New GM Camry Accord fighter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spotted an Opel dealer last time I was in Germany and decided to go in and have a look at the Insignia. It's a gorgeous car and I think will make an excellent addition to the Buick lineup. Of all the cars GM has brought over from overseas, the Insignia is one of the best!

I hope that it looks just as good in Buick trim as it does in Opel trim. It would also be nice if they sold it with the standard transmission that's available in the Insignia, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

A Regal based on an Opel platform? Sounds like one of the current Saturn models.
The domestic manufacturers have been introducing these so called Camry and Accord fighters for 25+ years and have continued to shed market share in that critical category.

Good for Buick, making the Regal not just another badge-engineered (for the US at least!) W-body like it was. Hope it's as indestructible as the last ones were!

That is one sharp-looking car. The side profile looks very European. Not surprising seeing its heritage. I'd look hard at one. If they offered a fuel-efficient four with a stick shift, I'd look even harder.

It looks like a million bucks and I would buy one in a heartbeat if I was in the market for a new car, but unfortunately it is from GM which has robbed tax payers IMO, and has a very poor record for quality so pardon me for not trusting them and letting other poor joe-consumers be the guinea pigs.
wink.gif

I dont think it will give Camry or Accord a hard time in sales. Thats what GM said about the current Malibu...however it looks like the Fusion out sold them this month and sales didnt even come close to the Camccords.

Btw this looks a lot like the new Buick Lacrosse and they look around the same size, isnt this what got GM in a mess? Too many overlapping models? And what is Buick supposed to be? Luxury? Near Luxury? Why cant GM follow the Toyota/Honda/Nissan platform? A basic brand and a luxury brand, it works for them.

GM makes excellent automatic transmissions and automotive air conditioners but they have problems in the gasket department. Hopefully these vehicles will have engines that can keep the anti-freeze and motor oil separated.

Gm already market an excellent Opel in the US , its called a Caddilac CTS, they'd be stupid to market against themselves.

Tundraz

I think the Regal suffers from a pedigree problem. They were the older folk who would drive them.

If GM is serious about targetting Camry/Accord owners, they need to build something more youthful I think. The new Camry and Accord are rather sporty (ie. Accord coupe!)

The older Regals were kinda bland.
00buickregal.jpg

Originally Posted By: Joe1
A Regal based on an Opel platform? Sounds like one of the current Saturn models.
The domestic manufacturers have been introducing these so called Camry and Accord fighters for 25+ years and have continued to shed market share in that critical category.

I was thinking the same thing. Unless they can offer a well equiped 4 cyl version for less then $20k, provide 20 years of reliability data, offer a resale value on par with Toyota and Honda I don't see this pulling away too many Accord/Camry buyers.

Originally Posted By: Joe1

The Opel Insignia is a cool looking car. But good luck getting people out of their Camrys & Accords. What GM doesn't seem to get is that most of the people driving Camrys and Accords were once driving domestics and were turned off by lack of styling or quality/reliability. (me included). So, why should I give GM another chance? They better have a really good reason other that "buy American". Since we all already bought American to the tune of $60 billion. I think they are too far in the hole with too many former customers to be successful. People forget the low price they paid when they have to spend countless hours fighting a dealership over poor quality issues with their new car. The thousands of happy motoring miles I had with my GM trucks were erased from my mind by the arrogance of the GM service people.

They are just going to have to get rid of that ugly arshe front grill. They will have a hard time replacing Accord/Camry. Now the new Ford Taurus is looking pretty now.

I seriously doubt you'll get very many Accord owners to even consider stepping foot onto a GM dealership to look for a 'comparable' sedan.

The Accord is so much farther ahead of GM that they aren't even in the same Continent.

I'm assuming that the 4 cylinder that they speak of will be the Ecotec 2.4 liter.

Any guesses on the V6? The 3.0 that is currently standard in the LaCrosse?

If that's the two engines, then those engines are the same ones that will be available in the LaCrosse (the 2.4 will become the standard engine in the LaCrosse sometime soon).

A Century and Regal were both sold in the US but were basically the same. The Regal was the upscale version.

Both were very plain in the later years, just like grandma liked 'em.

Trivia: The GNX is a Regal.

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
I think the Regal suffers from a pedigree problem. They were the older folk who would drive them.

If GM is serious about targetting Camry/Accord owners, they need to build something more youthful I think. The new Camry and Accord are rather sporty (ie. Accord coupe!)

The older Regals were kinda bland.
00buickregal.jpg

If I saw anyone under the age of 70 driving that thing, I'd think to myself that they must have borrowed their grandmother's car for the day. Seriously. I can't imagine a 20's or 30's something couple shopping for anything like that in a GM showroom.

There's an intangible thing that high end (and even low end) Japanese cars have that domestics have never gotten right. A balance of looks, fit, finish, feel, "coolness factor", engineering and QUALITY.

Don't hate the messenger. Sales numbers speak for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back