

So, before you rite off GY please be more specific.

Personally I would be tickled right now if i could test drive a GY F1-GSD3 German made UHP radial...or a Michelin Pilot Sport A/S or Pirelli P-Nero Tire.

Depends on the company and product.

Interesting, I've never had a problem with michelin tires bubbling, and I worked a tire place for a year and a half, not one problem. Most bulges are from sidewall damage, not tire design anyway. Michelins have a very strong sidewall and a stiff bead, I'd say there the least likely to have problems. If Price isn't you #1 priority I will always recomend Michelins. They have a quality that is unmatched by any tire company. Firestones usually of much less quality. Some cheap brands aren't even safe having on a vehicle.

-T

In my experience with goodyears, it has been from the OEM Ford standpoint.

I have goodyear tires on my f150, and I got nearly 50k out of the set of tires, but they were a terrible tire. Dangerous in the wet and snow. Ok in the dry but noisy. The tires are nearly worn out, so I am looking around.

I was at carlisle ford nationals today in the tire tent. I talked to the owner of the tent who also owns a retail tire outlet, and he picks out alot of the tires that he sells.

I have been doing a lot of research and wanted to get the firestone destination LE's.

I told him that, and he said that not alot of people will buy firestone after the explorer problem, but the problem was a explorer problem, not a firestone problem.

He says that firestone right now is putting out probably the best tires they ever have and they are a great bargain.

He agrees that the goodyear truck tires are hard and terrible.

JH

Thread returns from the brink of oblivion for an update. . .

The aftermarket Gooydear Assurance ComfortTreads I put on my 2003 Camry (and described above) are gone. Although initially very smooth, they quickly developed a high-speed vibration. Three balancing attempts later, they were still shaking. I assume one of the tires got out of round, or maybe had a belt separation problem, but as busy as I am, I just decided to call it quits and exercise Goodyear's 30 day money-back guarantee. The car is now wearing Michelin Hydroedges and riding as smoothly as ever.

quote:

Although initially very smooth, they quickly developed a high-speed vibration.

Same problem I had with 2 sets of the OE Goodyears on my Ciera. Thought it was the car till I put a set of Sumitomos on it. Current Goodyear Aquatread IIIs are doing great though.

Thanks for the followup. I've heard of similar problems with Goodyear tires, but never had any probelems with my Vivas.

I'm also glad you like the Hydroedge, since they seem to have replace the X-ones. Which looked like the best all around tires available.

-T

Other than the AquaTred III tires on my sedate old Mercedes Diesel sedan, I think you can do better than GY.

The BF Goodrich line is now produced by Michelin, and I think there are some good choices there. I have a set of KDWS all season high performance tires on an early 1990s Infiniti Q45 (size 225/55-16) and they are excellent, and under $100 each at TireRack.

On my 3/4 ton Duramax GMC pick-up, for replacement I am looking at either Bridgestone Revos or Nokians, a Finnish brand with a cult-like following in the snow belt. Many truck tire Nokians are now made in the USA by Cooper Tire. (reverse outsourcing!!)

I decided to go with BFG Tractin TAs (H rated) for my next set. Only about 400 miles on them thus far, but I certainly like them! "AA" traction, quiet and a smooth ride. I have them in the 235/60 series (16"). They get very good reviews at TireRack.
cheers.gif

Best MaxPerformance Summer Tire:
Goodyear GS-D3 (German Goodyears like German Castrol is not the US Crap) - tirerack

Best Budget High Performance Tire Summer:
Yokohama ES100 - tirerack

Best High Performance All-Season:
Bridgestone RE-950 - tirerack

Best Budget High Performance All-Season:
Falken ZE-512 - vulcantire ($78.00 235/55ZR16)

Gene

Here's my negative vote for Goodyear. I've had several sets in the last few years: Eagle GA (wore out VERY quickly, even on the "gently woman driven" family car); Regatta (replaced Eagle GAs, OK tire, lived full rated life); Integrity (OEM on my minivan, wore out VERY VERY quickly and were terrible in every measure); Regatta 2 (replacement for the Integrity, wore out in 25k miles, rated for 70k). Interesting comments about regarding Viva line, I'll keep that in mind at replacement time, but I'll lean toward other brands...

quote:

have a set of KDWS all season high performance tires on an early 1990s Infiniti Q45

Tires are different in different applications, but on the Impala, the KDWS is one of the lowest rated tire choices. If they made a KDW in our size(255/50-17)...

Just starting to get Kumho Supra ASX reports and they seem to be a better tire as well as the Continental ContiExtreme Contact, but the summer tires such as the Kumho 712, Hankook K104, Fuzion, and Bridgestone RE750 are much better performance tires.

I was giving a good word for Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds earlier on this forum... I'm not so sure about that anymore. After speaking with my fellow tire-shop workers a couple weeks ago, they don't think very highly of the TripleTreds. The salesmen love to sell them, though. More commission off of them than its direct competitor, the Michelin HydroEdge.

That having been said, they tell me the Michelins are a superior tire. No one would really give me any great reasons why, but they think that way. I am a big fan of Michelin already, my family having had some great results with several different models of Michelins. Plus I'm picking up and working with tires every day. Just the general feel of their construction makes an impression too. Goodyear has attempted to copy Michelin's stiff but flexible sidewall with their TripleTreds. If you've handled passenger car Michelins off of a rim, you know what I'm talking about. Michelin sidewalls and beads are relatively stiff.. but towards the top of the sidewall, near where it meets the tread, it flexes. So it gives a responsive ride but at the same time a soft ride. They also simply feel like quality tires... they tend to balance quite nicely as well. The construction is more even.

Goodyears are O.K, but for my money, it's Michelin. Besides, they're in F1
wink.gif

I have a set of Goodyear Integritys on my 99 Corolla(factory set).These tires are terrible.Noisy as heck and terrible in the rain and snow.A real POS tire.

I have Goodyear Conquest tires on the '02 Cavalier and they are pretty good except noisey. Real good traction in the snow and rain. The Goodyear Wranglers on the '01 Dodge truck however are pretty sorry. Don't seem to be lasting exceptionally well and are scary in the snow or heavy rain. Quiet ride, though.
cheers.gif

My 02 Cavalier came with Goodyear Eagle RS-A's. They are wearing very well and seem to stick to the road even in the wet well enough. However on some of the more textured concretes, they are unacceptably noisy, one of the worst features of the car.

I think tires in general have moved in the direction of wear like iron and ride and hold the road in the wet that way too.

I bought a set of F1-GS-D3's for my car and they are the most anmazing tires I've ever owned! My last set was BFG Comp T/A VR4's and they were pretty good and lasted a long time, but dry/wet traction was lacking. I could spin the wheels anywhere in first gear and some of second. But with the D3's it just hooks and goes. Road noise and comfort are normal. I havn't driven enough on them to test the rain performance or tread durability but judging by the reviews on tirerack.com I won't be disappointed!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:
Best MaxPerformance Summer Tire:
Goodyear GS-D3 (German Goodyears like German Castrol is not the US Crap) - tirerack

I've got the US made F1 GS D3s on my Firebird right now and they are awesome! They hook up very well at the dragstrip and work awesome in the rain.

My problems with Goodyear tires is lack of consistancy. Seems that when I buy a set of 4 daily drivers that 3 would balance out with 1/2 to 1 oz or less and one would need so much that 1/3 of the rim was covered with weight so I refused that tire. They need to develope some before we make the tire changes in the manufacturing process. I would suspect that in an effort to acheive max tire per hour output that the quality issues has taken second or third place. I would like to see an American made tire company produce the best tires. Untill the bottom line is not theonly priority we will continue to see the blimp and their excellent racing tires while the daily driver get the below average quality tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back